Can anyone explain why we need Daylight Saving Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will make a lot of difference for some of us when it's not dark at 5pm in December. Maybe we'll be able to drive until 6pm. ;)

My theory:
If you live in the tropics you have a good balance of daylight vs darkness, year round. Folks living in the mid to higher latitudes benefit the most from DS, me thinks...

My theory:
If you live in the tropics you have a good balance of daylight vs darkness, year round. Folks living in the mid to higher latitudes benefit the most from DS, me thinks...

My theory is everyone in the country benefits from year round DST, some more than others. This part of California has a Mediterranean Climate, not tropical by the way. Not to mention grilling in December here is a lot more pleasant if it's not dark at 5pm.

...When we lived in Aransas Pass Tex. it is located right on the cusp of the next western time zone. Bright daylight at 10 p.m...
Are you sure about that, Addie? Unless they have drastically changed the time zone map since you lived there, you weren't anywhere near the Pacific time zone. In fact, this chart shows that the very latest sunset is just before 8:29 PM, with last light before 9:00 PM. Sunrise and Sunset Times in Aransas Pass, TX. I think your rememberer needs a little dusting off. ;)

...My parents somehow got us into bed when they wanted us to ? I still miss them.
I know I'd conk out every night! Between biking and dodge ball and going to the swimming pool or tennis courts, I was dog tired every night. No one had to beg me to head to bed, but Mom had to remind me to shower before. "You are NOT going to bed with that dirt on you!" :LOL:

I didn't mind DST and all that. What I minded was Congress moving up the start of DST from where it used to be. It was supposed to save energy costs doing that, but studies have now shown that it has been of no real benefit, energy wise. Congress has been too entrenched in the status quo to set it back to when it used to start and end.

I mind the change as well. A lot of other countries sort of have to do it at the same time as the US because so much business is done with the US. Can you imagine the confusion if Canada had stuck to the old dates? We didn't necessarily want to change, but pretty much had to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom