"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #81
Certified Pretend Chef

Even so, pets don't read clocks. With DST it's dark later in the morning so they would be prone to sleeping later as well, based on the degree of darkness. i.e., if your pets sleep 10 hours during standard time, why wouldn't they sleep 10 hours during DST?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #82
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Even so, pets don't read clocks. With DST it's dark later in the morning so they would be prone to sleeping later as well, based on the degree of darkness. i.e., if your pets sleep 10 hours during standard time, why wouldn't they sleep 10 hours during DST?
Is that a trick question? There were too many numbers in that question for me (a math failure) to even begin to answer! But I did add 10 and 10 together and got 20 with the help of my fingers and toes.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Just in:

" (Reuters) - Switching over to daylight saving time, and losing one hour of sleep, raised the risk of having a heart attack the following Monday by 25 percent, compared to other Mondays during the year, according to a new U.S. study released on Saturday....
I found another bit of glum news that is apparently attributed to switching back and forth from DST: Daylight Saving Time Spring 2014: Why Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving A snippet:

...DST has adverse effects on the American workplace.

"Following [the start and end of DST], employees slept 40 min less, had 5.7% more workplace injuries, and lost 67.6% more work days because of injuries than on non phase change days,"...

While doodling a little googling I ran across ^that^ article about no DST in AZ. As a funny aside, our son went to college there. When he asked why they didn't observe it he was told they didn't want more sunlight because it was too danged hot already! He said if he was up late he would see joggers on the street getting their runs in before sunrise...sometimes out there beating the pavement at 3 AM or so. He'd also hear lawn mowers kick off early in the morning - it had to be done during the coolest part of the day. Why? It's a desert! Don't even try to grow grass unless you're a golf course. And golf courses in a desert climate are a whole 'nuther topic!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #84
Head Chef

CG related:
" would see joggers on the street getting their runs in before sunrise"

In Albuquerque (and probably other hot cities) the malls would be open for people to jog/walk their daily exercise in air conditioned comfort.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #85
Master Chef

I think a lot of malls do that no matter where they are. I worked at a mall south of Cleveland; we had a Mall Walkers Club that could access the mall as early as 8:00AM, but the stores didn't open until 10. Also, a cousin in Allentown goes walking with his buddy most mornings, then they stop for coffee when the mall restaurants open up. I'm going to guess that malls do that less for the comfort and convenience of walkers than to get you to window shop and, ultimately, buy stuff.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #86
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I think a lot of malls do that no matter where they are. I worked at a mall south of Cleveland; we had a Mall Walkers Club that could access the mall as early as 8:00AM, but the stores didn't open until 10. Also, a cousin in Allentown goes walking with his buddy most mornings, then they stop for coffee when the mall restaurants open up. I'm going to guess that malls do that less for the comfort and convenience of walkers than to get you to window shop and, ultimately, buy stuff.
Gee, ya think?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #87
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why is the loss of an hour of sleep an automatic assumption? Unless you've set an alarm clock to wake you at a set time every Sunday morning, there's no reason you can't sleep until you wake naturally. If you wake up naturally an hour earlier, you can't blame that on DST.
Not everyone has the luxury of being about to wake naturally Sunday morning. My kids have religious school that we need to wake up for. If it were not religious school it would be something else (sports, acting, dance, whatever). We have to set an alarm Sat night and get up early Sunday always.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #88
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of being about to wake naturally Sunday morning...
GB, that's why I mentioned, "...Unless you've set an alarm clock to wake you at a set time... Some folks have to get up on a schedule. Y=They have the option of going to bead early.

If you live in Chicago and fly to Boston to visit friends, you lose an hour. No one cries about that hour. I just think DST gets more bad press than it warrants.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #89
Chief Eating Officer

Sorry Andy. I must not have seen that part. However, going to bed early still = a lost hour.

I am sure there are many people in Chicago who have never been out of Chicago. They have the option of going to Boston or not going to Boston. Not the same with DST. As for no one crying about losing that hour from travel, just what are you basing that on? Plenty of people complain about that. You might not notice it the same way since not everyone is traveling the same day so not everyone is experiencing the loss all together at once, but trust me, people most certainly do complain about losing time when traveling.

Personally, I have zero issues with DST. It does not bother me one bit. I could take it or leave it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #90
Certified Pretend Chef

I promise the hour you lost in the Spring will magically reappear in the Fall. Every year.