Can anyone suggest a good bird feeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I am clearly the worst bird feeder picker outer.
Problems Ive come across are:
1) Squirrels
2) even if squirrel proof, when they climb on it half the seed dumps on the ground
3) The ones that have a device to prevent the seeds from dumping often get clogged up with moisture
4) cheap material that , even if squirrel proof, the squirrels actually gnaw through the material to get to the seed.
5) good for the smaller birds, but the bigger birds have difficulty feeding from it.

It seems like every time i buy a feeder to solve one problem, I encounter another problem.

Larry

Alrighty then. Larry, the best investment I've made are squirrel baffles that look like umbrellas. I bolted them on about a foot or so below the feeder. Another thing I did was take out the wimpy shepherds crooks that the raccoons would regularily bend to the ground, and embedded steel pipes in concrete that I bolted T pipes on to to hang the feeders. They're also over 6 feet tall. After many years of losing so-called "squirrel-proof" feeders, IMO, there's no such thing. Every squirrel-proof feeder we've ever had wasn't. The coons liked to remove them and drag them into the woods.

The baffles have worked for us for many years. It's comical to watch the critters try. Wish I could remember where I got them. I have a wire mesh ball feeder and another larger one. Neither feeder is squirrel or coon proof, but they don't need to be with the baffles.

Last edited:
We have one similar to this one:

vari-crafts-wire-cage-seed-3-gal-feeder-vcav1mnp-256px-256px.jpg

Ours does not have that large reservoir atop the tube, though. It works fine, although the squirrels will cling to it, or sit on our flat wire cage top one, and try to gnaw through the wire. The feeder is way over ten years old and they haven't succeeded yet.

As I said, ours doesn't have a seed bucket on top, just a feeder tube with a cap. Therefore, when we got ours it was probably $50 or so. This style is all over the internet with pricing, but I haven't seen anything much under $100.

In case you want more info, and a better picture:

VARI-CRAFTS WIRE CAGE SEED 3 GAL FEEDER VCAV1MNP : The Bird Store and More

IMO, it isn't a good idea to feed any wild life. Think of what you are saying about the squirrels and raccoons. Not to mention that feral and "outdoor" cats can find "baited" feeders are a place for easier bird hunting.

I just open the 25 pound bag of sunflower seeds and toss them on the ground, finders keepers. Everybody manages to get some...even the bird hunters. I keep suet cakes up high for birds with no problems with squirrels. And seeded peanut butter roosts.

Back
Top Bottom