"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #11
Head Chef
Dina: Sorry I missed that their project was for charity see edited notes in red:

Kids can interview kids who work such as babysitters, paper carriers, lawn mowing...etc. (who help their parents and buy food, gasoline, baby diapers, etc.)

Kids can interview kids who roller blade, skateboard, ride bicycles, or walk.
(who ride and perform for such groups as D.A.R.E.)

kids can interview kids who own pets and/or working on a 4H project and have rabbits/horses/pigs/dogs/cats/lizards.
(who also donate their time for Animal Resuce Services)

Interview kids who are young musicians or artist.
(who perform for many groups and paint art projects or make parade floats)

Interview kids who have traveled outside the United States and kids who have traveled taking an Amtrak Train or an Airplane or even a long car trip.
(accompanying an elderly relative to a family reunion, wedding, or funeral)

Interview kids about the latest movies they went to see.
(and how many took their younger siblings as a service to their parents.)

Interview kids about computer software, ipods, cell phones and video games.
(how they are using those services when they walk for a charity, play video games at a charity auction, or donate time in an after school homework program.)

Interview kids who collect stuff.
(a lot of their collections are put on display at local museums who are looking for contributions)

Interview kids who eat at fast food restaurants.
(most fast food restaurants have special nights set aside and donate a % of sales during that time to the charity of your choice.)

Interview kids who are taking classes in First Aid with the Red Cross.
(Future Volunteers of America.)

Interview kids about fashion, make-up, hair styles, and jewelry.
(They clean their closets and give lots of stuff to Goodwill every year.)

Interview kids about what music they are listening to.
(Most kids listening to music are patroits at heart. Look for them to contribute to the Military.)

There's tons more kids like talking about so add a recipe for s'mores and have FUN.
No One is Totally Shallow ()

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
What a totally inspired group of talented women you all are. I love your ideas and have mentioned them to my grandaughter who also thought this was a great idea and will pass it onto her teacher as a project for the class for the new year.
Dina: Good on your daughter and her classmates, and I guess there is a talented teacher in there somewhere.

Benni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
Senior Cook
column titles...People Making a Difference.
Because We Care
Helping Hearts
Special People
sage™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
How about calling it "In Your Corner" (of the world, or referring to being supportive of others)?

Dina, what a special bunch of kids. I know how proud you must be. Perhaps they could talk to animal shelter folks too. Thats one that inspires kids. Do you have community organizations there? Someone from your community league might be able to give you a good perspective of what is going on in your area.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
What wonderful ideas you all have to offer. My daughter will be so glad to see all of your responses and ideas. Getting the kids involved in helping out and them sharing their stories about their experiences will also be something they can share in the newspaper to motivate other kids in their school to do the same.

There's no teacher involved in this endeavor. The kids have come up with their own ideas. They all came up with their roles in putting together this school newspaper. There's a cartoonist, a typist, a couple of photographers, journalists, reporters, editors etc. I am proud of these kiddos. The school librarian will be lending them the library for their meetings and I will be driving them around to do their charity interviews and help along the way.

Thank you all so much for your ideas. Please keep them coming. I'll keep you all posted on what the kids accomplish with your help.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
What about VA hospitals or legions
mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, Dina. Contact your local United Way office - they're involved in a huge variety of charitable endeavors. I used to work for a non-profit UW org that included among its activities a homeless prevention program, where people were provided with a loan and financial counseling to keep them in their homes; a USDA program to train child-care providers in child development and nutrition; a child-care referral service; and a crisis line to help people in emergency circumstances find help. It was also associated with another organization that organized summer reading programs for at-risk children, and rewarded them at the end of the summer with a free dinner and ball game with the team members of the local AAA baseball team. They also sent the kids to an overnight camp, something that their families could not have provided for them. That's just a small sample of what the United Way is involved in. HTH.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #18
Master Chef
Goodwill, Salvation Army, local food banks
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #19
Master Chef
Such great ideas for such a wonderful group of kids. You might contact your local Boy Scouts organizations and see if any of their boys are working on have completed their Eagle Scout badge which usually involves some hard work service project and interview the scout personally. Or any scouts (girls and boys) that are involved in service projects.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote