"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Can I pick your brain on something?

My 6th grade daughter and 11 of her classmates have started a school newspaper composed of interviews, photos, comics, advise columns, etc. My daughter and another little gal are the journalists who will be interviewing different charity entities. Their plan is to interview shelters, humane society, salvation army, children's hospitals, nursing homes and such. What other suggestions do you have as far as what other places they should visit for their interviews? What name should they call their column? What do you think about "Inspired Mission"? Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dina, one of the richest places for information is a senior citizens center or retirement facility. The stories these wonderful folks have are nothing short of awesome.

Also, if they need a "fun" story, they could chronicle the activities at their local nursing home. I know that sounds boring but, our local one has a "senior" prom annually where they crown a queen and king of the prom, which is a dance, if you wish, with music and festive eats.

Have the students scour the area for great community stories.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Good for them Dina! Are they doing this on their own or do they have school backing/resources? I was on our school newspaper in Junior High. I think I was a little immature though and did not take it as seriously as I should have.

I think the list of places they plan to interview is already pretty impressive. Are they going to call and make an appointment to interview at each of those places (I'm sure they have planned on that but wanted to mention it just in case.). Maybe when they are done interviewing the people there they could (with adult supervision) do kind of a "man in the street" kind of interview, asking people if they get involved with service organizations, or "What can you tell me about the [humane society, nursing home, etc.]?" Oh, another place they could possibly interview at is the blood bank.

Good luck to your daughter and all the kids on this venture.

Barbara
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Katie,
My daughter is excited with your idea about a nursing home's event, more so if there's a dance or prom involved. I will be the parent helping the kids out in this venture. I'll be the one setting up their appointments for their interviews and driving them around. Thank you so much Katie. We love your suggestions and will take them into account.

Barbara,
Your suggestion on interview people on the street is good. The blood bank is another place to add to their list of places to visit. Their purpose for these interviews are to inform the students at their school on what's happening outside their community and how other people help each other. They're still brainstorming on a title for their column. Thanks so much to you too Barbara.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dina, I can't tell you how much this "senior prom" event has enriched the lives of the residents at the nursing home here. The ladies all look forward to "dressing up" and looking fabulous. The activities area of the facility is decorated like a prom - streamers, balloons, etc. - and the kitchen/dietary staff serve party-acceptable foods. One of our local bands donates their time for the music. Folks show up with their cameras for pics, etc. This has been an annual event for quite a few years now. You wouldn't believe the reaction we get when the "king" and "queen" of the prom are crowned. The sparkle in the eyes of the man and woman who are crowned is priceless.

Our "senior prom" was begun as an entry into the "Make a Difference Day" contest many years ago. Didn't win nationally, but it was a winner here for our senior citizens and the community.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love those Senior Proms! There is a big one in San Diego every year (at least there was when I was still there).

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Dina, seeing as this is an educational project, I would suggest they check out a literacy volunteer organization. As far as the name of their project, I suggest the kids brainstorm ideas, and then take a vote.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Another great place to interview, if they have an office near you, is Habitat for Humanity. A thing just came on TV about it, so that reminded me.

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
Master Chef

I think the kids need to come up with a name that is a little more representative of them ... and it depends on if they are going to have projects in association with their stories (like collecting food for the food bank - homeless shelters, blankets/socks/clothes for the homeless shelter, toys for the children's hospital, school supplies for kids overseas, toiletry supplies for our military on active duty - or even just letters, a money raising project like a bake sale to raise money to give to the fire department to help them buy smoke dectectors for low income families, going out and raking leaves and picking up garbage at a Habitat for Humanity project, etc.) - or just talking about what needs to be done.

Okay, "We are America, too!" or "Charity Begins at Home" may be a little too progressive for kids - "Kids can make a difference, too" or "Kids can help" - or something along those lines would just be starting points for discussion. But - it would open the discussion on how even elementary school kids can make a difference in the world around them ...

I wish your daughter and her fellow students all the best in this endeavor!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 AM   #10
Head Chef

Dina:

Kids can interview kids who work such as babysitters, paper carriers, lawn mowing...etc.

Kids can interview kids who roller blade, skateboard, ride bicycles, or walk.

kids can interview kids who own pets and/or working on a 4H project and have rabbits/horses/pigs/dogs/cats/lizards.

Interview kids who are young musicians or artist.

Interview kids who have traveled outside the United States and kids who have traveled taking an Amtrak Train or an Airplane or even a long car trip.

Interview kids about the latest movies they went to see.

Interview kids about computer software, ipods, cell phones and video games.

Interview kids who collect stuff.

Interview kids who eat at fast food restaurants.

Interview kids who are taking classes in First Aid with the Red Cross.

Interview kids about fashion, make-up, hair styles, and jewelry.

Interview kids about what music they are listening to.

There's tons more kids like talking about so add a recipe for s'mores and have FUN.