Can I run this idea by you all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
A produce storage system for the kitchen that incorporates the use of nitrogen gas to drive out oxygen, which is the leading spoiler of stored fruits and vegetable. It would consist of various sized plastic storage containers with an inlet to inject nitrogen gas as well as a one-way exhaust vent so the oxygen is forced out.

I'm looking into possibly making a prototype and doing comparison tests to see if the container with nitrogen injected keeps produce fresh longer. The final product as envisioned would have small cylinders filled with nitrogen and or carbon dioxide. It would inject a measured amount of gas suitable for the various sizes of containers provided.

Costs I've yet to consider. 1. The price to produce the small nitrogen cylinders. 2. The price to design and manufacture the plastic storage containers with gas insert and exhaust vents. 3. The cost effectiveness of the nitrogen with repeated opening and closing of the containers.

I would make a crude homemade prototype first to evaluate the effectiveness of the nitrogen gas keeping produce fresh longer and by how much longer.

I'm only at the feasibility stage at this point. Feel free to comment, please.

The principle of using and inert gas, like nitrogen, to keep food from oxidizing makes sense. How you do it and make it cost effective is the real question. It will need to be cheaper than just throwing the oxidized food away, for the average consumer to buy into it.

BTW, oxidized food is not the same as spoiled food. Many foods that are still perfectly safe to cook and eat just don't look good, so people throw them away.

Finding a way to keep perfectly good food looking good would be great. I can easily imagine that tons of food gets thrown away because it doesn't look good, due to oxygenation.

I wish you the best!

CD

Thanks Casey.

I Googled food grade nitrogen cylinders. That'll cost me $70 at least. A standard rubbermaid type container will do. I think if I look hard enough I can find a one way vent valve of some kind, tho I may have to purchase 100 of them minimum ($100). I'd cut the lid and glue that in. I'd need to find a small gas intake nipple and glue that onto the lid, and then find a compatible tank and hose connector to inject the gas from the tank. I'd make a comparison to see if it extends the freshness to a degree that warrants the overall projected cost and touted benefits.

I envision it as a product that will appear on QVC or HSN within 5 years. The exact opposite of sucking gas out, rather, putting gas in. ;) Crazy? Maybe. :LOL:

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love it if I could keep my fresh produce long enough to eat it rather than it's rotting and being tossed.

Keep in mind that if you don't use all of the food in a container at the same time, the containers would have to be re-charged after each opening/closing.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love it if I could keep my fresh produce long enough to eat it rather than it's rotting and being tossed.

Keep in mind that if you don't use all of the food in a container at the same time, the containers would have to be re-charged after each opening/closing.

The buyer would have to keep in mind, this might be a way to keep produce fresh, but not if accessed every day.

Last edited:
The thing that comes to mind is "Why?". For how long do you want to keep food? nto the next millennium? If you are thinking about Armageddon you should bear in mind that there probably wouldn't be any nitrogen cylinders available. The principle of refridgeration was invented nearly 200 years ago and household ones were available from about 1913. I can only assume this new idea is a man thing similar to reinventing the wheel.

It reminds me of the very old joke - "My wife deals with the trivial things like the laundry, what we should eat, looking after the children, etc., while I concentrate on the important things - such as whether we should develop the atom bomb"

Last edited:
The thing that comes to mind is "Why?". For how long do you want to keep food? nto the next millennium? If you are thinking about Armageddon you should bear in mind that there probably wouldn't be any nitrogen cylinders available.

I can only assume this is a man thing.

It reminds me of the very old joke - "My wife deals with the trivial things like the laundry, what we should eat, looking after the children, etc., while I concentrate on the important things - such as whether we should develop the atom bomb"

No need to be so nasty/negative. He's simply trying to come up with a way to extend the life of produce in the fridge.

Actually it WAS born of something. Making greens last longer before they're compost material. To that end, manufacturers of produce products pump nitrogen/carbon dioxide into the package. I don't need it to last super long, but longer than opening the bag and having oxygen start doing its thing to spoil what's inside.

Um, you could buy a head of iceberg or romaine. I don't have a problem with those spoiling rapidly. Heck, we went on vacation for two weeks with a couple small heads of romaine still in their bag in the veggie drawer. They were perfectly edible when we returned from our trip.

There are wine cabinets that use nitrogen. The ones I have seen were in bars or restos that serve wine by the glass. The nitrogen is pumped into the bottle, forcing the wine out and keeping oxygen out of the bottle. Yes, there is a fancy valve inserted into the bottle. Maybe you could get some ideas from the design of those cabinets.

No need to be so nasty/negative. He's simply trying to come up with a way to extend the life of produce in the fridge.
No, Andy. It's perfectly reasonable to ask why and he DID ask for opinions.

When we are asked for our opinion do you think we should we should put on a false smile and say "What a wonderfully clever idea " when it clearly is no such thing in a domestic scenario. And then snigger about the OP's silly idea behind his back?

No, Andy. It's perfectly reasonable to ask why and he DID ask for opinions.

When we are asked for our opinion do you think we should we should put on a false smile and say "What a wonderfully clever idea " when it clearly is no such thing in a domestic scenario. And then snigger about the OP's silly idea behind his back?

It's fine to offer constructive criticism. You didn't do that.

"For how long do you want to keep food? nto the next millennium? If you are thinking about Armageddon you should bear in mind that there probably wouldn't be any nitrogen cylinders available."

"I can only assume this new idea is a man thing similar to reinventing the wheel."

"It reminds me of the very old joke - "My wife deals with the trivial things like the laundry, what we should eat, looking after the children, etc., while I concentrate on the important things - such as whether we should develop the atom bomb""

This isn't constructive criticism. I see sarcasm and male bashing. Both things better kept to yourself.

I hink that this is a great idea if it could be made inexpensively, and safely. Maybe someday we will all have a Caslonerator (inert gas fresh food storage unit) in our kitchens right next to the refrigerator and microwave.

Any cost effective device that prevents food waste is a good thing.

Last edited:
When we are asked for our opinion do you think we should we should put on a false smile and say "What a wonderfully clever idea " when it clearly is no such thing in a domestic scenario.

I'm sure some thought that when the first domestic vacuum sealer was proposed ("...it clearly is no such thing in a domestic scenario"). There are now millions of them sitting on kitchen counters and in kitchen cupboards. :ohmy:

Last edited:
I`ve always wondered why people in colder climates just can`t use the outside air in the winter to keep their refrigerators cold..Hook your fridge to the outside using a vent like your clothes dryer, exept this would work in reverse..when your fridge got too warm a fan would come on and suck the cold air from outside into the fridge..you could have a series of filters so you don`t get any unwanted debris or critters...up here, we get months of freezing weather..not sure why it isn`t done

I hink that this is a great idea if it could be made inexpensively, and safely. Maybe someday we will all have a Caslonerator (inert gas fresh food storage unit) in our kitchens right next to the refrigerator and microwave.

I'm looking to turn a simple idea into a 30 minute informercial and product as seen on QVC. Containers and bags allowing nitrogen gas to be introduced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom