"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Master Chef

Mom was a good cook.. I remember her cream puffs and potato salad . I miss my mom.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

My mom grew up on a farm. HER mom often helped with the field work leaving my mom to do the cooking and cleaning. Both women though were good cooks but kept to simple country dishes. My dad's mom was a great baker! Her meals were okay, nothing special but man, could she bake pies, cakes, cookies, candies! It was always awesome going to her house for the homemade sweets. My mom taught me how to cook and when I was in 6th grade I planned and cooked dinner for the whole family. I made lasagne, salads, garlic bread, and baked alaska for dessert. Mom only helped by making sure I had all the utensils and ingredients. She left us many great recipes. My sisters and I are still going through her cards. Some are so old and faded they are hard to read. I guess I have my mom to thank for my cooking skills what little ones I have.
So far, my sisters and I have each tackled a different dish that was Mom's signature. I make her dressing for thanksgiving as well as her gravy and her potato salad and ham salad. One sister makes her doughnuts, the other makes her apple salad. These are the dishes that we have made that taste just like mom made. We have others but these are what we eat when we want to taste her cooking without her. I miss her alot.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom was such a good cook! Nothing fancy (usually--but not always the case), but good hearty meals. All of our friends wanted to eat at our house. Whenever I make something that turns out as good as hers, I am so proud of myself! She made the best chop suey, lasagna, meatloaf, and so much more. She was also a great baker and made wonderful breads, lemon meringue and chocolate meringue pies (actually all her pies were fantastic), and you name it, it was all great. I miss her for so many other reasons, but I also miss her cooking.

Barbara
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Master Chef

My mom and dad both could cook.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Mom was the daughter of a Swedish Lutheran pastor from BC. After college and grad school in Wash and Calif, she came east to go to Med school in Philly. As an intern she met dad and married. She learned northern European cuisine from her mom and how to be creative on a tight budget as well. (she grew up with a coal fired stove too, and swore till her dying day it made the best breads and pie crusts because of its intense heat.)

Anyway, mom loved all the cooking shows on PBS (public tv) especially Julia Child the French Chef. Cooking was her hobby, her therapy , her relaxation. And we cooked together as a family. As teens, my sis and I were perfectly capable of finishing off cooking a meal if mom was on call at the hospital.

When she retired she really got into the farm markets and finding old world butchers who really knew their craft and although she mostly cooked from fresh, now it became the total concept.

So mom was always a good cook who became an awesome cook. And she is with us today through her recipes and our memories of learning from her all the techniques we use.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

Like Andy's mom, my mother could cook, and provided us with healthy, nutritious meals, but she didn't enjoy it. She did enjoy baking sweets for special occasions, though. Her cakes, pies and cookies were amazing!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My mother was a good cook but didn't like to, she would rather be outside working in the garden.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

My mom was a good cook. Mostly the basics as she worked most of my school years, so that meant I cooked.
Her specialties were spaghetti sauce, lasagna,cream puffs and the best rolled beef roast. Everyone wanted her to make it for the different family doings. Her gravy was to die for. I wish she remembered how she made it. Her turkey stuffing is something my DH just can't get enough of. Fortunately I have really mastered that as simple as it is.
My grandmother was the one that cooked all the ethnic foods I've learned to make, stuffed cabbage, borscht, chicken paprikash, etc. She was also the one that did all the baking, potica, krushiki(sp?), punchki etc.
My grandmother is gone now and my mom has dementia and I'm glad for all they've taught me!

Barb
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Seems like many of us learned to cook in self defense. My mother believed that everything should be well done. Meat so dry you could break it, vegetable mush with grease. Ironically, my dad had a friend that fattened a steer fattened each year and split it, and hunted all fall. We grew a vegetable garden. So, she started with the best of ingredients. I still prefer everything as close to raw as possible
More memories Jim, we brought our kids up on a small property and raised our own cattle for meat. A friend who had more experience than I would plan the kill the night before over many drinks then attack at daylight so you can imagine we would not be at our best when the time came. He would shoot the beast [which I couldn't watch] and I recall him missing once at point blank range. I would then hold the beast up with my Bobcat while he split it with the chain saw, I soon learnt to wear a raincoat for that job. Another time, after much swearing and cursing, we discovered that we had put the chain in back to front.
Then we discovered that one could tenderise meat by marinating it with green Pawpaw, so we fed the beast a diet of Pawpaw for a week before the kill. We almost killed it with diarrhea so had to postpone the kill. --- all good times
Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Master Chef

oh, my goodness..........details, details,......