"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Can your Mother cook?

My memory was jolted last week when my wife and I paid a visit to my 89 year old Mother in our home town. I left home at 17 years old and returned for a short time to marry but moved away again. I recall the coke/wood stove and having to go down to the railway tracks when Dad tooted the whistle when throwing some coal off for us as he went by our house [He was a steam train fireman]. My brothers and I breaking up the coal and Mum cooking over this dreadfully hot stove and I always getting in trouble for not eating my dinner. Dinner was served at 5pm and if you weren't there you missed out, so I was always late.

After we had our two boys Mum and Dad would come visit occasionally and she would always bring tins of assorted biscuits, jam drops, cornflake biscuits etc. That was OK for awhile until the boys started bringing them home from school uneaten. The last straw came when the dog jacked up on them, so I had to politely tell Mom not to bother anymore.

Mom was back in to her best form for our visit, we took the food, she cooked it. Everything gets well done, really well done, like the sausages burnt black well done, the boiled cabbage dissolving in to the water well done, and dinner ready to eat at 2pm.

Two nights of this was enough I'm afraid, no wonder I was a skinny runt when I was a kid, so I'm afraid my Mum is not much of a cook, but she tries ----- God bless her.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Master Chef

my mother was a terrible cook, bless her.........she had other great qualities but cooking wasn't one of them........talk about pyrotechnics......... for all the meats that she cooked there was no worry about e. coli or salmonella......if the bacteria were there they burned up in the funeral pyre which was her whole purpose in the first place........vegetables came out of a can.......no seasonings whatsoever.........cheese sandwiches were tasteless cheese slices with mustard.....no mayo whatsoever......but we always passed our blood tests and physicals so we weren't at any health risks.....though how, I don't know.......she did make great homemade fudge, however.........from Pennsylvania............I miss her burnt offerings........

Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My mother was quite good with basic stuff - she didn't learn until she married. However my grandma produced food which was very interesting. Her pasta salads were renowned in the family.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mine makes one or two things pretty well... but...the rest...not so good
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes my Mother could cook, and I would give all the Gold in the world to hear her call out the back door..."C'mon in Bob..It's supper time"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Master Chef

My mother was an amazing cook. She was from the south and really knew what she was doing. She wasn't one for measuring though so her recipes she wrote down for me aren't exact but after some trial and error I've mastered quite a few of her dishes. God I miss her!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

My mother was a very good cook. She didn't like to cook but did it well. Both my parents came to America from Armenia as young adults. As a result, I was raised on mostly Armenian dishes. I am still trying to re-create some of those foods from Mom's kitchen.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Attie - we ate at 5:00 sharp too!

My sister and I were just talking about this. We remembered about 5 or 6 things - we each called them off - after that, we couldn't remember anything else. Surely there were other things. Her macaroni salad I still make today and it is a favorite with anyone who eats it. She made a "mean" kraut and ribs on the stove and our version of shepherd's pie, Hungarian dishes (paprikash, Goulash, cucumbers/sour cream, Potica). After all us kids were out of the house she did experiment from a little cookbook put out by, of all people, some cigarette company. Let me tell you, that woman could follow directions and produced some stuff that made me take notice! So, while we thought she wasn't adventurous I think she just had her hands full getting a full meal on the table each and every night and couldn't really break out of that box.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Head Chef

Seems like many of us learned to cook in self defense. My mother believed that everything should be well done. Meat so dry you could break it, vegetable mush with grease. Ironically, my dad had a friendt that fattened a steer fattened each year and split it, and hunted all fall. We grew a vegetable garden. So, she started with the best of ingredients. I still prefer everything as close to raw as possible
Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Yes, my mom can cook. I learned all my basics from her and developed my own methods. It's just her and my dad now so its more frozen dinners and salads and sandwiches, even when I come home. But when I was a kid, it was a home cooked meal every night with my dad taking leftovers to work the next day. I miss her stuffed cabbage. Also every Christmas because I don't like ham, we would have a pork roast with scalloped potatos from scratch. She also made fetuccini alfredo homemade - would you like a little pasta with your heavy cream and butter?