"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

I use a prepaid AT&T smartphone with no paid data service. If I need to get online I go to a wifi hotspot. And since I'm not much of a talker/texter I get by with only $25 voice only refills just about every other month.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO and I have a two-year family plan for our cellphones with Verizon. My phone is old and well beyond the penalty phase. Hers is newer and isn't free and clear until this coming March.

I want to switch to another carrier with a less expensive plan but would rather not pay an early termination fee.

Is anyone aware of a means of avoiding the early cancellation charge?
I was in the same boat Andy, but I learned a very hard lesson a year ago.
I wanted to save some money and opted for the Consumer Cellular plan at $15 a month with a free phone. Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network I think.
The very first day, my wife could not reach me and I had zero reception in the next town over. Since I only had it one day, I sent it back.
I never closed the Verizon account and was glad i didn't.
My wife was in the mountains and none of our grandchildren had reception while she had excellent reception. We are both with Verizon.

The lesson I learned was Verizon has the absolute best network and reliability. We pay more for it than some of the others, but at least I am very confident i can make a call if I need to.
I cannot say the same for any other service in our area.
You pay for what you get.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I wanted to save some money and opted for the Consumer Cellular plan at $15 a month with a free phone. Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network I think.
The very first day, my wife could not reach me and I had zero reception in the next town over. Since I only had it one day, I sent it back.
My wife was in the mountains and none of our grandchildren had reception while she had excellent reception. We are both with Verizon.

The lesson I learned was Verizon has the absolute best network and reliability. We pay more for it than some of the others, but at least I am very confident i can make a call if I need to.
That's the reason I stick with Verizon.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Thanks, RB. ATT coverage around here is pretty good.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Cook

Verizon is the best. We have 3 phones on my account and I paid for a lot of data. I don't think the prices are that high; I would have to have purchased two smart phones for example - those are like $600 phones.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Couch View Post
Verizon is the best. We have 3 phones on my account and I paid for a lot of data. I don't think the prices are that high; I would have to have purchased two smart phones for example - those are like $600 phones.

Verizon annoys me. After I sent back a piece of defective equipment, they canceled my unlimited data plan. Even after going straight to the top, I was told there was nothing they could do as unlimited data was no longer in existance unless you were grandfathered in.

We live out in the country, and Verizon is our internet provider. I don't watch YouTube, don't get Netfix or Amazon Prime videos since they eat up our bandwidth and I still have to increase our allotment every month.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks, RB. ATT coverage around here is pretty good.
In our nearest bigger town reception is good also. My grand kids were not appreciative of their provider when they realized once they left the big town, their phones were no longer anything more than a annoyance.
If you travel, I would rethink this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We live out in the country, and Verizon is our internet provider. I don't watch YouTube, don't get Netflix or Amazon Prime videos since they eat up our bandwidth and I still have to increase our allotment every month.
Same here. No cable. We rely on satellite TV and DSL internet.
Directv is great and I would have it over cable any day even with storms causing loss of signal.
But my DSL is horrid. 1.5 mbps is to slow to use the Directv Genie or to use Netflix. I can buy a faster internet speed (mbps), but they told me they could not guarantee faster speeds as the network is old and outdated.
Yet they still actively are recruiting new customers touting "high speed internet" with differing levels of speed. Crooks!

Oh..They are called Windstream. The worst ISP on the planet.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Last month, when DH and I were traveling and I was using my phone a lot for Internet access, I got a text message from Verizon that I was about to go over the data limit. It would cost $10, I think, for another gb, or I could add another gb to our plan for free by responding to the text. So I did! Just a story to illustrate how much they want to keep your business.

We've been with Verizon almost 20 years. When DH finally decided he wanted to get a smartphone, he wanted an iPhone and not to pay any higher fees. He got it. Unlimited talk and text, four gb shared data.
Just a story to illustrate how much they want to keep your business.
I've been with Verizon for 15 years and they always seem to be very responsive every time I ask for anything. I let them know what I want, that I won't be going under contract and they seem to get me what I need.

There are cheaper cell plans out there, but they are best suited for single line use, once you add on another you are about where we are on our family plan. Owning our own equipment, having work discount, brings us to $96/10 gigs unlimited everything else. Many "unlimited" plans will slow you down after a certain amount of data used. And if it is an unlimited on the phone, there is a cap on the wifi hotspot so that people won't use it as their home ISP.

So many games.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Several years ago, we didn't renew our contract with Verizon and switched to Straight talk. You have to buy your own phone but it's worth it!

We both have the Samsung Moto-e and we love them!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate your help.

Now I have to do my part.