"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Re:

Yes of course you can but you have to work hard and long to have a good position. Where as if you have a Culinary certificate then it will be easier for you to reach that position. Your pay scale will also be higher. Why don't you join online culinary programs. Online programs are so flexible that you can also continue your computer course along with it. For getting Top culinary school browse here - CulinarySchoolsU.com

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Home cooking and cooking in a restaurant are 2 different animals. Hmmm amar001 is pushing an online culinary website. Any place I have worked did not hire staff based on certificates. It was experience and promoting from within the ranks whenever possible.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My advise to you, is don't get your career advise from an internet form. Talk to a career councilor in the field of study you want to pursue. If it's culinary, talk to a culinary college staff member who has a varied career background.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I was a CS major in college and I worked catering gigs on weekends. I now tes software for a bank and started my own side catering business. Pro cooking full time is hot dirty work with long hours. Stick with computers or something else but unless you really have a passion for it I would not go into food full time and not the restaurant business.
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
My two cents -
I have read all of the comments and many have brought out several good issues. I have been in the business for many years. I have worked for outstanding Chefs, finished my Apprenticeship through the Department of Labor, attended several Culinary Schools (from Johnson and wale, Both Campuses of the CIA and others) and have worked at various types of restaurants/clubs etc. Currently I work as an Executive Chef, but also teach as an adjunct Professor. I have worked for and with many fine Chefs some of which graduated from culinary schools and some who have not. If you are serious about entering this field I highly recommend taking at least classes at a culinary school to start (sanitation/nutrition/ professional cooking 101 etc). At the same time find a Chef who is willing to take you on so you can learn on the job. A culinary degree will help you land a job, but keeping it depends on many things especially having a strong work ethic and be flexible.

I know there was talk about pay and you know that really depends on the part of the country you reside. Plus the pay really varies depending on what type of restaurant you find yourself working at.

I will say that starting out the hours can seem "unreal", I still work 12 hour days. Most kitchens are noisy, hot, and extremely fast paced. But the days fly by because you stay so busy.
If I can answer any more of your questions please leave me a note.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

For the record, CS is no longer an option. I've ruled it out as a possible career choice.

I've picked up a few books, most notably Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, Steve Lerach's Fried, and Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice. With this eye-witness recounts of restaurant life, I'm still very enthusiastic about a career in the business. I've nearly finished the process of transferring to a culinary school for a Culinary Arts associate's degree. I should be starting classes the second week of January.

Mark (should I call you Chef?), thanks for the informative response. In my eyes, the best thing about culinary school is the networking available to students. For instance, the school that I plan to attend is in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. As part of one of the classes, students and instructors visit some of local restaurants to taste the food and meet the chefs.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Anytime...

You don't need to call me Chef, thats all I hear for 12 hours a day.

One great thing about our field is that most Chefs are very open to helping others. Most of us were mentored by Chefs who really pushed the fact that we need to train the future Chefs who come after us.

I know its not always the case, but we don't allow our cooks, apprentices or students fail because it reflects poorly on us, plus I know in some professions there may be an attitude of "the only way to learn is to make mistakes", while mistakes will happen occasionally, its up to the Chef to prevent them so our guests receive the best food possible and hopefully will come back to dine with us again.

I love being a member of the local Chefs Association, and most cities/towns probably have at least one. They are a fantastic resource to have. First what a great place to network, learn about new/upcoming trends, meet local vendors, and also its hard for some people outside of our field to truly understand what our industry is all about, so talking to others in the field can help you overcome possible problems or situations they may have already dealt with. I know you have a Chefs Association in Minneapolis, because your chapter is in in the Centeral Region of the Amercian Culinary Federation (ACF).

It's also great that you are collecting books from Chefs that you can use to learn more about the field. There are many great ones out there such as "Kitchen Sessions" by Charlie Trotter, "The French Laundry" by Thomas Keller and "the Soul of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman.

If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate.
Best of Luck!
Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Red face reply

doesn't mean you go to culinary school you can work as a chef, most restaurant are looking for experienced and of course a referral from some one they knew.. it takes a proper connection, a little guts and skills. my niece studied a degree in medical technology but loves to cook. what she did was practice baking every free time and sold them on a friend's store. now she got a catering service in the partnership of a friend. they are making it big time. really, it depends on how you carry the situation you are in.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #19
Senior Cook

To become a Chef yes you need experience. Alot of people think upon graduation that they are instantly a Chef (some do get hired directly out of school as a Tournant Chef or possibly a Sous Chef), but thats not always the case. You still have to work your way up the ladder. If you are starting at a restaurant as a line or prep cook they do want you to have your knife skills and a good understanding of HACCP and strong sanitation knowledge, but beyond that Restaurants and Personal Catering companies are run differently and I have worked for both. Alot of catering companies are started by people who just love to cook/bake and can design whatever menu and recipes they would like. At a restaurant there are alot of other concerns that come into play that catering companies don't have to deal with based on the customer demographics they are looking at.

Just remember that a culinary degree gets you the job, your skill level and strong work ethic helps you keep it. Every job is different and what the interviewer is looking for is different. There isn't any set way to get a job although certain people may believe that. When I hire a student, apprentice, cook or Chef I use a different method depending on what position I need to fill at the time. For a position as a Chef I look for experience in different cuisines, different venue types and annual sales numbers. For a Cook I look for line experience and for a student or an apprentice I look for motivation and drive on their part.

I suggest meeting personally with other culinary students or Chefs to get a good feel for what you may expect near you.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Yeah, I don't expect to become Chef immediately following school, not even sous. I expect to gain the basic skills necessary to efficiently work in a kitchen and to then work my way up the ladder.

Mark, how would you recommend connecting with Chefs outside of the classroom? I was thinking of looking into the local Culinary Federation chapter and going from there. It's also been recommended to me that I go to restaurants that I like or that I would want to work and speak with the chef or a manager personally during the slow afternoon hours. If a person in my shoes came to you, Mark, in this manner in your restaurant, how would that go?