"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Look into the Local ACF Chapter first.

I have had Students and Apprentices come to the restaurant wanting to speak with me. First off, call ahead and ask to speak to the Chef, not a Manager or a Cook etc., only the Chef.

Tell him or her what your intentions are and then ask if you can set up a time to meet with him or her at the restaurant. Once you get there thank them for taking time out of their busy day to meet with you. They will probably talk with you and then give you a tour of the kitchen explaining how they operate. if everything goes over well you could ask about how someone applies for a job at the restaurant.

Again first thing I would do is get in contact with your local Chefs Association to start building your networking system.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the great advice Mark. As a Chef, you wouldn't get annoyed at all by a person calling and asking to talk for a few minutes about the job? I guess I just feel that I would be intruding quite a bit by doing so. I plan on checking into the ACF chapter soon, to start networking and meeting other cooking professionals.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Oh, I am not saying that the Chef might not be busy when you call, and might even be annoyed. Not at you, but because of the interuption. I have received calls right during the heat of service and I can imagine how I must sound then when talking to the person who called. They may just have someone take your number and ask the Chef to call you back.

If you contact your Chefs Association they can probably help you with this by either making a phone call on your behalf or the Chef you want to meet with may be one of their members. Plus most Chef Associations have a monthly dinner/meeting where you can meet and network with many different people.Don't be shy when it comes to making that call, and by the way always call first, don't just show up at the kitchen door. I don't see anyone who just shows up without an appointment. My time is very important to me and most of my time is planned out throughout the day.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Sounds good Mark. Sometime soon, I'll work up the courage to call a place in Minneapolis that I really enjoy going to and see if I can speak with the chef. Do you recommend becoming a member of the Chefs Association? It appears to be relatively spendy, with student membership being $81. I think it would be a good idea for my career, so I'm more inclined to suck up the cost.

Also, I just received my acceptance letter to the culinary school. I guess my foot is in the culinary door at least.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Senior Cook

I suggest making the phone call, it will be fine. Congratulations on getting accepted to school. I hightly recommend joining the Chefs Association. Its a great place to network and also find out more about whats happening in the culinary world locally. In our chapter we have a dinner/meeting each month with several other functions throughout the year. If you ever have a question or a concern please feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Sounds good. I'll call sometime soon and I'll look into the CA. Thanks for all of the advice Mark.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Your very welcome. Just remember when you become a Star chef I want a free meal. τΏ~
I really mean it, when you find yourself with a question and are looking for assistance feel free to ask.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

hahahhaha mark webster. me too i want a free meal
Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Nice discussion, i feel it will be good if you decide which degree you want to earn in Culinary also, as there so many programs which can confuse you so try to ask yourself which Culinary Arts Major you want to get.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Oh Well, I am a computer graduate myself. And Cooking.. I am just gaining interest in that and hoping to open a canteen very soon. Talking about your interests, if you think you can be a very good cook, why don't you open up a small canteen or be a chef. Gainign knowledge from the culinary school would be a great idea.

cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote