Caring for Orchids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend gave me an orchid today. I don't have a lot of windows left (the herbs) and I heat with wood so the house is s/what dry. Any orchid growers out there who would like to share how to keep this alive through the winter. Can I put it outside (in a pot) in the summer?

I've grown orchids for many years. What kind is it? Most common are phalenopis (moth orchid) and cattlya. There are a gazillion different kinds. Most grow best in bright filtered light, in bark, not soil, though some will grow in other media. Water in the sink weekly, let drain. Depending on what kind it is, some can be put outside in semi shade.

I used to grow many under lights in the basement, but have cut back to about 15 plants now.

Last edited:
It is a moth orchid. It is in that "moss" stuff. I soaked it in the sink today and will do that again every Monday. I haven't quite decided where to put it. I think it might go on the table (but first I have to clear off the table--all this stuff my friend gave me has yet to be put away).

CWS4322 said:
It is a moth orchid. It is in that "moss" stuff. I soaked it in the sink today and will do that again every Monday. I haven't quite decided where to put it. I think it might go on the table (but first I have to clear off the table--all this stuff my friend gave me has yet to be put away).

CWS, they're pretty indestructable. Maybe fertilize once a month. Try not to get water in the center of the leaves, which can cause rot, but if you do, you can blow on it to get the water out. You can also set it on a tray of pebbles with water to humidify it, I don't, but some folks do. Phals do fine either under grow lights or in bright, diffused light from the window. The flowers last a long time, I had one that would last 6 months! though they usually bloom only once or twice a year. Sometimes they'll form another flower stalk when, after blooms have died, you cut the stalk back just above a node. When I had catts, I would hang them outside in the summer, but I would probably keep your phal inside unless your weather is warm.

Probably TMI, but orchids can be very rewarding! We have a few clumps of wild Showy Orchis growing under our pines, they're considered rare and very fussy, needing perfect soil conditions.

I was told to trim back the stalk, so it will probably be awhile before it blooms <g>. Hopefully I can keep it alive until then! Hmmm...are orchids as rewarding as chickens?

CWS4322 said:
I was told to trim back the stalk, so it will probably be awhile before it blooms <g>. Hopefully I can keep it alive until then! Hmmm...are orchids as rewarding as chickens?

Mine don't ride on my shoulder very well, and I don't think the eggs are quite as tasty!

One more thing, with moss, you don't want it soaked all the time. You might want to look into repotting in orchid bark, soak the bark first.

Mine don't ride on my shoulder very well, and I don't think the eggs are quite as tasty!

One more thing, with moss, you don't want it soaked all the time. You might want to look into repotting in orchid bark, soak the bark first.

I didn't know orchids laid eggs <G>. She bought it a florist shop. You would think it would have been potted in the right stuff. What makes orchid bark special? I have lots of oak, ash, and pine bark <g>.

CWS4322 said:
I didn't know orchids laid eggs <G>. She bought it a florist shop. You would think it would have been potted in the right stuff. What makes orchid bark special? I have lots of oak, ash, and pine bark <g>.

Vanilla beans! (orchid eggs).

I'm not saying moss is bad, but I've always used bark. Wood doesn't break down as quickly. Most orchids are epiphytes, meaning they don't take nutrients from the growing medium, but from the air. In the wild, many are found growing nekkid on trees. The roots poke out of the pot, and that's OK. I think the purchased bark is sterilized and bagged with stuff like lava rock. I have also used coconut fiber. When your moss starts to break down, you may want to think about dedicated orchid bark, which can be found at Lowes or other garden stores.

Though it might not hurt to try to sterilize your own, even though we live in a wooded area, I just never bothered.

Last edited:
It's probably Spanish/Florist's moss. You should be fine until the moss starts to break down. The potting medium is only for support of the plant, unlike, say, an impatiens or daisy, which need to grow in soil.

I've been trying to give away 4 orchid plants. Supposedly I have several takers, but haven't been able to to coordinate with them. It won't be a big loss, really; I like having flowers in my house, and I bought them here and there at a good price and got months of flowers from them. But it kills me to toss them out when I have friends who have green houses and such. In my case, every window with the perfect amount of sunlight (and I have several) also has baseboard heating underneath. Very hard to keep an appropriate amount of moisture for them without something like daily misting. I'm not good at that degree of dedication to a plant (hey, husband and doggie need to remind me to feed and water! (Just joking)).

Claire said:
I've been trying to give away 4 orchid plants. Supposedly I have several takers, but haven't been able to to coordinate with them. It won't be a big loss, really; I like having flowers in my house, and I bought them here and there at a good price and got months of flowers from them. But it kills me to toss them out when I have friends who have green houses and such. In my case, every window with the perfect amount of sunlight (and I have several) also has baseboard heating underneath. Very hard to keep an appropriate amount of moisture for them without something like daily misting. I'm not good at that degree of dedication to a plant (hey, husband and doggie need to remind me to feed and water! (Just joking)).

Would a pebble tray work, Claire? Just be sure they aren't sitting in the water.

Probably would work ... I guess a part of it is that I've never gotten an orchid to bloom a second time in totally ideal circumstances (really, Hawaii and Florida) and really don't want to give up the space to the plants. But if no one claims them soon, I'll probably do that; if nothing else the pebble tray will add moisture to the air over the winter.

I understand. Most orchids aren't terribly attractive when not in bloom. What kind are they?

When I was in my "orchid phase" I had many repeat bloomers, even here in Iowa. I've cut way back, and those I have left still bloom once or twice a year. Mostly phals and paphs ( slipper orchids).

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know! Each is different. I used to know more about orchids (i.e., when I lived in Hawaii), but ... information I don't need, gone forever! One I bought about 4 years ago! It has miniscule blossoms of dark yellow with brownish/orange speckles, many, many of them. When I'd just about killed it, I gave it to a friend with a greenhouse. She kept it for 2 years, and returned it when it bloomed again. So I got two lovely seasons from it over the years. It bloomed in the fall (both times) and the colors were so perfect for autumn! The others are slightly larger blooms, in varying shades of purple -- from white with pale lavender to a dark purple. The autumn toned one has blossoms the size of a woman's pinky finger fingerprint, the latter are larger bloom, more the size of the end of a man's thumb. The autumn has dozens of blossoms, last time on two spikes, the purples have about 10-15 each. When I buy them, it is for a pleasing winter gift to myself, a reminder of some lovely years of my life. As opposed to cut flowers, They've lasted for months. As a matter of fact, there is still one blossom on left on one plant and I bought it this past winter!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing OK! At the risk of sounding pedantic, there are more orchid varieties, species and hybrids, than any other flower in the world! So any orchid is not just an "orchid". Not sure which ones you have!

The main difference is potting medium, there are epiphytes (roots in air or bark, moss, etc., ) and terrestrials. Most medium is just a support for the plant.

Last edited:
There used to be a huge orchid place near the volcano on the Big Island. All that information in my tiny brain!

While I've got you here, do you trim the stalk (I'm sure there's a better word for it) down to the bottom when it stops blooming? Guess if I'm keeping them over the winter, I might as well do it right.

Mine were all in a bark type medium. I had to re-pot the amber one this year (it literally looked to be climbing out of the pot) and the medium I bought was more soil-like than I'd seen before, but it still seems very healthy.

Ever seen orchids in nature? That was neat.

Claire, I've had reblooms by just trimming the flower stalk to just above the next "node" or bump if it's green. If it's all brown and dried out, cut it off.

Orchids in the wild are gorgeous. We've been to Maui and Kauai a number of times, also see them in Mexico. We have Showy Orchis growing wild under our pine grove. I was so excited when I discovered them! They don't make good houseplants as conditions have to be perfect, and they're quite rare. Lady Slippers grow wild around here too, but I haven't seen any yet. A bunch were planted at a preserve near here, and apparently the deer loved them.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe that's my problem. I'm trimming the stalks too close to the base. Since I haven't trimmed these at all, I'll do it above the nodes and hope for better. Better yet, maybe a friend will come along and take them off my hands!

Back
Top Bottom