Carpet Steamers: any of you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I'm looking to purchase a carpet cleaner/steamer and was wondering if any of you had one/used one you could recommend. I'm kind of looking at the Bissell & Hoover models, but haven't made up my mind completely.

My in-laws have a Bissell and it works as well as this type of thing works.
It is easy to use and you will be grossed out at how dirty the water is when you empty it :LOL:

I used to clean carpets for a living (my absolute worst job ever) and one of the first things we were taught was that water cleaning and steam cleaning will not do much for real stains. It will seem like it gets the stain out, but then a few month later the stain is back. Basically all the water/steam does is push the stain down toward the backing. Over times it comes back to the surface.

These units are great for cleaning, but not great for stain removal unless you just want a temporary solution.

We have a Bissell and I would get a bigger one if I were buying now. I agree that the stains really have to be pre-treated or they reappear. My carpet is too light to be in the country. DH cleans it about every month. He does a good job, but it takes quite a while.

My sis in law uses a powder cleaner and her carpets look fabulous still. She said that shampooers are hard on a carpet. I personally always used shampooers but once we get the new carpet in here I'll def. be going with the powder cleaner. We don't wear our shoes on the carpets so they don't get really dirty. Occasionally something gets spilt but I quickly grab my woolite spot cleaner, which I highly recommend.

SizzlininIN said:
She said that shampooers are hard on a carpet.
I would actually worry more about powders than shampoo. Shampoo does not damage the carpet at all, but powders often times can act like an abrasive and actually cut through the carpet fibers. Over time this will wear the carpet out a lot quicker than it would have otherwise.

GB said:
I would actually worry more about powders than shampoo. Shampoo does not damage the carpet at all, but powders often times can act like an abrasive and actually cut through the carpet fibers. Over time this will wear the carpet out a lot quicker than it would have otherwise.

Hmmmm....I've known her now for 11 years and they have the same carpet and it still looks new????

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the carpet powder she is using is going to cause a problem. I am simply saying that powders can act as an abrasive, but water and shampoo are not hard on a carpet at all. Water and shampoo might not always clean stains as well as you want (see my above posts), but they will not damage a carpet at all.

GB said:
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the carpet powder she is using is going to cause a problem. I am simply saying that powders can act as an abrasive, but water and shampoo are not hard on a carpet at all. Water and shampoo might not always clean stains as well as you want (see my above posts), but they will not damage a carpet at all.

~~~~Gotcha GB!

I have a hoover and I love it, it has heated cleaning function with rotating brushes, I had a dirt devil before that and hated it...
but I love my new one, and it is awesome on stains...

Long ago, I sold carpet. The biggest problems I encountered was people using too much detergent when the steam clean. It can leave a residue that will attract dirt.

As far as stains go, I always suggested treating the stain with a spot remover, putting a wad of paper towels over the stain and putting some weight on the towels. The stain will wick into the paper towels. Three kids later and this is still the best technique I've used--outside of professional cleaning.

I bought an el cheapo Bissell Quicksteamer (training the pup to go toilet outside was not going well....) Its great for spot touches, but I would suggest you upgrade to the one with furniture attatchments, I wish I had...

Back
Top Bottom