Carside To Go - Tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live out in the middle of nowhere now, & even when I didn't, I have never had food delivered to the house. However, although some might say it's the same thing, if I did have food delivered to the house, I would tip, as in my opinion it's a different situation from walking 10 feet from the restaurant door with a bag in your hand.

And, while we've never ordered carside service either, the local places that do it (Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's, etc.), seem to have the hostesses &/or the manager bringing the food out to the cars, not the inside wait people, who are always very busy. There doesn't seem to be much call for carside service around here, & I think whoever's handy at the moment just brings the bags out.

I guess this is going to be one of those topics where we all have to just agree to disagree. Just like with tipping percentages, everyone is going to do what their own feelings & conscience dictate.

BreezyCooking said:
I live out in the middle of nowhere now, & even when I didn't, I have never had food delivered to the house. However, although some might say it's the same thing, if I did have food delivered to the house, I would tip, as in my opinion it's a different situation from walking 10 feet from the restaurant door with a bag in your hand.

And, while we've never ordered carside service either, the local places that do it (Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's, etc.), seem to have the hostesses &/or the manager bringing the food out to the cars, not the inside wait people, who are always very busy. There doesn't seem to be much call for carside service around here, & I think whoever's handy at the moment just brings the bags out.

I guess this is going to be one of those topics where we all have to just agree to disagree. Just like with tipping percentages, everyone is going to do what their own feelings & conscience dictate.

I'm with you Breezy. I started a thread on this very subject of tipping on another chat forum and was amazed at how many people think as I do, that tipping has gone far beyond reasonable. The deli that I buy lunchmeat from has suddenly put a tip jar on the counter. I used to work at that deli and made 9.00 an hour. The salary is higher now I'm sure. Where does this tipping bulls***t end?? Why on earth are we expected to subsidize the salary of every employee now??? Where did this start and where will it end.??

I was also astounded at how many people tip for bad or no service. Why on earth would you do that? They get treated like dirt and you reward the server for treating them that way???? Give me a break.
No wonder service in restaurants is so bad. They waitstaff couldn't care less knowing they will get tipped anyway. And by the way, In most restaurants, valet services, car washes etc. the staff shares the tips, so the tip you got for the wonderful service will be shared by those who give bad or no service at all. I owned 5 retail shops. Customer service was a priority in my stores, I insisted on it. We bent over backwards not only to give good service but to go the limit even to making lunch or dinner reservations at one of the restaurants in our center for the customer. We didn't receive a dime in tips. AND I paid my employees a living wage. Figure it out: If the restaurant raised the price of their food items by .50 cents the owner could pay the waitress the extra half dolllar and on a four-top that would be a $2.00 . If the waitress had 4 tables every hour she would get another 8 dollars per hour in salary. And that's aside from her salary. My son is a bellman at a hotel in Vegas, my daughter -in law is a waitress. They just built a $350,000 home and added a $60,000 swimming pool complete with waterfall and gorgeous landscaping. ALL WITH TIP MONEY. The people you feel sorry for because they aren't making a big salary are making much more than you are. Keep the tips coming and thank you very much.

And here's a parting thought: Why is it that when one in the party orders a $25.00 steak dinner and the other party orders $6.00 hamburger and they are taken from the cook's line and brought to the table the steak eater pays close $3.50 in tips and the hamburger eater pays $.90 cents? The waitress does exactly the same thing with each plate. Makes no sense to me. And while I'm at it 20% of the cost of my meal is far too much to tip just for bringing the plate to the table, which by the way, she is already being PAID to do.

Last edited:
my husband would agree

Drama Queen, my husband would agree with you entirely. He hates tipping
not because he is cheap just because he feels eating out it to costly anyway. Not so sure how he would feel if I was not a good cook, if he
would feel the cost was worth it but then a tip on top.

His brother eats out all the time and his wife can not cook. Or maybe just
does not like to. His brother is much more a cheapskate than my husband but he has not problem with eating out and tipping.

I on the other hand do tip and really don't have a problem with it, if it is really true what they say they get paid below min wage. But you know there is alot of folks out there that choose this job so I guess the pay is
good?

Anyway I like the thought about why tip more just because the meal is more
exspensive???? they are doing the same thing.

BreezyCooking said:
Banana Brain - tipping because you're "scared" is definitely NOT a reason to tip.

And I find this subtle underlying thread that people are afraid NOT to tip because they think they're going to get substandard (or contaminated) food next time around is really really sad.

I hope that anyone reading here who is a part of the food service industry reads this - because it's unbelievably SAD & FRIGHTENING at the same time.

Food service folks - you're not curing cancer, you're providing wonderful/decent food for people who appreciate it. Whether it's McDonalds or the local pricey bistro, you folks need to get a grip.
I'm not scared that they'll screw with my food, I'm for some reason scared of the waiter having a bad opinion of me. I can't stand thinking someone thinks I'm a jerk or badly of me, even a stranger. Even when someone on the street randomly walks up to me to sell a $3.00 CD they probably downloaded from other CD's and pretend its to "support the music community" I can't say no. Once I've made eye contact with someone, its like I'm... trying to make a good impression? I guess thats my problem.

Drama Queen said:
I'm with you Breezy. I started a thread on this very subject of tipping on another chat forum and was amazed at how many people think as I do, that tipping has gone far beyond reasonable. The deli that I buy lunchmeat from has suddenly put a tip jar on the counter. I used to work at that deli and made 9.00 an hour. The salary is higher now I'm sure. Where does this tipping bulls***t end?? Why on earth are we expected to subsidize the salary of every employee now??? Where did this start and where will it end.??

I was also astounded at how many people tip for bad or no service. Why on earth would you do that? They get treated like dirt and you reward the server for treating them that way???? Give me a break.
No wonder service in restaurants is so bad. They waitstaff couldn't care less knowing they will get tipped anyway. And by the way, In most restaurants, valet services, car washes etc. the staff shares the tips, so the tip you got for the wonderful service will be shared by those who give bad or no service at all. I owned 5 retail shops. Customer service was a priority in my stores, I insisted on it. We bent over backwards not only to give good service but to go the limit even to making lunch or dinner reservations at one of the restaurants in our center for the customer. We didn't receive a dime in tips. AND I paid my employees a living wage. Figure it out: If the restaurant raised the price of their food items by .50 cents the owner could pay the waitress the extra half dolllar and on a four-top that would be a $2.00 . If the waitress had 4 tables every hour she would get another 8 dollars per hour in salary. And that's aside from her salary. My son is a bellman at a hotel in Vegas, my daughter -in law is a waitress. They just built a $350,000 home and added a $60,000 swimming pool complete with waterfall and gorgeous landscaping. ALL WITH TIP MONEY. The people you feel sorry for because they aren't making a big salary are making much more than you are. Keep the tips coming and thank you very much.

And here's a parting thought: Why is it that when one in the party orders a $25.00 steak dinner and the other party orders $6.00 hamburger and they are taken from the cook's line and brought to the table the steak eater pays close $3.50 in tips and the hamburger eater pays $.90 cents? The waitress does exactly the same thing with each plate. Makes no sense to me. And while I'm at it 20% of the cost of my meal is far too much to tip just for bringing the plate to the table, which by the way, she is already being PAID to do.
I agree. The problem is that if no one ever tipped they'd make lousy money, which is why we feel the need to tip, which is why waiters are often extremly overpaid depending on if they're working in an expensive resturaunt. Even if its Denny's, a lot of the time they'll make more money than degree-required jobs. Not that I'm saying just anyone could do their job, you have to be a really charasmatic person who can be pleasant to be around all day long. But they're still overpaid our resturant system should be the same as in Europe, where waiters are just paid more and no one tips. The resturant may make less money that way, but its a better system.

And speaking of unreasonable places asking for tips, at the mall there is a little food-court booth that serves Mrs. Feilds cookies that also has a tip jar right in front of you when you order. All the girl has to do reach up to an arms length over to the cookie or cookies you want, put it in a bag, hand it to you, and take your cash. Why should I tip for that? I usually just buy a 40 cent cookie anyways, and I doubt she really needs my nickle. But last time I still found myself tipping 25 cents, which must be close to a 60% tip.

I NEVER leave a tip in tip jars. This is just too greedy and I don't think you can get bad service in one of these places if you didn't tip. Especially in a mall. We wind up tipping people for doing what they were hired and are being paid to do in the first place. Tipping at Mrs. Fields is ridiculous. The tipping scheme has gone far beyond what is reasonable and no one , but NO ONE can tell me why we tip in the first place. And a s long as we continue to bend to this ridiculous system, we will always be expected to tip. As I said, the wait staff's salary is not our responsibility. I think we reduce the staff to begging for their salary. Seems a bit dehuminizing to me to expect a salary based on the "generousity" of patrons. I like the system in Europe. No tip, but the staff gets paid a decent salary.

Last edited:
Tip Jars really irk me. When I call in an order & go pick it up myself, why should I tip? I go to those kind of places less than I would if they didn't have the Tip Jar right there at the cash register. I don't need any more guilt in my life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom