Casa de Hoot Excitement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snakes certainly have their place in the grand scheme of things....just not in Casa de Hoot.
I tried putting signs up warnin' about the dangers of entering. I reckon snakes don't read too good.

I so love the name of your place Hoot ;)

Snakes certainly have their place in the grand scheme of things....just not in Casa de Hoot.
I tried putting signs up warnin' about the dangers of entering. I reckon snakes don't read too good.

Read? Not likely...

When I was a teenager I sat on a copperhead - true fact. It was lounging on the cool porcelain behind the hinges of a toilet seat. Late in the evening I went to use the facility and didn't turn on the light. The snake didn't appreciate being squished and bit. After an embarrassing trip to the ER and a several night hospital stay, I learned to ALWAYS, ALWAYS look before sitting. It's my most ferverent wish that this was a once in a lifetime event :ermm:

Now Ms.Janet H,

Did you post a sign?

If it could read then maybe............:rolleyes:

"The snake didn't appreciate being squished and bit."

Can you blame it?

And did you really bite it? :mrgreen:

It's my most ferverent wish that this was a once in a lifetime event" :ermm:

I wish that for you too. :)

But I do have a visual. :whistling

"After an embarrassing trip to the ER and a several night hospital stay"

Sorry about the hospital stay but don't sweat the embarrassment cause we all get embarrassed every day.

Poisonous or not I'd need to get more then $5 to seek them out.

But then again you can't go to the movies these days for $5.

Has the bounty increased these days?

If the price is right I might be persuaded. ;)

I am sure it has. This was back in the early 70's. He was only 10. He is now 50. :angel:

Read? Not likely...

When I was a teenager I sat on a copperhead - true fact. It was lounging on the cool porcelain behind the hinges of a toilet seat. Late in the evening I went to use the facility and didn't turn on the light. The snake didn't appreciate being squished and bit. After an embarrassing trip to the ER and a several night hospital stay, I learned to ALWAYS, ALWAYS look before sitting. It's my most ferverent wish that this was a once in a lifetime event :ermm:

:wacko: Copperheads can and do give a nasty bite. My neighbor across the street from me had a space about an inch below her front door. On cold nights, the copperheads would come in under that door. She always had a fire going in the fireplace. Then she would let it burn down and head for bed. A couple of times she got up in the morning and found more than one on the ledge of the fireplace. Her husband finally fixed the bottom of the door after he almost stepped on one. :angel:

One time when I brought in wood for the woodstove at the farm, I got a surprise--a garter snake. I went and got Myrtle and Harriet and brought them in the house...they took care of it for me (but they couldn't figure out how to eat it, so the DH had to cut it up and serve it to the girls). FWIW, watching chickens hunt a snake in the house proved more entertaining than anything that might have been on TV that week.

Last edited:
One time when I brought in wood for the woodstove at the farm, I got a surprise--a garter snake. I went and got Myrtle and Harriet and brought them in the house...they took care of it for me (but they couldn't figure out how to eat it, so the DH had to cut it up and serve it to the girls). FWIW, watching chickens hunt a snake in the house proved more entertaining than anything that might have been on TV that week.

:ohmy::LOL::LOL:

My 80 year old mother was having some heart issues, and had to wear a Holter monitor. I called her, to ask how it was going.

Mom: I think I messed up my test. I had to kill a snake.

Me: How come you killed it? (She is more of a live and let live type.)

Mom: It was in the house.

Me: Why didn't you just chase it out?

Mom: It was a copperhead.

She lived alone, and couldn't call anyone else to kill it for her--it might have slipped away. (AND THEN WHAT WOULD YOU DO?) She got the hoe and smacked it--had to carry it outside to finish it off, because, apparently, it is difficult to kill a snake on carpet.

Her test came out fine, BTW, not a glitch on it.

Great story!

My 80 year old mother was having some heart issues, and had to wear a Holter monitor. I called her, to ask how it was going.

Mom: I think I messed up my test. I had to kill a snake.

Me: How come you killed it? (She is more of a live and let live type.)

Mom: It was in the house.

Me: Why didn't you just chase it out?

Mom: It was a copperhead.

She lived alone, and couldn't call anyone else to kill it for her--it might have slipped away. (AND THEN WHAT WOULD YOU DO?) She got the hoe and smacked it--had to carry it outside to finish it off, because, apparently, it is difficult to kill a snake on carpet.

Her test came out fine, BTW, not a glitch on it.

Back
Top Bottom