Cast Iron - Interstitial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodfood

Assistant Cook
I am a total fan of CI and Carbon Steel (De Buyer) and been reading various forums on CI rather intensively.

With regard to cleaning. various ingredients, and surfaces - I continuously see references fo 'pores.' Surface 'pores' certainly do exist - the question is 'what lies below?'

I am a chemical engineer - though not a metallurgist. Nevertheless, what I did learn - and 'scientific' reading on chemical molecular structure of metals - gives no basis to 'interstital' space that could be 'filled' with soaps, tomato sauce. vinegar - whatever.

All forum material has only been 'I know what I know' - which,to me, has only meant 'I think what I think.'

Is there anyone who has some 'solid' :LOL: info on this?

Since CI has been around a long time and some folks own well seasoned CI (100 years), I personally would never give any thought to what you're asking. I just know it is really good cookware that will last forever if correctly cared for, whether raw or enamel coated.

Well, sheee-yit. Imma gonna have to get me one of dem books witout pichers in 'em and learn me up a spell about cast i-run.

:rolleyes:

:LOL:

Are you talking about minute surface imperfections that may trap some foods and you want to clean them out on a molecular level?

Being a chem eng, you'd probably know more about the makeup of the seasoning/coating on cast iron that fills the surface imperfections than most people.

You can get into the hydrophobic and hydrophilic nature of soap and water as well.

"Are you talking about minute surface imperfections that may trap some foods and you want to clean them out on a molecular level?"

At this point, I'm trying to get comments on the material which is 'one level and more' (let's say) BELOW the surface.

I have some opinions and empirical knowledge but I'm first hoping to get some thoughts without my input on what people are thinking (knowing).

I'm first asking if anyone THINKS there are pores that go beyond the 'surface' of CI.

Or better than that - if they have 'factual' info that confirms or disputes that.

I'm first asking if anyone THINKS there are pores that go beyond the 'surface' of CI.

Or better than that - if they have 'factual' info that confirms or disputes that.

The point is, why would expect us to have factual information on metallurgy? I guess there’s an odd chance that som one who frequents a cooking site has detailed knowledge of this but your odd suck.

I can tell you how to clean, season and cook in you ci skillet. I don’t care about interstitial pores.

Aren't pores openings in the a surface? Any other spaces internally, or beyond the surface as you suggest, wouldn't be pores...

Most cooks are only concerned what goes on on top of the surface..if you catch my drift...

It looks like I've tempted 'know nothings' from the 'Dotard Drumpf' crew - "I don't have to know nuttin." The language also matches.

Cleaning, 'seasoning' and a lot of other BS is because there is some thought 'out there' that CI 'phenomena' extend beyond a few millimeters - THEY DON'T!

Aren't pores openings in the surface?

You'd think so - but there's a whole bunch of people that tell about soap, etc. going deeper than where they can be removed 150% from the 'surface!'

Last edited:
It looks like I've tempted 'know nothings' from the 'Dotard Drumpf' crew - "I don't have to know nuttin." The language also matches.

Cleaning, 'seasoning' and a lot of other BS is because there is some thought 'out there' that CI 'phenomena' extend beyond a few millimeters - THEY DON'T!

This (bolded above) was not necessary. IMO, you're looking for an argument. Toodles! :)

No - not looking for argument - just find that a cheer for ignorance is abhorrent.

I was asking because I have done extensive examination of a roomful of Griswold, Wagner, Lodge -- and even put some pieces through the dishwasher! After spraying with rapeseed oil - and some half a dozen people tried these items - results were basically the same - the main characteristic of CI continued to shine through - HEAT RETENTION.

We also realized that there was a damn good possibility that the 'seasoning' which often disppears for MANY (around the world) - is a good possibility for carcinogenic effects.

A good wash and rinse - and a spray of oil works beautifully!

I'm thinking when we cook on CI, we are not cooking on the iron itself but the hard surface seasioning ( flax oil ) in my case. If you wash off the seasoning, then the pors will be exposed and can retain unwanted food partials.
It this what your asking?

One can't really 'wash off' seasoning. It deteriorates itself - putting those nice 'black specks' into your food.

We found that the clean oiled surface - without so-called seasoning - works very nicely indeed.

The point is, why would expect us to have factual information on metallurgy? I guess there’s an odd chance that som one who frequents a cooking site has detailed knowledge of this but your odd suck.

Perhaps even spelling and grammar. :D

What are the odds that someone here would make a living by photographing cars? Yet, here I am.

I think it is a good question being asked by the OP.

I do know that bare CI can impart iron into foods -- I have to be very careful with iron intake, which is why I know that. So, can food chemistry be "absorbed" by CI? I mostly use coated cast iron (Le Crueset). I also have some bare CI, but use it sparingly.

CD

The real question is who but you cares?

I care. But, I like knowing things. My noggin is full of knowledge that won't earn me a penny. :( :LOL:

Goodfood, I think you need to keep in mind that your country ranks #4 in Science education, while the USA ranks #24. We are more into belief than knowledge. "It worked for my grandmother, and that's good enough for me" is all we need to know -- especially when it comes to cooking.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom