Cat bath - what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrek bathed a cat once, so he tells me, but didn't like hacking up the hairball after.

The trick of bathing a cat is to brush the fur off of one's tongue BEFORE swallowing this, yes? This way, one does not hack up the hairballs.

HA!!!

With love,
~Cat

The trick of bathing a cat is to brush the fur off of one's tongue BEFORE swallowing this, yes? This way, one does not hack up the hairballs.

HA!!!

With love,
~Cat

YOU try to teach an Ogre the fine art of cat bathing.:wacko:

People have given you some suggestions for getting rid of the skunk smell. If it isn't pet shampoo, be sure to rinse really, really well. Remember, cats lick their fur. Be careful not to get anything in the cats eyes (or nose or ears).

I don't believe in bathing cats unless there is a good reason to. As I understand it, bathing isn't good for their skin.

I bathed a long haired cat who had had diarrhea. I bathed another cat several times for fleas. I currently have an 18 year old cat who has never been bathed.

I don't believe in bathing cats unless there is a good reason to. As I understand it, bathing isn't good for their skin.

For what it's worth (probably not much) I don't either. Of course a skunk encounter might convince me to try. ("Try" being the operative word.)

As far as the skunk smell---- I had a dog that felt his mission was to Seek and Destroy all the skunks on the ranch. So trying to eliminate a skunk smell is in my area of expertise. I did everything mentioned here and more. But nothing really worked for me. :(

For what it's worth (probably not much) I don't either. Of course a skunk encounter might convince me to try. ("Try" being the operative word.)

As far as the skunk smell---- I had a dog that felt his mission was to Seek and Destroy all the skunks on the ranch. So trying to eliminate a skunk smell is in my area of expertise. I did everything mentioned here and more. But nothing really worked for me. :(

The key to a skunk bath is to wash well the first time. The peroxide solution mentioned is good, but don't be afraid to go heavy on the Dawn dish soap. Afterall, it's what they use on the wildlife whenever there's an oil spill. You need to cut the skunk oil, not spread it around.
Put a drop of mineral oil in the dog's eyes to help protect them before you start.
I wash twice and I finish up by applying fabric softener to the pet. Something like Downy. Buy one you like the smell of. Let it sit for ten minutes making sure the dog does not lick any and rinse well.

You will still smell skunk for a few days. The odor has gotten into your sinuses. And of course change and wash your clothes afterwards.
You will still catch a whiff now and then, especially when it rains and the dog's fur gets wet, but that's as good as it is going to get.

You will still catch a whiff now and then, especially when it rains and the dog's fur gets wet, but that's as good as it is going to get.

We just sorta got used to the smell of skunk after a while. :bangin:

But one time I was already in my whites (Dental Hygiene) ready to go to work and left my husband to deal with it. When I got to work people started saying they smelled skunk!! :ohmy: I doused with as much perfume as I could find and had to keep on working and explaining to each new patient what had happened!

Good thing it wasn't my first day on that job!

We just sorta got used to the smell of skunk after a while. :bangin:

But one time I was already in my whites (Dental Hygiene) ready to go to work and left my husband to deal with it. When I got to work people started saying they smelled skunk!! :ohmy: I doused with as much perfume as I could find and had to keep on working and explaining to each new patient what had happened!

Good thing it wasn't my first day on that job!

It is very good it was not your first day. One would think you have very odd pets.

With love,
~Cat

Skunks are great pets. They will use a cat litter box and eat cat food. I had one that loved to play with the dog.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom