"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek bathed a cat once, so he tells me, but didn't like hacking up the hairball after.
good one.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #22
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek bathed a cat once, so he tells me, but didn't like hacking up the hairball after.
The trick of bathing a cat is to brush the fur off of one's tongue BEFORE swallowing this, yes? This way, one does not hack up the hairballs.

HA!!!

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
The trick of bathing a cat is to brush the fur off of one's tongue BEFORE swallowing this, yes? This way, one does not hack up the hairballs.

HA!!!

With love,
~Cat
YOU try to teach an Ogre the fine art of cat bathing.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #24
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
YOU try to teach an Ogre the fine art of cat bathing.
I am sorry, my Ogress, but I think I shall live very much longer if I were to refrain to teach an Ogre anything, yes?

HA!!

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
People have given you some suggestions for getting rid of the skunk smell. If it isn't pet shampoo, be sure to rinse really, really well. Remember, cats lick their fur. Be careful not to get anything in the cats eyes (or nose or ears).

I don't believe in bathing cats unless there is a good reason to. As I understand it, bathing isn't good for their skin.

I bathed a long haired cat who had had diarrhea. I bathed another cat several times for fleas. I currently have an 18 year old cat who has never been bathed.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I am sorry, my Ogress, but I think I shall live very much longer if I were to refrain to teach an Ogre anything, yes?

HA!!

With love,
~Cat
Smart Girl...I haven't learned that, yet!!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't believe in bathing cats unless there is a good reason to. As I understand it, bathing isn't good for their skin.
For what it's worth (probably not much) I don't either. Of course a skunk encounter might convince me to try. ("Try" being the operative word.)

As far as the skunk smell---- I had a dog that felt his mission was to Seek and Destroy all the skunks on the ranch. So trying to eliminate a skunk smell is in my area of expertise. I did everything mentioned here and more. But nothing really worked for me.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
For what it's worth (probably not much) I don't either. Of course a skunk encounter might convince me to try. ("Try" being the operative word.)

As far as the skunk smell---- I had a dog that felt his mission was to Seek and Destroy all the skunks on the ranch. So trying to eliminate a skunk smell is in my area of expertise. I did everything mentioned here and more. But nothing really worked for me.
The key to a skunk bath is to wash well the first time. The peroxide solution mentioned is good, but don't be afraid to go heavy on the Dawn dish soap. Afterall, it's what they use on the wildlife whenever there's an oil spill. You need to cut the skunk oil, not spread it around.
Put a drop of mineral oil in the dog's eyes to help protect them before you start.
I wash twice and I finish up by applying fabric softener to the pet. Something like Downy. Buy one you like the smell of. Let it sit for ten minutes making sure the dog does not lick any and rinse well.

You will still smell skunk for a few days. The odor has gotten into your sinuses. And of course change and wash your clothes afterwards.
You will still catch a whiff now and then, especially when it rains and the dog's fur gets wet, but that's as good as it is going to get.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #29
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You will still catch a whiff now and then, especially when it rains and the dog's fur gets wet, but that's as good as it is going to get.
We just sorta got used to the smell of skunk after a while.

But one time I was already in my whites (Dental Hygiene) ready to go to work and left my husband to deal with it. When I got to work people started saying they smelled skunk!! I doused with as much perfume as I could find and had to keep on working and explaining to each new patient what had happened!

Good thing it wasn't my first day on that job!
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
We just sorta got used to the smell of skunk after a while.

But one time I was already in my whites (Dental Hygiene) ready to go to work and left my husband to deal with it. When I got to work people started saying they smelled skunk!! I doused with as much perfume as I could find and had to keep on working and explaining to each new patient what had happened!

Good thing it wasn't my first day on that job!
It is very good it was not your first day. One would think you have very odd pets.

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.