Cat bath - what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
When I was a boy, I was raised with dogs..

they got a bath at least once a month..

now I adopted 2 cats..
can I give them a bath? My friend says no, they clean themselves..

but my big boy cat got tangled up with a skunk the other night, and he stinks!

any tips here about this?

my cats a pretty wild!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Clean toilet.

Add bath soap for pets.

Drop cat in and shut lid, holding closed.

Soak several minutes (cat will do all the agitation).

Flush to rinse several times.

Open lid and run.

Let cat air dry. Unless you wish to donate blood.:ermm:

This sounds like a great idea. I think I'll give it a try. Anybody got a cat I can borrow?

Eric, all funnin' aside, yes you can wash a cat, but it ain't pretty. Tomato juice might help with the skunky odor. I'd suggest a partner and heavy gloves. Or pay for a groomer to do it.

Last edited:
Search the internet for the solution to use for bathing the cat. I think it involves vinegar. It does work. Just ask my SIL and his very unhappy white Westie! :angel:

I bathed my cat a couple of times when she was quite young. She did NOT like it, and neither did I. As I remember it....it was a bath for the cat and a blood letting for me! ?. I don't remember the circumstances, but it was apparently necessary or I would not have risked life and limb. In your case removing the skunk odor would be "necessary" but be forewarned and I suggest doing it outdoors in a tub with at least one other person to help, or take the life saving way out and go to the groomer ?

When I worked as a VHT, back in the early '80s, the majority of cats would allow bathing with just a leash on. But there were those that required a dose of ketaset and rompun to be cooperative.

Step 1) Buy or rent a Chain Mail suit...

Step 2) Bath cat

Step 3) Leave the cat alone to dry.

Clean toilet.

Add bath soap for pets.

Drop cat in and shut lid, holding closed.

Soak several minutes (cat will do all the agitation).

Flush to rinse several times.

Open lid and run.

Let cat air dry. Unless you wish to donate blood.:ermm:
I think Craig is joking!

I'm fortunate in never having had to bath a cat but when I lived at home one of ours was used to jumping into the empty bath and licking the water from around the drain. One day my mother had run a bath and gone into the bedroom to get ready, leaving the bathroom door open, when there was an almighty splashing and squawking. The cat had jumped into the bath not realising there was water in it. We fished her out and dried her off and she was none the worse for the experience apart from an enormous sulk that lasted nearly 2 days. She never jumped in the bath again!

I bathed my cat a couple of times when she was quite young. She did NOT like it, and neither did I. As I remember it....it was a bath for the cat and a blood letting for me! ��. I don't remember the circumstances, but it was apparently necessary or I would not have risked life and limb. In your case removing the skunk odor would be "necessary" but be forewarned and I suggest doing it outdoors in a tub with at least one other person to help, or take the life saving way out and go to the groomer ��
The problem with doing it outside is the danger of the cat escaping and not coming home

At home in Brasov, one of our cats encountered a skunk. Mamma used the feminine douche of Massengill to bathe her. She bought many bottles, and Papa held her down in the kitchen sink and Mamma washed her all over with this douche.

This worked very well, and she no longer stank.

With love,
~Cat

Hi Cat. How is it going? We miss you when you are not here with us. How is DA doing? Is your Mamma Cat still with you? Remember we all do love you and am thinking of you. :angel:

LOL Some pretty funny replies here. :LOL:
I've never bathed my kitty, but he's such a mellow guy that he probably wouldn't mind. He's the one that kicks back on the table at the vets and purrs. :ermm::)

Oh I thank you so very much! I love all of you also, I am so very tired. DA is going home tomorrow, and there is so much news I will post!

Mamma is going with her and I have lost so much sleep of my poor DA I will only begin to relax tomorrow.

With love,
~Cat

I used to work at a shelter, and have bathed quite a few cats. Most seem to get kind of 'catatonic' and are easy. A good trick when working with cats (clipping nails, getting mats out) is to clip a couple of spring type clothespins to the nape of the neck. It seems to almost paralyze them, similar to what happens when mama picks them up by the scruff of the neck.

As far as getting rid of skunk smell, try this: combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.

Pour this over the animal, and (this is the hard part, especially for cats) wait 5 minutes before rinsing off.

You can sub a scoop of oxyclean dissolved in water for the peroxide.

Shrek bathed a cat once, so he tells me, but didn't like hacking up the hairball after.

Back
Top Bottom