"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat info

Cats kill up to 3.7B birds annually

I like cats. I used to have a cat (inside cat), but hopefully this story will hit home for people that let their cats wander, especially if unaltered. This is a big problem where I live. I have been hoping for years there was a more serious push for responsible cat ownership like there is for dogs. About time.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm going to borrow this, Pac. I like cats too, but they should be indoors. My neighbors allow their cats to roam free, and it drives beagle and me nuts. I have found cat-killed bluebirds and such around.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm going to borrow this, Pac. I like cats too, but they should be indoors. My neighbors allow their cats to roam free, and it drives beagle and me nuts. I have found cat-killed bluebirds and such around.
I can see having barn cats, if you are responsible enough to have them altered and vaccinated and have 50 acres of land they are never off. I do not get any other type of cat unless it's indoors. Such a shame, for the wildlife AND the cat.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yeah, mortality rate for outdoor cats is significantly worse than that of indoor cats, and over 3 B birds killed is HUGE!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Master Chef

My cat comes and goes not by my choice. She is spayed and gets vaccinated. We have a 6 ft fence and doggie door for the dog and the cat recently figured out she can use it too. I get worried when she's out for long periods of time and we've had 1 dead bird brought into the house and one live bird she brought in. If it weren't for the elderly dog needing to go out the doggie door at will, she'd be an indoor cat.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Neither of my cats are outdoor cats, they are both vaccinated and spayed...they wouldn't know what to do with a bird...heck, they come and get me if they find a spider...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

If me cat had ever come and gotten me if there was a spider I would have admonished it and told it to get back in the game
Then checked the floor for spiders
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...they wouldn't know what to do with a bird...heck, they come and get me if they find a spider...
DH does the same thing. Perhaps they're related.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If me cat had ever come and gotten me if there was a spider I would have admonished it and told it to get back in the game
Then checked the floor for spiders
I tried that at first, but all I got was puppy eyes from them...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We have a neighbor who - I think - hoards cats. She says she is rehabilitating them then finding them homes .... bbbuuuutttttt .. there are always at least 5 of them running around outside. I went into her house 1 time .. and it was horrific .. never went back inside .. cats everywhere ! We are constantly having to shoo her cats out our gardens and they love chasing the squirrels and catching the birds.

Now .. if we let our dogs run loose you know there would be all kinds of trouble .. so what is it with those people who just turn their cats outside??

Yeah .. barn cats are ok but we are in the city !

Funny story to tell you all .. about 12 years ago we were managing some apartments. Stray cats all over the place. We got a catch and release cage. We wanted to start catching them and taking them to the humane society. So we put the cage out one night, added a nice fresh can of cat food inside the cage. In the morning we went out and just about laughed our butts off .. there was a cat inside the cage and outside the cage were 4 others just sitting there looking at the one inside eating LOL

We did eventually catch them all .. 17 total and they all went away.