Cat lovers, I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Our cat is probably about 6 to 7 years old now. He is a good sized long-fur cat that has enjoyed relatively good health. He has always had a problem with digestion, however. About every 7 to 8 months or so, we have to change his brand of cat food, as he will begin to throw it up after eating. For a while, this was minimized by feeding small portions multiple times a day. But the problem seems to be worsening. DW reported to me by phone that today, he didn't eat anything and vomited mucous.

Anybody have a cat with a sensitive digestive tract, and what did you do to help the cat?

I hope to avoid the vet right now as things are very tight at the moment, with property tax coming due soon.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm not a cat person, but could it be hair balls? There is a tonic one can buy (OTC at the vet-at least here) that is supposed to help re: breaking up hair balls. I'm sure the real cat people will chime in. I probably have some of that tonic in the "dog medicine cabinet" if no one else can give you the name--the tube is white with blue and black lettering.

I'm not a cat person, but could it be hair balls? There is a tonic one can buy (OTC at the vet-at least here) that is supposed to help re: breaking up hair balls. I'm sure the real cat people will chime in. I probably have some of that tonic in the "dog medicine cabinet" if no one else can give you the name--the tube is white with blue and black lettering.

Though Mo has been known to cough up a hairball or two, that is rare. And we use cat food that is supposed to help with that issue. Oh, and Mo appears to have lots of energy. He does enjoy chasing and catching flying insects, then munching them down. He is an indoor cat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Try smearing a blob of butter on his nose, or giving him a tsp of yogurt once a day. That will take care of the hairballs if that is the issue. In reality though, cats barf. For some of them, its just part of their routine.

Cats is picky! Put out whatever they want and hope for the best. I, personally, have found that leaving out a dish of dry food and offering tbsp sized amounts of wet cat food when it is demanded of me work to reduce the barf episodes.

Good luck!

Try smearing a blob of butter on his nose, or giving him a tsp of yogurt once a day. That will take care of the hairballs if that is the issue. In reality though, cats barf. For some of them, its just part of their routine.

Cats is picky! Put out whatever they want and hope for the best. I, personally, have found that leaving out a dish of dry food and offering tbsp sized amounts of wet cat food when it is demanded of me work to reduce the barf episodes.

Good luck!

+1

Smudge is the hairball champion. Latté is the barf queen...for her it is always the dry food. Dunno why, just tis.

....or they wait until they move from the tile floors to the carpet. :rolleyes: I have two, one is an indoor and one is mostly outdoor - and yes, they do barf. They have to from time to time to get all that hair out of them, especially if they are long hair like your Mo.

I would just keep an eye on him and do like Alix, and put a little variety out for him. Hope it gets better for your kitty, Chief.

I would maybe try dry food that doesn't have any corn or other fillers (these are the most expensive, but still less than canned food), and keep doing the small frequent portions.

Not a cat person, Chief, but I have had cats. I'm wondering if you should stop switching out food. Even though Mo throws up, maybe stick with the same food. Also, lots of cat food incorporates vegetables and grains, not natural for cats, maybe look for dry/wet food that are meat only. Sounds like he's healthy otherwise, and not losing weight, which is good!

Last edited:
Simon used to throw up soon after eating. I read in the "Catnip" newsletter that instead of putting his food in a bowl to spread it out in a flat shallow dish like a jelly roll pan. It makes him slow down when he eats because he can only pick up a couple pieces of dry food at a time instead of gobbling mouthfuls. Since I started doing that (6 months ago), I don't think he has barfed at all. I also brush him regularly. He LOVES being brushed.

I wish mine loved being brushed...I will try the flat pan trick...may slow the binge eater down.

Not a cat person, Chief, but I have had cats. I'm wondering if you should stop switching out food. Even though Mo throws up, maybe stick with the same food. Also, lots of cat food incorporates vegetables and grains, not natural for cats, maybe look for dry/wet food that are meat only. Sounds like he's healthy otherwise, and not losing weight, which is good!

i have always fed the same dry food. have offered, wet food, tuna, chicken and other kinds of fish. they go nuts til they get it. then the sniff it and walk away. quit doing that. thomas is my barfer. i think he eats to fast (although i free fed) and doesn't chew it well enough. once in awhile he brings up a fur ball. i think it throws off digestion when you keep changing food.

Last edited:
If you should need to change food, it's recommended that you do it slowly by mixing the old with the new and gradually decrease the quantity of old food until he only gets the new.

chief, your cat has either hairballs, a sensitive stomach, an inquisituve eating habit, or something more serious like a blockage of the digestive tract. sometimes easily treated,, sometimes the blockage is from a tumour.

you can try changing the diet to one made for senior cats, or those with sensitive stomachs. science diet brand makes one.

if it's hairballs, try an otc hairball remedy, or even a little vaseline once a week.

if it's a blockage, you'll have to see a doc. could be easily treated, or it could be bad.

i hope it's a minor thing thát passes quickly.

Last edited:
Hairball Gel Product: Pe tra malt

My two British shorthair male cats, both lived until they were twenty two years of age ... The product my Vet husband recommends is:

Petra malt ( available in the USA, as it is from the USA )

A teaspoon of creamy room temperature butter, cream, cream fraîche, creamy vanilla icecream or mascarpone or yogurt --- if the finicky fellow likes any of these, shall assist; however, the Petramalt is a normally used to aide in the digestion of the hair and shall produce the hairball barth to come up ...

Sounds like he needs a check up for what is ailing him ...

Best of luck, Have nice summer,
Margaux Cintrano.

Margi, my understanding is that cats shouldn't have dairy, it causes stomach upset and diarrhea in adult cats. The petramalt sounds like a good idea.

Margi, my understanding is that cats shouldn't have dairy, it causes stomach upset and diarrhea in adult cats. The petramalt sounds like a good idea.
Most adult cats can tolerate yogourt, just like most lactose intolerant humans. Some cats that never stopped having dairy from the time they are kittens don't lose the ability to digest milk.

But, yes, most adult cats can't tolerate most dairy. That same long-haired cat that loved the Petramalt drank out of my glass of milk. Not good. :ohmy: I had to give him a bath.

Butter is a whole different story, very little lactose.

Petramalt: many kit kats shall lick it off a spoon or a finger ... Depends according to kit kat.

Yes, dairy intolerance ... I had not realised the kit kat is a senior citizen !

I would take him to the Vet for a check up and see what is truly ailing him ?

Science Feed is a fine brand as well as IAMS and their related products. NO ASH ... He is a male and probably altered = neutered.

Hope all goes well.
Have nice summer.

Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom