Cat Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, I have a female that two years ago she got out for 12 days and came home very skinny and her tail had a huge hole in it. We fixed her tail and had her tested for various things. The doctor couldn't spay/neuter (I never remember which is which) because she was too thin. So now she has her "monthly cycle" and then the following week she's weak, doesn't want to eat or drink, and just sleeps. It's actually kind of scary because it looks like all the signs of Feline Leukemia but she doesn't have the excessive mucous or swollen gums, just the weight loss and bad coat. But she's skinny so any time she doesn't eat for even a day it shows and if I give her tuna her coat looks great.

She wasn't positive when we tested her before. Two kittens I have given away who were around her were negative for the disease, but she just has this week after her cycle that she just scares the heck out of me.

Does anyone have enough experience with cats to know if I should be overly concerned over my bunch? And don't say "go test them" because I can't right now. I gave notice at my job and they let me go and the job I was going to fell through. I have $17 to my name and testing her would be way more than that. Everyone else is seemingly healthy and those tested are negative so I'm just at a loss. Can anyone help?

Callisto, so sorry to hear one of your kitties is feeling puny. Cats are odd creatures so it's hard to tell right away what's wrong. Clearly, you want to ensure that she is drinking and eating. This might be a very good time to offer tuna or sardines, that sort of thing. The stinkier, the more it seems to stimulate the appetite. If she's not drinking, that's a very big issue. Sometimes you can stimulate thirst by squirting small amounts of water inside their cheek with a syringe.

As far as what this is and why it happens, that's something else. Since it's cyclical, I wouldn't be as worried about FeLeuk or FIP, although I guess it's possible. Does she go outside when she's in heat? It's possible she has eaten or licked a frog or lizard. Do you put flea treatments on her? I have a cat who gets very quiet and doesn't eat well for a couple of days after I put the Frontline on him. Also, she could have picked up some intestinal parasites. The other thing you mention is that she is very thin. That's actually quite common in un-spayed cats. Most pets are neutered and thus gain weight and get bellies. Un-neutered animals tend to be on the thin side naturally. HTH

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty troubles, Callisto. I've never had a cat with feline leukemia, so I don't have much to add except, when you give her tuna, give her the juice, too. In fact, maybe she'll take more water if you mix the tuna juice with water. Good luck.

Constance ~ I can't answer that one. I've got my $17 and I'm stocked up on food, my electric bill is paid, and beyond that I'm grateful for anyone asking. And darn it, I'm teary eyed that anyone would ask.

Second Constance and Fisher's Mom's comments, Callisto.

I have had two cats with FIV and one with FIV/Felv. I have one of the FIV-ers still and none of them are/were small and one was "intact". I'd be looking at anemia which could be Felv but you would notice that she after each bout she would decrease. If she returns to a similar point after each bout, then I think you can rule leukemia out. (Oh and Greizie didn't have swollen gums or the weight loss only the runny nose from the nose cancer and he had been losing his coat condition through being old and no longer grooming himself. If not for the nose cancer, he was healthy but old to look at.)

If you can ensure the cat keeps her fluid up, I would get some quality biscuits when your finances can bend that way. Also try beating up an egg yolk in milk for her. Some cats really enjoy that and eggs are good for everything!! (Milk of course isn't but once in a while won't hurt most of them.) All the raw offcuts from your meals are good too. And yeah, the liquid from canned fish is a fabulous treat.

I would get another opinion about the spaying when you are more financial. Cat will be healthier probably in the long run. Just schedule it so it happens a couple of days before her cycle when she is probably at her largest.

Provided the cat isn't deteiorating with each cycle, I think you have time to wait until you get another job. Just as a thought though, do you have any radio vets that you could phone up and ask? It might help relieve your mind a bit.

How's your kitty, Callisto? And how are you?
She's more active today, she actually tried to play with the feather toy. I was wondering if anchovy paste might be enough to get her to eat something (I'm out of tuna). She goes to the food bowl, but then she just sits there.

Me, I could definitely be better.

She's more active today, she actually tried to play with the feather toy. I was wondering if anchovy paste might be enough to get her to eat something (I'm out of tuna). She goes to the food bowl, but then she just sits there.

Me, I could definitely be better.
:) Callisto, did you check out the links I posted? Alot of good info there.

:) Callisto, did you check out the links I posted? Alot of good info there.
I read a couple and it just depressed me. There's one with a long list and she seems to have quite a few symptoms. The problem is they come and go just after her cycle and there's no mention of that being an issue. I don't know if she has the FeLV or if she just never recovered from her outdoor experience.

I read a couple and it just depressed me. There's one with a long list and she seems to have quite a few symptoms. The problem is they come and go just after her cycle and there's no mention of that being an issue. I don't know if she has the FeLV or if she just never recovered from her outdoor experience.
:) OK, did you check out the tuna link as most folks don't realize that tuna is not the best for cats.

:) I know it's depressing but sometimes you learn enough to get a clue as to what might be wrong just stay on it. That is what is so wonderful about the Internet you search and search and will get the info you need. Another thing is doe's your cat seem to be suffering besides not eating? Sometimes not eating is a good thing for cats and people, cats have a great ability to know what they need or not need to get better.

All my cats get (cat's) tuna every day and I can honestly say that none have experienced any ill effects from doing so. They have been getting tuna for all of the time I have had them, the eldest being 21. The illnesses they have had have been from the time they were strays, such as FIV/Felv. When they have got to 18+ they have experienced other problems such as kidney failure but at 18+, the source becomes a tad immaterial IMO. My cats ADORE tuna. From 9:30pm each night, I get badgered until they have a can of dark tuna opened for them for their supper. Why? Not cos they are hungry, just cos they love the stuff. And I am talking about 20 cats or thereabouts, six of whom I still currently have. Not disputing the research but I take it all with a hefty pinch of salt in its application.

Back
Top Bottom