"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, is Gizzi a nickname or does it mean something? Does it translate into English?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #92
Proud American

It's a nickname. Roughly translated, it means "a rat in a kitchen." Someone started that about 20 years ago, I think, and it stuck to him. He likes it! His real name is the same for male and female, and he doesn't like that.

He also likes rats and other small rodents, but not on the boat. He always has a pair of rats at home. It's fun to see their cats frustrate themselves trying to get to their cage!

Look what I found! I think there's a way to stay in touch next season! We won't need it this year for she won't be out very much yet:

Marlink, Fishing Boats and Vessels, Sealink, MSS, Maritime VSAT, Maritime Satellite Communications, Fleet Broadband, Maritime Email, Maritime Broadband, Marine Satellite Communications, Marine VSAT, Ship Satellite Communications, Onboard Internet, On

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
It's a nickname. Roughly translated, it means "a rat in a kitchen." Someone started that about 20 years ago, I think, and it stuck to him. He likes it! His real name is the same for male and female, and he doesn't like that.

He also likes rats and other small rodents, but not on the boat. He always has a pair of rats at home. It's fun to see their cats frustrate themselves trying to get to their cage!

Look what I found! I think there's a way to stay in touch next season! We won't need it this year for she won't be out very much yet:

Marlink, Fishing Boats and Vessels, Sealink, MSS, Maritime VSAT, Maritime Satellite Communications, Fleet Broadband, Maritime Email, Maritime Broadband, Marine Satellite Communications, Marine VSAT, Ship Satellite Communications, Onboard Internet, On

With love,
~Cat
That is great. You can find out ahead of coming in the price if it is up or down.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #94
Proud American

Yes! It seems feasible.

She only has made 19 miles. The ice is becoming a bad problem. Papa said we'll be lucky to get her to Constanta on time but he's not worried. He said she will get there, and the work will start.

I wish I could be there!

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #95
Proud American

She has stopped now. The ice is severe and posing a very bad danger.

I spoke to the Gizzi and his wife today! They are very happy about the new Catina II, but he says he will only give two seasons for me, then he will retire.

One of his sons is an excellent cook, and has expressed an interest of working for Papa on Catina II!! He will speak to Papa of this. Wouldn't this be just wonderful? He has offered to train under his father for the Gizzi's last two seasons.

I am so happy! Here is the hope of the Gizzi's legacy upon Catina II! This is so much more than I had ever hoped for! I am so happy tonight I feel as I will burst.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #96
Proud American

She made only 5 miles today. This was expected.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #97
Proud American

The weather finally cleared.

Catina II is home!!

Oh my oh my I am so very happy! She made it!! I missed a call from Papa but Mamma called and she is HOME!!!!

Everything has arrived to our Constanta home to wait for to be put on her, now it's to the architect and engineer to put her together!

We did it, we did it!! HA!!! I'm so very happy I am crying!!

Oh I must call the Gizzi. I need to see if his son still wants to be a cook.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #98
Master Chef

This is good news Cat! I'm glad she made it to harbor safely. Now the fun in putting things together really gets started.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #99
Proud American

I called the Gizzi. We do have a cook! Foo! I was a bit worried!

I can't stand being away from all of this fun! Gizzi and his wife and the crew are to look at her tomorrow. I wish I were there! Oh why can't I be in two places at one time?

I'm starting on the recipe book. I'm printing these out now, and I will have to cover each page in plastic in case of spills. Books and papers become messy on boats in galleys and in rain. I have to convert these to feed many people.

I can just imagine how relieved and tired Papa is right now. Mamma said he was exhausted and could barely talk, and he was freezing. He went to the Gizzi's home for dinner and was so tired he is sleeping there tonight. By the time I talked to the Gizzi, Papa was asleep. He's been up for three days straight on this last push to the harbor!

My Gizzi is wonderful! He can cook a hearty meal in no time and so can his wife. They are taking good care of Papa. Imagine being so tired one cannot drive four more miles to go home! Poor, dear, dedicated Papa!

Mamma is driving through the night to get to Constanta to see Catina II. She called her substitute and the nice lady was happy for the work for the rest of the week. I pray Mamma gets there safely. She is tired also. Uncle Nicu will be there also in the morning.

Now I'm a mess. I don't know if I'm going to be a journalist or not. Something inside my chest pulls me when I think of the sea and I can't get rid of this. I think I'm going in a wrong direction. I just don't know. I told Mamma and she said I have time to think of this.

Uck. I feel like I have a large burden. But I'm so happy!!

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I'm starting on the recipe book. I'm printing these out now, and I will have to cover each page in plastic in case of spills. Books and papers become messy on boats in galleys and in rain. I have to convert these to feed many people.
Uck. I feel like I have a large burden. But I'm so happy!!

With love,
~Cat
There's so much going on in your life right now, it's no wonder you're feeling a little overwhelmed. Your mamma's right - you have time before you have to make a major decision. Your DA needs you! And you need your education. Who says you can't combine journalism and adventure on the sea? I'm thinking National Geographic

In the meantime, here's something that can relieve a little of that burden: I use cookbook software called Living Cookbook to keep my recipes. It has some great features that can make the cooking needs much more manageable. It can:

- import recipes from the Internet or a file
- scale recipes to any number of servings and save this to a new file
- create cookbooks with chapters for different types of foods
- create grocery lists
- convert to and from metric units
- print recipes in a consistent format
- and much more!

Check it out: http://www.livingcookbook.com/

Tags
fish