"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #111
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I am very excited for you Cat. You have so many opportunities before you! I'm sure you will make the right decisions. You are a very smart young lady!
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #112
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
I'm not so sure about smart, but I thank you! She's safely nestled in her dry dock, everyone has and is seeing her, and the crew is so excitied! My Gizzi called me after seeing her, and he was so very happy! He said she was enormous.

He said Papa told them I would be returning in July for a visit, and they were happy. Papa and Mamma gave me much credit for this, and he said everyone was proud of me.

Mamma will return to Brasov on Saturday, and Papa has gotten some rest now. He'll be staying in our Constanta home, and Mamma will be back and forth. It's difficult for them to be separated, but with the fishing season and Papa's businesses taking him away from home somewhat, they have adapted.

Mamma and I have done very much traveling!

Papa and I spent much time on the phone today. He is still preparing me to take over his businesses and Catina II someday. He knows I want to be a journalist and he thinks I could be. I did say of National Geographic, and he said that was an excellent idea.

The family businesses will either go to to two deadbeat cousins or to me, and my family on both sides want me for this. My cousins are angry of this and they say they deserve at least half of all this.

I say no, and their parents, my Uncle Nicu and his wife, also say no. They failed when they came here; DA sent both of them back and they are older than me. One is living with a man who is a drug addict and the other is simply useless; she has been arrested for Internet scams and is in jail.

Perhaps I could be a freelance journalist, finding news wherever I am? I think I know what my obligations to my family are now but at least I will have some time to figure out how I will do this.

Such adult stuff, this is! I liked it better when I was little and didn't have to worry of this, but I'm in a different set of circumstances now. I guess life changes, yes?

Whatever happens, I'll make it work somehow.

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Cat, we have all watched you grow and develop into a lovely young lady that any of us would be very proud to call you a daughter. By the time you graduate, you will see things even more clearly than you do now. So don't fret so much over the future. You have plenty of time to worry later.

And stop worrying about what Americans will think of you. A very large portion of the population don't even know you exist. And those that do, think you are doing just fine. You will figure tings out in their own time. For the time being, concentrate on DA and your education. You have Papa and The Gizzi to worry about Catina II for the time being. She is safe in her dry berth. By the time you go home in July, she will be almost ready for her first tryouts. You can help by taking the helm and keep her safe in calm waters.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #114
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cat, we have all watched you grow and develop into a lovely young lady that any of us would be very proud to call you a daughter. By the time you graduate, you will see things even more clearly than you do now. So don't fret so much over the future. You have plenty of time to worry later.

And stop worrying about what Americans will think of you. A very large portion of the population don't even know you exist. And those that do, think you are doing just fine. You will figure tings out in their own time. For the time being, concentrate on DA and your education. You have Papa and The Gizzi to worry about Catina II for the time being. She is safe in her dry berth. By the time you go home in July, she will be almost ready for her first tryouts. You can help by taking the helm and keep her safe in calm waters.
I thank you so very much, Addie. You are so kind. If anyone is proud to call me a daughter, I am honored and grateful!

Yes, she is now safe, my cyst is gone and to be honest I can't wait to get Catina II's hands on me and to be yelled at by my Gizzi.

I'm thinking of her tonight, and also of my other love, the original Catina. And Papa said I will do most of the driving of her at the trials.

I'll do my very best, Addie. I promise this to you and to everyone here.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #115
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
We're very worried about the mess in Ukraine. Thank God we got Catina II out of there before this uprising!

Sometimes these things spill over borders and affect the Black Sea fishing fleet.

I'm very worried. If there are border incursions, it could make travel difficult also. We're watching this very closely. My family has friends in Kiev who are keeping us informed, so this is very good.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #116
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
We're very worried about the mess in Ukraine. Thank God we got Catina II out of there before this uprising!

Sometimes these things spill over borders and affect the Black Sea fishing fleet.

I'm very worried. If there are border incursions, it could make travel difficult also. We're watching this very closely. My family has friends in Kiev who are keeping us informed, so this is very good.

With love,
~Cat
I had an attack of the MOTNIs (Middle Of The Night Insomnias) last night and I spent most of it listening to the BBC World Service on the radio. If the Powers That Be, both there and in the rest of the world, get carried away this could escalate into something very, very bad. One of the interviewees went so far as to describe it as threatening a European War. We've already had two too many of those and another would be infinitely worse.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #117
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I had an attack of the MOTNIs (Middle Of The Night Insomnias) last night and I spent most of it listening to the BBC World Service on the radio. If the Powers That Be, both there and in the rest of the world, get carried away this could escalate into something very, very bad. One of the interviewees went so far as to describe it as threatening a European War. We've already had two too many of those and another would be infinitely worse.
You are correct. This could be something terrible. I know of this area of the Black Sea and what an incursion can mean to us.

The Black Sea fishing fleet will be terribly affected and Crimea is just a beginning of what we Romanians have known since 1989. Russia has always hated us for breaking away from Communism and separating from the Eastern Bloc and USSR and being part of the Balkan States now.

I will not go to the politics of this but Putin has always wanted to regain power of and annexing countries such as us, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, and the original USSR states.

Crimea is a very necessary place to the fishing fleet. I'm so very scared. Papa put all his trust in me for to help him make our Catina II and now this happens and now I've dumped his money onto her which may now be a very bad thing.

I saw all the news, I know what I've done. Papa says he wanted her anyway and I'm not to blame and he will continue to build her for us. He said a bunch of Russians don't scare him and he was very loving to me of this.

I didn't know this would happen, and I'm so very, very blessed that I have very forgiving parents. If I could have had an idea of these incursions I would have told Papa to get out of the fleet and wait but it's too late and she is being built as I type now.

I am so very, very scared. Let us hope this doesn't escalate to a war.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #118
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
I am also scared for those you love and all the others caught up in such circumstances.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm scared for all of us.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #120
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
DA wants to go home now, right now. I don't know what to do. I want to go back now also. I could put my education to hold, get DA to Brasov while it's fairly safe to travel, and join the Romanian Navy.

That would put me right there in the Black Sea where I could see what is happening and protect Romania and let my family know of dangers encroaching upon our shores.

Brasov is safe in the junction of the Carpathian Mountains and the Transylvanian Alps, so DA would be safe there. Constanta isn't safe, it's right on the shore of the Black Sea and would be the most vulnerable to an incursion for its harbors and access to the sea.

Perhaps I have been selfish to be here all safe. If my family and my crew friends there are in danger, I can't sit here and watch of this.

I think I've made up my mind. I'm calling Mamma right now. Wish me luck!

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.