"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it.
Love the boat, RJ!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I'm so glad you understand, Ogress and GG. It is his galley and his rules and I tried to show him respect of his domain.

Let's hope we can have just one more season with him. He does love me, and I love him and his wife also!

A 30-foot sailboat? Oh how fun and exciting! You are very lucky!

With love,
~Cat
Cat, have you given any thought to how you are going to ship all this stuff back to Romania? Can you find these objects on line in Romania and save on the shipping costs? Plus you may have to pay sales tax here and then more import taxes in Romania. Why not try to find a ship chandler's store in Europe or Romania. Or even a restaurant supply place. Perhaps your present cook knows of a place nearby in Romania where they sell ship's wares. For the number of years he has been to sea, he should have some knowledge. BTW when looking at the spec sheet, these plates are made in Japan. Once he looks at the pictures, he will know what you are looking for and just might be able to help cut the cost for you.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cat, have you given any thought to how you are going to ship all this stuff back to Romania? Can you find these objects on line in Romania and save on the shipping costs? Plus you may have to pay sales tax here and then more import taxes in Romania. Why not try to find a ship chandler's store in Europe or Romania. Or even a restaurant supply place. Perhaps your present cook knows of a place nearby in Romania where they sell ship's wares. For the number of years he has been to sea, he should have some knowledge. BTW when looking at the spec sheet, these plates are made in Japan. Once he looks at the pictures, he will know what you are looking for and just might be able to help cut the cost for you.
Good ideas Addy.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good ideas Addy.
I know, everyone is going to jump all over me. But here goes anyway.

Cat, if you decide to order from Europe, check the country of origin. I would be very leery of any plastic product that is going to be used for food products, coming out of China. Perhaps there is a manufacturer in Romania that makes this type of dinnerware.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #55
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it.
What a beautiful boat! Cruisin' too, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #56
Proud American

Quote:
I know, everyone is going to jump all over me. But here goes anyway.

Cat, if you decide to order from Europe, check the country of origin. I would be very leery of any plastic product that is going to be used for food products, coming out of China. Perhaps there is a manufacturer in Romania that makes this type of dinnerware.
Addie, please? I know this. These are only ideas, please. I'm only getting ideas. There is a very long way between just ideas to ask for advice and what will be put on her later and finally.

Please, just ideas. I'm not making final decisions of this. That will be a long way away. I haven't called the Grizzi yet, yes?

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated but please, just ideas are for now.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #57
Proud American

Quote:
These are only ideas. I know my budget, yes? This will take much time.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #58
Proud American

All right now! Good news!

I talked to the Gizzi...forever...and he loves the bright colors!! The galley will have 2 portholes and he said we could paint the walls in bright colors also. His idea was to paint each wall a different primary color and to have the plates as colorful so as to carry the bright, cheerful feeling all the way through to the dining area, which will have 3 portholes. He said if he could work in a galley like the one we've planned or close to it, he would definitely be with us for the 2015 season!!

I got my wish!!

Now he calls me "Little Captain Cat!" I know I sound very silly, but I cried a little when he called me that. It was like he reached into my chest and patted me on the heart, like he always patted my head.

He definitely loves heavy aluminum and stainless steel, the heavier, the better, he said. The cast iron is a go also! He said I got everything right!

He also liked the Peacock flatware, but I was surprised to hear him ask if I could find something a little bit fancier. I was sending all this to his wife, who was on the computer showing him everything I was sending. Then we talked about utensils. He likes the plain stainless utensils and he doesn't mind the silicone ones either. He had several things he wanted but never got for his galley: a real chef's hat and apron, professional knives, an electric can opener (I got that - under-the-cabinet model), a good gas grill, and a rotisserie/convection oven.

I also knew he hated the old butcher-block counters, so I asked him what he would prefer: marble or granite? He likes both, and he told me to get whatever was cheaper and would look nice. Which is better? Marble or granite?

His wife offered to make lace curtains for the portholes and make tablecloths too, for she does beautiful embroidery work.

She will send me a list of what to get: how many saucepans, what sizes, how many stockpots, what sizes, etc., etc. OH --he also wants a couple of double-boilers, a high-rise faucet and the deepest double sink we can find.

So, now I'm waiting for the list, I have to find out from you about marble and granite countertops, find a fancier set of flatware, and find the things he wants. I'll be buying his chef's hat and apron and his knives and the gas grill from my own money. I owe him so very much.

I'll need help with the knives, but I know where in Constanta his grill is!

So! Here we are. This is where I am right now.

Catina II has moved another 19 miles as of right now. I know it sounds very odd that something on the sea would move so slowly, but it's winter and they have run into ice sometimes and this hull and keel is extremely heavy.

So! Please tell me of your ideas of this. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We have a thread discussing granite and other stone work surfaces: Using granite countertop as 'pastry board'. It seems that granite and marble aren't quite as sanitary as quartz. Corian might be as sanitary as quartz and is probably less expensive.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #60
Proud American

Thank you! I'll go and see.

With love,
~Cat

Tags
fish