"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #81
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How many of us wish we could sail on the Catina II? I know I would love it!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh yes!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The description states the mugs hold 11 ounces.
Dang! I went looking to see if they said how big the mugs were and I never found that. Thanks Dawg. I guess I only know about the really old Corelle cups. We got a set of Butterfly Gold for our shower nearly 40 years ago and all I remember from back then were very unmanly-sized cups.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Dang! I went looking to see if they said how big the mugs were and I never found that. Thanks Dawg. I guess I only know about the really old Corelle cups. We got a set of Butterfly Gold for our shower nearly 40 years ago and all I remember from back then were very unmanly-sized cups.
Back the 8 oz was a normal size for a coffee cup. I have some of those little cups from a Duralex set of dishes I bought in the late '70s. The only time those get used for coffee nowadays is when I serve espresso in them.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
We've got it!!!! Papa goes to pay for it tomorrow morning!!

The financier also took about $1,200 off the cost to rid of this for he needs the dry dock space for another boat. It will have to be towed to Constanta and that will take a long time.

I just knew if I could find a keel and empty hull it would be cheaper than to build it! Now I've got this extra money in the budget to redistribute it! I'm putting most of into the electronics for now. I want a state-of-the-art wheelhouse with the best equipment we can get for the money. This is the lifeblood of the vessel, the brain of it. It's so important to have good equipment!

Catina's survival suits, fire extinguishers, and other safety equipment will just be transferred. This hull allows for a very large rudder, nearly four times the size of Catina's rudder. It's because this was built for a cargo vessel and with all that weight compared to that of a luxury yacht/fishing vessel that there is this room. The keel is also backset, meaning the propulsion system can be very large with two screws instead of one. The engines can well support two screws.

NO SAILS! I told Papa if he wants a sailboat, go get one. This will be the best fishing vessel in the entire Black Sea fleet! HA! Two engines, two screws, large rudder, double hull construction, icebreaker bow....oh my gosh this will be the best boat ever!!

No cooking tonight! It is time for celebration and looking forward, while remembering our beloved Catina also. Her engines and many parts of her will be in this one, and as Papa said, she will be all mine!

He said she is mine because I proved myself worthy of her by working very hard on Catina and I never complained. But I love hard work! I loved working on her. Papa works hard also; he got just as dirty as I did on Catina, and he worked the deck and the reel and the nets.

I'm putting Mamma and DA into Joy and we're going to Outback, which we love!

Now I've got to reassess all the electronics, look up more stuff, I need to find shafts and screws and a rudder now that I have these accurate specifications and I have to find very good windows for the wheelhouse. Papa wants a two-bunk (upper/lower) space off the wheelhouse so I won't have to sleep on the floor any more.

So much to do! I'm so very happy!

With love,
~Cat
Congratulations. I hope everything goes well and you have many more years of sailing. "God bless her and all who sail in her"
Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #86
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it.

Beautiful boat.

Not in the same class but when I was in my early teens my Dad and I built one of these:-
Mirror dinghy 50 years old: The boat that launched a thousand Olympic dreams - Mirror Online

It was sold as a DIY kit by the Daily Mirror newspaper and we built it in the evenings and on Sundays over the winter. We spent many summers with it at the seaside on Anglesey - an island off the coast of North Wales where we had a holiday caravan (trailer). I learned to sail in it (couldn't do it now!) and Dad and my uncle used to go fishing for mackerel for supper in it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow MC! Built a dinghy with your dad. I'm impressed, even if it was a DIY kit.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #88
Proud American

Thank you all! I have such amazing news! The first of the electronics were delivered to our Constanta home today. The sonar, the radio, and the GPS and the fishfinder are there!

The radar arrives next week sometime, and the antennae and mast will be a little longer because these have to be custom-built. Uck. That took forever. Germans can be difficult.

I'd love to have all of you onboard her! The Gizzi would be in sea galley heaven with so many good cooks aboard!

She's made only 28 miles since I last posted. Squalls and ice have misbehaved and so her progress is slow. In the mean time, Catina is being dismantled and the work is going well so far as CatinaII makes her way along the coast.

I've found this very challenging for doing all this on the computer and on the phone. But I've had a lot of help from the architect and the engineer Papa has working for him. I won't know anything about the shafts or the rudder or the screws until CatinaII is in dry dock and they can make the precise measurements. I do know she will have two screws and a very large rudder, but that is all I know right now about her propulsion system. She will have two engines but I think I said that already.

Papa is giving away many good parts of Catina to other vessels. Some Black Sea fishing vessels are not like the American vessels, and so many need a bit of help. The Constanta Black Sea fishing fleet is very close-knitted and everyone helps another always. Papa and other more successful ones have given fish and supplies and other things to those who are not so fortunate, and so it is much like a family.

I received a note in the mail from the Gizzi on Friday. It made me cry. He called me Little Captain and said he would give two seasons, if I were there. He said I was just like Papa and he said he loves all of us, Papa, Mamma, and me.

I will not let him down. I love him and his family also. For he to say I am just like Papa is an extraordinary compliment. Maybe someday I'll deserve it.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice to hear that everything is progressing well. What a sweet thing for the Gizzi to say. <3
Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #90
Proud American

He and his wife came to my baptism. I love them and their family. When we go to their home, the only way to describe it is "happy pandemonium."

They have many children and grandchildren, and there is so very much love there.

Thank you, Taxy. He is a very kind and good man, and his family is just like him.

With love,
~Cat

Tags
fish