Catina 1929 - 2014; Our Fishing Vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you both! Those looks so very good!

One thing I want to put aboard Catina is a real spice and herb cabinet.

And there is room for new cookware for the galley and I found a good website:

Cookware | KaTom Restaurant Supply, Inc.

And new dishes! Look how colorful and cheerful these are! They are melamine. We can't have china or glass onboard, for flying glass and china will shatter and hurt people:

GET B-86-MIX 8 oz Bowl, 6 in, Melamine, Mardi Gras Mix

And nice flatware:

Winco 0031-10 European Table Spoon, Extra Heavy, 18/8 Stainless Steel, Peacock Design

There are other colors and patterns on the website; I'm just beginning to look through and get ideas. I want the galley to be colorful and very cheerful, while also being efficient and easy to work in. Catina's galley was dark, depressing, uninspiring and tiny. One cook in there was one person too many.

If you have other websites which you know will be a help to me, please share it. If you don't like the direction in which I am going here, please tell me. I can't afford to make even one mistake; this is all for Papa.

With love,
~Cat

Things look great, ~Cat. I would consider getting your current cook's advice on cookware. I know you said he was up there in years, but he would like to be involved in the new project and he has so much experience for you to learn from.

Oh! I do know he likes bright colors, because we have been to their home for dinner many times and he never liked the plain white dinnerware and the plain flatware on Catina. I didn't either and I was the only one who cared about things like that so we complained about it together, when he wasn't napping.

I do know he likes heavy aluminum, stainless steel, and cast iron and absolutely hates anything non-stick.

I have a new iPhone and I upgraded it to the Straight Talk International service card plan, so I'll get his number from Papa tomorrow and call him. I'll pin him down to exactly what he wants, and perhaps this will entice him to spend one more season with us. That's all I want, just some more time with the Gizzi in his beloved galley. He would run everyone else off who tried to help him except Papa, the deck foreman, and me.

He ordered me around very sternly. Stir this, get me three eggs, cut these potatoes up, move it, girl, wash this, get this, fetch that, get out of the way, girl, and on and on! I had to hurry and scurry to keep up! He wasn't being mean, it's his galley and it's his way of showing he appreciated me by making me work and fussing at me.

I hope none of you think he is mean. He always had extra hugs for me, and every season he would bring me a box of his wife's homemade candy. He and his wife are like an aunt and uncle to me, and they are beloved friends to my family. They have 11 children, 28 grandchildren, and I think 3 great-grandchildren now.

When I call him, I'll let you all know of the changes. Thank you both so very much!

I know his wife has a computer because she and I email each other. I love her! She'll be able to help show the Gizzi what I'm looking at here.

I want to make this galley perfect for him, too, so that maybe I could have just one more season of get this, fetch that, wash these beans, turn those pancakes and bring me the bacon, give me the tongs, watch that gravy, get out of the way, girl, peel this, cut that, sift this, and don't let that scorch!

Oh! I can tell him of these recipes too! He will love this, I do know.

I can hardly wait to talk to him. I hope he'll be proud of me. We will see tomorrow.

With love,
~Cat

He is already proud of you, he lets you in HIS galley. Mean? not a mean bone in his body, he loves you, too!

He is already proud of you, he lets you in HIS galley. Mean? not a mean bone in his body, he loves you, too!

+1!! He's teaching you in the best way. As you know, on a ship, orders have to be obeyed quickly and unquestioningly, even in the galley.

Did I ever tell you my uncle sailed around the world in a 30-foot sailboat? I got to sail with him and his wife for 5 weeks. It was a great trip :)

Last edited:
I'm so glad you understand, Ogress and GG. It is his galley and his rules and I tried to show him respect of his domain.

Let's hope we can have just one more season with him. He does love me, and I love him and his wife also!

A 30-foot sailboat? Oh how fun and exciting! You are very lucky!

With love,
~Cat

Last edited:
And new dishes! Look how colorful and cheerful these are! They are melamine. We can't have china or glass onboard, for flying glass and china will shatter and hurt people:

GET B-86-MIX 8 oz Bowl, 6 in, Melamine, Mardi Gras Mix
Cat - These are the dishes we have on our boat. It's not near the size of yours, but when Mrs D is in the galley and the waves get rough out on Georgian Bay, we can't have anything that will break. They are made by Corelle and I think we got them at Walmart.

img_1336988_0_b72086f79263c5368fffe52c1acd69ed.jpg

Oh my! Those are very pretty. I hadn't thought of Corelle!

I'll go look at Corelle and see if I can find something the Gizzi will like. I think he'll like yours.

What kind of boat do you have?

With love,
~Cat

Oh my! Those are very pretty. I hadn't thought of Corelle!

I'll go look at Corelle and see if I can find something the Gizzi will like. I think he'll like yours.

What kind of boat do you have?

With love,
~Cat
I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it. :LOL:

img_1336993_0_3e328c2ae712a44d13b549ee72310d5d.jpg

I'm so glad you understand, Ogress and GG. It is his galley and his rules and I tried to show him respect of his domain.

Let's hope we can have just one more season with him. He does love me, and I love him and his wife also!

A 30-foot sailboat? Oh how fun and exciting! You are very lucky!

With love,
~Cat

Cat, have you given any thought to how you are going to ship all this stuff back to Romania? Can you find these objects on line in Romania and save on the shipping costs? Plus you may have to pay sales tax here and then more import taxes in Romania. Why not try to find a ship chandler's store in Europe or Romania. Or even a restaurant supply place. Perhaps your present cook knows of a place nearby in Romania where they sell ship's wares. For the number of years he has been to sea, he should have some knowledge. BTW when looking at the spec sheet, these plates are made in Japan. Once he looks at the pictures, he will know what you are looking for and just might be able to help cut the cost for you. :angel:

Cat, have you given any thought to how you are going to ship all this stuff back to Romania? Can you find these objects on line in Romania and save on the shipping costs? Plus you may have to pay sales tax here and then more import taxes in Romania. Why not try to find a ship chandler's store in Europe or Romania. Or even a restaurant supply place. Perhaps your present cook knows of a place nearby in Romania where they sell ship's wares. For the number of years he has been to sea, he should have some knowledge. BTW when looking at the spec sheet, these plates are made in Japan. Once he looks at the pictures, he will know what you are looking for and just might be able to help cut the cost for you. :angel:
Good ideas Addy.
:angel:

Good ideas Addy.
:angel:

I know, everyone is going to jump all over me. But here goes anyway.

Cat, if you decide to order from Europe, check the country of origin. I would be very leery of any plastic product that is going to be used for food products, coming out of China. Perhaps there is a manufacturer in Romania that makes this type of dinnerware. :angel:

I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it. :LOL:

img_1337058_0_3e328c2ae712a44d13b549ee72310d5d.jpg

What a beautiful boat! Cruisin' too, yes?

With love,
~Cat

I know, everyone is going to jump all over me. But here goes anyway.

Cat, if you decide to order from Europe, check the country of origin. I would be very leery of any plastic product that is going to be used for food products, coming out of China. Perhaps there is a manufacturer in Romania that makes this type of dinnerware. :angel:

Addie, please? I know this. These are only ideas, please. I'm only getting ideas. There is a very long way between just ideas to ask for advice and what will be put on her later and finally.

Please, just ideas. I'm not making final decisions of this. That will be a long way away. I haven't called the Grizzi yet, yes?

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated but please, just ideas are for now.

With love,
~Cat

Last edited:

These are only ideas. I know my budget, yes? This will take much time.

With love,
~Cat

All right now! Good news!

I talked to the Gizzi...forever...and he loves the bright colors!! The galley will have 2 portholes and he said we could paint the walls in bright colors also. His idea was to paint each wall a different primary color and to have the plates as colorful so as to carry the bright, cheerful feeling all the way through to the dining area, which will have 3 portholes. He said if he could work in a galley like the one we've planned or close to it, he would definitely be with us for the 2015 season!!

I got my wish!!

Now he calls me "Little Captain Cat!" I know I sound very silly, but I cried a little when he called me that. It was like he reached into my chest and patted me on the heart, like he always patted my head.

He definitely loves heavy aluminum and stainless steel, the heavier, the better, he said. The cast iron is a go also! He said I got everything right!

He also liked the Peacock flatware, but I was surprised to hear him ask if I could find something a little bit fancier. I was sending all this to his wife, who was on the computer showing him everything I was sending. Then we talked about utensils. He likes the plain stainless utensils and he doesn't mind the silicone ones either. He had several things he wanted but never got for his galley: a real chef's hat and apron, professional knives, an electric can opener (I got that - under-the-cabinet model), a good gas grill, and a rotisserie/convection oven.

I also knew he hated the old butcher-block counters, so I asked him what he would prefer: marble or granite? He likes both, and he told me to get whatever was cheaper and would look nice. Which is better? Marble or granite?

His wife offered to make lace curtains for the portholes and make tablecloths too, for she does beautiful embroidery work.

She will send me a list of what to get: how many saucepans, what sizes, how many stockpots, what sizes, etc., etc. OH --he also wants a couple of double-boilers, a high-rise faucet and the deepest double sink we can find.

So, now I'm waiting for the list, I have to find out from you about marble and granite countertops, find a fancier set of flatware, and find the things he wants. I'll be buying his chef's hat and apron and his knives and the gas grill from my own money. I owe him so very much.

I'll need help with the knives, but I know where in Constanta his grill is!

So! Here we are. This is where I am right now.

Catina II has moved another 19 miles as of right now. I know it sounds very odd that something on the sea would move so slowly, but it's winter and they have run into ice sometimes and this hull and keel is extremely heavy.

So! Please tell me of your ideas of this. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom