Catina 1929 - 2014; Our Fishing Vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The description states the mugs hold 11 ounces.
Dang! I went looking to see if they said how big the mugs were and I never found that. Thanks Dawg. I guess I only know about the really old Corelle cups. We got a set of Butterfly Gold for our shower nearly 40 years ago and all I remember from back then were very unmanly-sized cups. :LOL:

Dang! I went looking to see if they said how big the mugs were and I never found that. Thanks Dawg. I guess I only know about the really old Corelle cups. We got a set of Butterfly Gold for our shower nearly 40 years ago and all I remember from back then were very unmanly-sized cups. :LOL:
Back the 8 oz was a normal size for a coffee cup. I have some of those little cups from a Duralex set of dishes I bought in the late '70s. The only time those get used for coffee nowadays is when I serve espresso in them.

We've got it!!!! Papa goes to pay for it tomorrow morning!!

The financier also took about $1,200 off the cost to rid of this for he needs the dry dock space for another boat. It will have to be towed to Constanta and that will take a long time.

I just knew if I could find a keel and empty hull it would be cheaper than to build it! Now I've got this extra money in the budget to redistribute it! I'm putting most of into the electronics for now. I want a state-of-the-art wheelhouse with the best equipment we can get for the money. This is the lifeblood of the vessel, the brain of it. It's so important to have good equipment!

Catina's survival suits, fire extinguishers, and other safety equipment will just be transferred. This hull allows for a very large rudder, nearly four times the size of Catina's rudder. It's because this was built for a cargo vessel and with all that weight compared to that of a luxury yacht/fishing vessel that there is this room. The keel is also backset, meaning the propulsion system can be very large with two screws instead of one. The engines can well support two screws.

NO SAILS! I told Papa if he wants a sailboat, go get one. This will be the best fishing vessel in the entire Black Sea fleet! HA! Two engines, two screws, large rudder, double hull construction, icebreaker bow....oh my gosh this will be the best boat ever!!

No cooking tonight! It is time for celebration and looking forward, while remembering our beloved Catina also. Her engines and many parts of her will be in this one, and as Papa said, she will be all mine!

He said she is mine because I proved myself worthy of her by working very hard on Catina and I never complained. But I love hard work! I loved working on her. Papa works hard also; he got just as dirty as I did on Catina, and he worked the deck and the reel and the nets.

I'm putting Mamma and DA into Joy and we're going to Outback, which we love!

Now I've got to reassess all the electronics, look up more stuff, I need to find shafts and screws and a rudder now that I have these accurate specifications and I have to find very good windows for the wheelhouse. Papa wants a two-bunk (upper/lower) space off the wheelhouse so I won't have to sleep on the floor any more.

So much to do! I'm so very happy!

With love,
~Cat
Congratulations. I hope everything goes well and you have many more years of sailing. "God bless her and all who sail in her"

I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it. :LOL:

img_1338814_0_3e328c2ae712a44d13b549ee72310d5d.jpg
Beautiful boat.

Not in the same class but when I was in my early teens my Dad and I built one of these:-
Mirror dinghy 50 years old: The boat that launched a thousand Olympic dreams - Mirror Online

It was sold as a DIY kit by the Daily Mirror newspaper and we built it in the evenings and on Sundays over the winter. We spent many summers with it at the seaside on Anglesey - an island off the coast of North Wales where we had a holiday caravan (trailer). I learned to sail in it (couldn't do it now!) and Dad and my uncle used to go fishing for mackerel for supper in it.

Last edited:
Thank you all! I have such amazing news! The first of the electronics were delivered to our Constanta home today. The sonar, the radio, and the GPS and the fishfinder are there!

The radar arrives next week sometime, and the antennae and mast will be a little longer because these have to be custom-built. Uck. That took forever. Germans can be difficult.

I'd love to have all of you onboard her! The Gizzi would be in sea galley heaven with so many good cooks aboard!

She's made only 28 miles since I last posted. Squalls and ice have misbehaved and so her progress is slow. In the mean time, Catina is being dismantled and the work is going well so far as CatinaII makes her way along the coast.

I've found this very challenging for doing all this on the computer and on the phone. But I've had a lot of help from the architect and the engineer Papa has working for him. I won't know anything about the shafts or the rudder or the screws until CatinaII is in dry dock and they can make the precise measurements. I do know she will have two screws and a very large rudder, but that is all I know right now about her propulsion system. She will have two engines but I think I said that already.

Papa is giving away many good parts of Catina to other vessels. Some Black Sea fishing vessels are not like the American vessels, and so many need a bit of help. The Constanta Black Sea fishing fleet is very close-knitted and everyone helps another always. Papa and other more successful ones have given fish and supplies and other things to those who are not so fortunate, and so it is much like a family.

I received a note in the mail from the Gizzi on Friday. It made me cry. He called me Little Captain and said he would give two seasons, if I were there. He said I was just like Papa and he said he loves all of us, Papa, Mamma, and me.

I will not let him down. I love him and his family also. For he to say I am just like Papa is an extraordinary compliment. Maybe someday I'll deserve it.

With love,
~Cat

He and his wife came to my baptism. I love them and their family. When we go to their home, the only way to describe it is "happy pandemonium."

They have many children and grandchildren, and there is so very much love there.

Thank you, Taxy. He is a very kind and good man, and his family is just like him.

With love,
~Cat

It's a nickname. Roughly translated, it means "a rat in a kitchen." Someone started that about 20 years ago, I think, and it stuck to him. He likes it! His real name is the same for male and female, and he doesn't like that.

He also likes rats and other small rodents, but not on the boat. He always has a pair of rats at home. It's fun to see their cats frustrate themselves trying to get to their cage!

Look what I found! I think there's a way to stay in touch next season! We won't need it this year for she won't be out very much yet:

Marlink, Fishing Boats and Vessels, Sealink, MSS, Maritime VSAT, Maritime Satellite Communications, Fleet Broadband, Maritime Email, Maritime Broadband, Marine Satellite Communications, Marine VSAT, Ship Satellite Communications, Onboard Internet, On

With love,
~Cat

It's a nickname. Roughly translated, it means "a rat in a kitchen." Someone started that about 20 years ago, I think, and it stuck to him. He likes it! His real name is the same for male and female, and he doesn't like that.

He also likes rats and other small rodents, but not on the boat. He always has a pair of rats at home. It's fun to see their cats frustrate themselves trying to get to their cage!

Look what I found! I think there's a way to stay in touch next season! We won't need it this year for she won't be out very much yet:

Marlink, Fishing Boats and Vessels, Sealink, MSS, Maritime VSAT, Maritime Satellite Communications, Fleet Broadband, Maritime Email, Maritime Broadband, Marine Satellite Communications, Marine VSAT, Ship Satellite Communications, Onboard Internet, On

With love,
~Cat

That is great. You can find out ahead of coming in the price if it is up or down. :angel:

Yes! It seems feasible.

She only has made 19 miles. The ice is becoming a bad problem. Papa said we'll be lucky to get her to Constanta on time but he's not worried. He said she will get there, and the work will start.

I wish I could be there!

With love,
~Cat

She has stopped now. The ice is severe and posing a very bad danger.

I spoke to the Gizzi and his wife today! They are very happy about the new Catina II, but he says he will only give two seasons for me, then he will retire.

One of his sons is an excellent cook, and has expressed an interest of working for Papa on Catina II!! He will speak to Papa of this. Wouldn't this be just wonderful? He has offered to train under his father for the Gizzi's last two seasons.

I am so happy! Here is the hope of the Gizzi's legacy upon Catina II! This is so much more than I had ever hoped for! I am so happy tonight I feel as I will burst.

With love,
~Cat

The weather finally cleared.

Catina II is home!!

Oh my oh my I am so very happy! She made it!! I missed a call from Papa but Mamma called and she is HOME!!!!

Everything has arrived to our Constanta home to wait for to be put on her, now it's to the architect and engineer to put her together!

We did it, we did it!! HA!!! I'm so very happy I am crying!!

Oh I must call the Gizzi. I need to see if his son still wants to be a cook.

With love,
~Cat

I called the Gizzi. We do have a cook! Foo! I was a bit worried!

I can't stand being away from all of this fun! Gizzi and his wife and the crew are to look at her tomorrow. I wish I were there! Oh why can't I be in two places at one time?

I'm starting on the recipe book. I'm printing these out now, and I will have to cover each page in plastic in case of spills. Books and papers become messy on boats in galleys and in rain. I have to convert these to feed many people.

I can just imagine how relieved and tired Papa is right now. Mamma said he was exhausted and could barely talk, and he was freezing. He went to the Gizzi's home for dinner and was so tired he is sleeping there tonight. By the time I talked to the Gizzi, Papa was asleep. He's been up for three days straight on this last push to the harbor!

My Gizzi is wonderful! He can cook a hearty meal in no time and so can his wife. They are taking good care of Papa. Imagine being so tired one cannot drive four more miles to go home! Poor, dear, dedicated Papa!

Mamma is driving through the night to get to Constanta to see Catina II. She called her substitute and the nice lady was happy for the work for the rest of the week. I pray Mamma gets there safely. She is tired also. Uncle Nicu will be there also in the morning.

Now I'm a mess. I don't know if I'm going to be a journalist or not. Something inside my chest pulls me when I think of the sea and I can't get rid of this. I think I'm going in a wrong direction. I just don't know. I told Mamma and she said I have time to think of this.

Uck. I feel like I have a large burden. But I'm so happy!!

With love,
~Cat

I'm starting on the recipe book. I'm printing these out now, and I will have to cover each page in plastic in case of spills. Books and papers become messy on boats in galleys and in rain. I have to convert these to feed many people.
Uck. I feel like I have a large burden. But I'm so happy!!

With love,
~Cat

There's so much going on in your life right now, it's no wonder you're feeling a little overwhelmed. Your mamma's right - you have time before you have to make a major decision. Your DA needs you! And you need your education. Who says you can't combine journalism and adventure on the sea? I'm thinking National Geographic :)

In the meantime, here's something that can relieve a little of that burden: I use cookbook software called Living Cookbook to keep my recipes. It has some great features that can make the cooking needs much more manageable. It can:

- import recipes from the Internet or a file
- scale recipes to any number of servings and save this to a new file
- create cookbooks with chapters for different types of foods
- create grocery lists
- convert to and from metric units
- print recipes in a consistent format
- and much more! :LOL:

Check it out: http://www.livingcookbook.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom