Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just watched the stage musical - Cats - again. I was as entranced by the genius of the cast and brilliance of the musical as when I first saw it, even on TV with commercial interruptions. How can you not fall in love with such a wonderful piece of artistic display?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

hack, hack, hack-ptooey.

sorry, i had a hairball.

:D

you know, for years i worked across the street from the winter garden theater, where the broadway "cats" production was performed. i never got a chance to see it though.

i guess i should see it someday on dvd.

and gw, licking your hands and then wiping them on your face is not an acceptable way of washing up before dinner. :angel:

I saw it twice live in Vancouver and the movie of the London Production on DVD. It is one of my favourites - just remember to have your lint brush handy!

In the movie production, the performers were amazing. The strength they displayed in their movements, their effortless jumps and graceful dance, coupled with little movements that accentuated and colored a particular move made them seem almost like real cats, with a semi-human face. The stories that they told with the wonderful songs and dance.... Suffice it to say that such virtuoso performances can put a lump in my throat, as can an amazingly well done piece of rock music, or classical piece. But it has to be intelligent. It has to have been planned, not just a moment of spontaneous genius. I get thrilled knowing the time and practice put into such things, the near perfection that can be achieved. The combined hours put into their craft by the musical cast, training to sing as they sing, to dance as they dance must be in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands. Each performer was perfect in their role. And then their is the author of the show, that transformed a book from T.S. Elliot into such a vibrant and artistic display. The music that had to be written, and the dance that had to be choreographed, astound me.

I have had similar reactions to other shows, other plays. My own daughter brought me to tears, singing and acting the lead part in the play - Bye Bye Birdie, that she participated in while a senior in high school. But she worked hard in a high school jazz choir, and in church choir, and singing in the house, and in her bedroom, and in her car, to develop her talent. The fact that she has a naturally rich and vibrant voice didn't hurt either.

though I love cooking both as an engineer, and as an artist, and though I appreciated a fine sculpture, or painting, even wonder at the talent, there is no other art form that can move me like music and dance. Done well, it touches my deepest feelings. And to me, these are the arts that truly sets us apart from every other living creature on the planet, and yet, connect us together with those same creatures.

For a few amazing people, musical genius comes almost effortlessly. But for most truly amazing musicians, and dancers, there are few people who put as much effort into their craft. They are a gift to the rest of us who get to watch, listen, and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Now excuse me. I need to lick the outside of my left thigh. I have an itch. :)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
As good as that production was, Goodweed, and it was incredible, I certainly recommend to you to see it live if it ever comes near you. To actually be so close to that junkyard set is even more magnificent than on film. That is why I saw it twice - two different casts, same incredible performance.

Back
Top Bottom