"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cats, Stray, what to do?

I think there are cat lovers here, even some "Rescueres"..

I have a Stray Male, with (how can I say it "Big Juevoes" under his tale..

Living in my backyard under a trailer that is parked there..

He is nice enough, but very wild..

We have a large problem here of too many not Nuetured cats..

Should I call the Dog Catcher? They'll never catch him!

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There are places that spay/neuter feral cats, give them basic shots, then release them back where they came from, as their mousing skills are appreciated. Does your local Humane Society have such a program? Our HS gives a discount on spay/neuter of farm cats but doesn't have a feral program.

A Havahart trap (you can rent them) baited with canned tuna works for capture. The HS or dogcatcher may be able to get him. When you say nice enough, does that mean you can pet him?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Contact a local cat rescue organization and ask if they know of a feral cat "neuter and release" program or your local SPCA. Our local SPCA does this. You have to bring the cat in (which means trapping it in a live trap) and pick it back up when it is fixed. The last feral cat I captured cost me $75 to have it vetted under this program.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Live trap, the posts above are exactly correct!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Yep .. live trap. Our humane society asks for a $30 deposit which is fully refundable when you return the trap so that should cost you nothing.

Good luck !!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Many of our neighbors do the catch, neuter, exam, shots, and release thing. I guess some might not like the idea, but they also feed the feral cats and provide shelter (a shed or garage door left slightly open in the winter). We live in a small town in a rural area, and I, for one, am grateful for any help in keeping the rodent population down. When I lived in Hawaii, many did the same thing (I just would semi-adopt a feral, that is to say feed and provide shelter) for the same purpose. Feral cat, or rats and mice? Take your pick. Because many totally domestic cats won't have anything to do with hunting. So I approve of the catch and release way of doing things.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If all the feral cats in an area are eliminated, other feral cats will move in. If the cats are neutered and returned to the area, they will keep out the feral cats from other areas.

So catch and release keeps down the numbers and keeps them healthier. Lots of stuff the domestics won't be catching from their feral brothers.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Many of our neighbors do the catch, neuter, exam, shots, and release thing. I guess some might not like the idea, but they also feed the feral cats and provide shelter (a shed or garage door left slightly open in the winter). We live in a small town in a rural area, and I, for one, am grateful for any help in keeping the rodent population down. When I lived in Hawaii, many did the same thing (I just would semi-adopt a feral, that is to say feed and provide shelter) for the same purpose. Feral cat, or rats and mice? Take your pick. Because many totally domestic cats won't have anything to do with hunting. So I approve of the catch and release way of doing things.
I remember reading about several towns that do this. Makes sense.

One of the coolest cats I've ever known, we called him Chester, was more doglike than catlike. Would follow us around like he was on a leash. Made the mistake of giving him to an out of town friend who'd just lost her cat. Chester kept insisting on being outside, which caused many tickets from Animal Control, as cats were not allowed to roam in her city. My friend eventually had to surrender him to the HS.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

We've lived here for 11 years, and for ten of them there was a gal we called MomCat. Every year she'd have a litter of the most gorgeous kittens, and I wanted to adopt one, but husband said no, two dogs are enough (he was probably right). But we did a concerted effort and my neighbor trapped and had her spayed and released. She was a hunter extrodinaire. We'd seen her leap in the air and catch birds (not for her just picking off the lazy pidgeons on the ground). I'd seen her run off with squirrels about her size. Most of us, especially in the winter, would leave her some food. And aforementioned neighbor had a shed door propped open for her, plus there's an abandoned school building across the street where we'd crack up to see her sitting inside, licking her paws and observing the world below. She disappeared this year, so assume she's dead, but let me tell you, it wasn't of starvation, just old age.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I think every community should have a catch/spay/neuter/vaccinate/release program. The only viable alternative is to just kill them all, and that's too heartless for me.