"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
What dry urinary tract formula food/brand do you feed him? Our boy cat almost died because of crystals forming due to the dry food (meow mix) he loved. Now the vet says he can only eat science diet s/d and c/d food or he will die if he eats other food. That stuff is expensive and we have to feed our girl cat the same food or Georgie will eat her food. Now neither will eat much food because they don't like it much.
I just buy the 9 Lives Special Care urinary tract formula. He really likes it. I've also bought Purina One urinary tract formula and he liked that as well.

Luckily I've never had a problem with crystals with him, using this food is just a precautionary measure.

At this point he's a senior citizen and he can have whatever makes him happy!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cats are carnivores, the dry food is what's making them fat. Purina dry food has corn in it, not a normal food for cats.
That sounds likely to me. I suspect that carbs in cat food are part of the reason a lot of cats are diabetic nowadays.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Also when you do use canned cat food, read the ingredients. Make sure there are no fish that are high in natural oils. Like Salmon. Tuna is another one.
Where do you get that idea? Recipes from veterinary nutritionists often include fish oil. I have read that cats shouldn't be fed a lot of fish, especially tuna.
Quote:
My sister had an all black cat that was huge that we called Puma. He was not large with fat, just in size. She only fed him canned cat foods that were from the shellfish family. Shrimp, clams, etc. One can of cat food per day. She knew he was hunting when he went outside. His favorite food was pigeon. We often saw him catch a pigeon in mid air. So she knew he was getting enough to eat. In the winter, he was really getting enough food. All she had to do was throw out some crumbs for the pigeons, and he had his meals for the day.

One day in winter, we watched him catch one. He then ran into the backyard and put it under the back porch. Then he trotted out front again and continued until he had three of them under the porch. He finally decided to eat the fourth one he caught. That night he didn't get a can of cat food. The last time she took him to the vet's, she was told that he was too fat. Her remark to the vet? "I will speak to the birds to fly faster." That vet is still probably wondering what she was talking about. Puma lived to 18 years old. He continued to grow in size, but with no fat!
That reminds me of a cat named Frrimousse. I lived in the same apartment with him for about a half a year. He was a big, red, neutered tomcat. He was tubby. He was the laziest cat I ever met. If it was pelting rain, he wouldn't run to get inside. He would walk fast.

He used to sun himself on the roof. He would do this long enough that the pigeons would forget about him. Then, still lying down, he would grab a pigeon with one paw and eat it.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Although Purina has great marketing, its actually not as good for cats as they claim. When we adopted our cat, she was eating Purina. We switched her to Science Diet because it's much healthier.

My cat also started gaining weight. As much as i love her nibbling, i now ration her food and that helped. She's 12 pounds so i give her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night. I don't take her food up during the day, but she's adjusted well to the schedule and lost the weight.

Also, don't forget that if you give them lots of treats, you need to give them a little less food. It's amazing how filling treats can be.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Where do you get that idea? Recipes from veterinary nutritionists often include fish oil. I have read that cats shouldn't be fed a lot of fish, especially tuna.
Common sense. How often do you ever see a cat go fishing for their food at the oceans edge or in a brook? Also advice from Puma's vet. I do know it used to give Puma diarrhea every time she would eat an oily fish canned food.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

If I were a pet owner, I would be reading the back of the package or can very closely. I also want a "Made in America" company. If citizens of a country are willing to make baby formula that kills new born infants, what is to stop them from doing the same with pet food?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Common sense. How often do you ever see a cat go fishing for their food at the oceans edge or in a brook? Also advice from Puma's vet. I do know it used to give Puma diarrhea every time she would eat an oily fish canned food.
Just like people, cats are individuals and tolerate different things.

I never saw a cat at the ocean, lake, or brook. Ask anyone who has ever had a cat and a fish tank. Most cats will fish when they have the opportunity.

I'm not saying that anyone should feed their cat fish. Too much fish isn't good for cats. They certainly shouldn't have tuna very often.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just like people, cats are individuals and tolerate different things.

I never saw a cat at the ocean, lake, or brook. Ask anyone who has ever had a cat and a fish tank. Most cats will fish when they have the opportunity.

I'm not saying that anyone should feed their cat fish. Too much fish isn't good for cats. They certainly shouldn't have tuna very often.
Don't feed them dog food either. It can do them a lot. of harm
Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Don't feed them dog food either. It can do them a lot. of harm
Certainly don't feed cats dog food regularly. If they only eat a little bit once in a while, it won't cause any problems.

The problem with dog food for cats is that it is nutritionally deficient in protein, some amino acids, some vitamins. and some essential fatty acids. Taurine is the missing nutrient usually mentioned. Cats need to get taurine from animal sources and dogs can make their own taurine, so it's not usually added to dog food.

And yes, it can be very harmful to feed a cat regularly on dog food.
http://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2009/August/21-4582

Tags
fat