"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Caution: disturbing picture

Is this the role model that our little girls have live up to to be considered beautiful? Guys, do you think this model is attractive? This is what walked down the runway in the Summer 2007 Collection. OY VEY!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Is this the girl who walked down the runway and even the skinniest of the skinny, in the audience, gasped?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
DC's Angel

"Honey, does this outfit make my butt look big?"

Good grief!
She wouldn't fit in a hot dog bun!
Buck
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Is this the role model that our little girls have live up to to be considered beautiful? Guys, do you think this model is attractive? This is what walked down the runway in the Summer 2007 Collection. OY VEY!
Oy vey, indeed. Thin can be attractive, but this is emaciated. Someone get that girl a good meal! (She'd be at the right place for that here.)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Master Chef

She better hope a big gust of wind does not blow through!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The only thing holding up her dress is the straps. You see these models time and time again and yet it keeps going on. I saw a woman on the Today Show not long ago who said she was that thin at one time, and now she models as a plus size, at the "big" size of 12-14, which to me is the average size of a healthy woman. I cant believe how nowadays they say that Marilyn Monroe was too heavy! Can you imagine? That woman had a great body, fantastic curves. I really wish this era of "skinny is in mentality" would just go away, these woman are not skinny, they are anorexic, bulimic, or starve themselves.

Not only that, but these models make young girls feel fat such that they are dieting at a younger age. Crazy
Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't find that even remotely appealing.

If you're going to post a photo of a fashion model, why not

Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook

That first pic is a pity, I am totally in favor of Spain's current decision to regulate in some way the runway shows in order to reduce this downward spiral of models' unhealthy appearances which do contribute to young women's perception that they themselves need to look like models to be accepted in society... i know this opens up a can of worms in regards to civil rights and what not, but please, someone give that girl some food!!!

But then, even the second girl is a little too thin for my taste... I guess I like women that appreciate a good meal and can share with me the pleasures of dining!!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Contest Winner

I think all shapes and sizes can be attractive so long as the person is healthy. If they are starving themselves or severely limiting their food intake in order to achieve an unnatural thinness then that is bad... but if they are just naturally scrawny then its okay.

What I dont like is the fashion world exploiting young models. A lot of these girls are seriously, like, 16. I think runway models should be all shapes - big, small, tall, short, etc.

Dont bash the skinnies though! I'm quite thin but I eat like a horse and have been told I am pretty at times.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
How sad. This girl looks like she could've come from a Nazi concentration camp. It's no wonder eating disorders such as anorexia and such are so prevalent. Her clothes look as though they could weigh more than she does. Very poor example for our youth.