Caution: disturbing picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasabi

Executive Chef
Is this the role model that our little girls have live up to to be considered beautiful? Guys, do you think this model is attractive? This is what walked down the runway in the Summer 2007 Collection. OY VEY!

Is this the girl who walked down the runway and even the skinniest of the skinny, in the audience, gasped?

wasabi said:
Is this the role model that our little girls have live up to to be considered beautiful? Guys, do you think this model is attractive? This is what walked down the runway in the Summer 2007 Collection. OY VEY!

Oy vey, indeed. Thin can be attractive, but this is emaciated. Someone get that girl a good meal! (She'd be at the right place for that here.)

The only thing holding up her dress is the straps. You see these models time and time again and yet it keeps going on. I saw a woman on the Today Show not long ago who said she was that thin at one time, and now she models as a plus size, at the "big" size of 12-14, which to me is the average size of a healthy woman. I cant believe how nowadays they say that Marilyn Monroe was too heavy! Can you imagine? That woman had a great body, fantastic curves. I really wish this era of "skinny is in mentality" would just go away, these woman are not skinny, they are anorexic, bulimic, or starve themselves.

Not only that, but these models make young girls feel fat such that they are dieting at a younger age. Crazy :wacko:

I don't find that even remotely appealing.

If you're going to post a photo of a fashion model, why not

tyra_banks_1.jpg

That first pic is a pity, I am totally in favor of Spain's current decision to regulate in some way the runway shows in order to reduce this downward spiral of models' unhealthy appearances which do contribute to young women's perception that they themselves need to look like models to be accepted in society... i know this opens up a can of worms in regards to civil rights and what not, but please, someone give that girl some food!!!

But then, even the second girl is a little too thin for my taste... I guess I like women that appreciate a good meal and can share with me the pleasures of dining!!

I think all shapes and sizes can be attractive so long as the person is healthy. If they are starving themselves or severely limiting their food intake in order to achieve an unnatural thinness then that is bad... but if they are just naturally scrawny then its okay.

What I dont like is the fashion world exploiting young models. A lot of these girls are seriously, like, 16. I think runway models should be all shapes - big, small, tall, short, etc.

Dont bash the skinnies though! I'm quite thin but I eat like a horse and have been told I am pretty at times. :angel:

How sad. This girl looks like she could've come from a Nazi concentration camp. It's no wonder eating disorders such as anorexia and such are so prevalent. Her clothes look as though they could weigh more than she does. Very poor example for our youth.

Well i think there should be a standard. If a BMI of over 25 is overweight then you should think the girls who have a BMI of 10 are TOO SKINNY...

This girl you can see her ribs its disgusting...

Im glad the EU is taking steps into correcting womans health

My husband tells me that he found me more attractive when I put on weight. Not just because I could sit over a meal and enjoy it with him but because he likes the curves and the softness of my body now. I think ultimately we will settle on a happy medium, lol.

That sad thing is, these images ARE everywhere and we start to see girls who are thinner and thinner averagely and the alternative appears to be obesity. I thing moderls should HAVE to fall with in the normal BMI as a industry standard. That way they are promoting clothes and being realistically aspirational.

Chef_Jen said:
Well i think there should be a standard. If a BMI of over 25 is overweight then you should think the girls who have a BMI of 10 are TOO SKINNY...

They do! Less than 18 BMI is medically considered underweight i think.

BMI isn't too reliable tho, i'm just naturally have a tall and slender figure so my BMI 16 or 17, but i consider myself perfectly healthy (and like most of us here, have a love for food)

I don't think this is pretty at all. I had a devil of a time with my daughter, now 19 because of these "fashion plates". She is 6 feet tall,slender, glorious red hair which hangs in long ringlets naturally and photos like these made her feel fat and ugly. I don't know how it can be changed in the fashion world but I sure wish they would do something. I'm tired of not being able to find a tee shirt that covers my navel or jeans that cover my butt!

Back
Top Bottom