Celebrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the midst of my father's 80th birthday party, my daughter Kiersten's 20th birthday (July7),and my son's wedding stuff ,there is a very important date we will be celebrating .On July 20th Kiersten(my daughter) will have maintained her contract weight for an entire year.The past two summers she was hospitalized for anorexia.Though she struggles every day, she is winning the battles and a year is quite an achievement.We are very proud of her and not so much in fear anymore to losing her to this God forsaken disease.It is such a delight to watch her rise above and defeat that which had crippled her.I want to plan something very special for her and once we get past my father's party next weekend I will start.There is alot going on here- more than I can get into but, I WILL NOT lose sight of this important feat in her life.Thank you for listening/reading.Love and energy, Vicki

YAHOO! Vicky what a triumph for your daughter. My hearty congratulations to her, that is a tough thing to do!

Thank you both!! All I can offer to anyone who has someone struggling from an eating disorder is that they must be wanting to get better - no one can make them get better. It took a very long time -Kiersten was diagnosed as an anorexic when she was 12. It was about 6 months after the death of her brother.It was a matter of control for her but, it became more than that and it wasn't until last summer after all those years of treatment that she decided she wanted to get better.She had actually signed herself into the hospital.As a parent already having lost one child and watching another starve herself -there are no words to describe what life was like.I am just greatful that my hardheaded little girl deicded to take a positive turn and put her hardheadness to good use!!!Love and energy, Vicki

VickiQ said:
Thank you both!! All I can offer to anyone who has someone struggling from an eating disorder is that they must be wanting to get better - no one can make them get better. It took a very long time -Kiersten was diagnosed as an anorexic when she was 12. It was about 6 months after the death of her brother.It was a matter of control for her but, it became more than that and it wasn't until last summer after all those years of treatment that she decided she wanted to get better.She had actually signed herself into the hospital.As a parent already having lost one child and watching another starve herself -there are no words to describe what life was like.I am just greatful that my hardheaded little girl deicded to take a positive turn and put her hardheadness to good use!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Vicki,
at the time her hardheadedness had you worried sick, but, it turned into an advantage for her. She is rising above an illness that destroys so many young people...Having parents who were at her side, who truly cared and showed it helped her so much. I'm so happy for you and your family..Having a niece who managed to get passed the worst of it and has gone forward, who is now graduationg with high honors from college, I can see how hard you all have fought to be where you are today..Congratulations to all of you and especially to Kiersten for all her hard work..She is heads above the rest..

kadesma

When I was in my late teens/early 20s I had problems with anorexia/bulemia. Those words did not exist, and because I am large boned, no one really noticed. I got thinner and thinner and got more and more compliments. No one noticed I was going the the bathroom after every bite I ate. I was just thinner, and thinner is better, right?

To me the best you can do as she gains weight is to not say anything about it. Period. Make sure that there is always plenty of good, nutritious food around. Meat and cheese platters. Bean dip and hummus. Bread. If she is truly trying to recover, these foods will help. Any comments on her weight no matter how well-intentioned, will just make her feel self-conscious about it.

CJ and Claire- Thank you for your kind words.Claire- I do try to keep all her favs around and she has conciously made an effort to eat- I NEVER ask her anymore if she has eaten but, I will ask her if there is anything imparticular she would like me to get when I go grocery shopping or even for a dinner idea and she seems to like this.I can't say that we still don't feel like we're walking on eggshells but, it does feel like we've been given a couple of layers of thin padding underneath!!!Thanks again. Love and energy, Vicki

Barbara, Alix and Vicki,
Congrats to you all! Barbara: Things come and go in a marriage but what matters is that true love stays forever. Alix: Great job on your daughter's grades. She gets it from you. Vicki: I feel for people with this condition but thankfully she had you to support her. Congratulations and best wishes to you and your girl to a healthier future.

Thanks Dina!

Today I am celebrating nothing in particular. Its just a beautiful day and my family is well and healthy.

A week ago yesterday morning our outside kitty, Chiefy, had a litter of kittens in a huge growth of ivy near the front porch. I counted 5 and I think she'd already moved 1 to a safe place near the woodpile by the kitchen.

I came out on the porch yesterday morning to feed the outside "children" and glanced over at a cardboard box I'd left there Saturday night. Tucker and Thelma had claimed it after I'd emptied it and I didn't have the heart to shoo them out.

When I looked in the box, I expected it to be empty because Tucker and Thelma were busily eating their breakfast. Instead, there were 5 sweet little kittens sleeping in a cozy pile.

There are 3 calico ones and two orange tabbies. So cute. Buck and I love kittens. There's nothing like watching them nurse with their nice mommy and, I can't wait, playing with anything on the porch.

I love new life and the hope it brings. Chiefy is a beautiful cat and, soon, her babies will be able to see how lovely she is. They're beginning to open their eyes. Let the games begin!!:):)

Congratulations on the little kitty family Katie! I love kittens (and cats, and puppies, and dogs, and bunnies, and.... well if it is furry or alive I love it). I love listening to the mama cat purring as the babies nurse, and later as the babies learn to purr, listening to their tiny little motors running!

WooHoo on the family's health Alix! We both had check-ups today. For the second time in a row she said everything on James's blood work was perfect! Yay! My cholesterol was high and she started me on Lipitor, but I'm no longer anemic and she said my blood glucose is doing great.

:) Barbara

I had a few terrible moments of panic when a timetable I'd been working on to organize scorekeepers for roughly 60+ ball games went missing and I thought I would have to recreate it all from memory. I FOUND IT AND ITS ALL OK!!!! Holy celebration time for me!

lots to celebrate today..First I got to have breakfast with DH and our oldest son this morning..It felt so good just to see and chat with him..Something we now are able to do every tuesday..Pa knew the girls and all the kids were coming for lunch so before he left for work, he put up the 11 foot high water slide we picked up for the kids..Everyone had a nice lunch, we played a bit and then we had a snow cone party...then back to the slide..If you wanted a site, you needed to see Olivia and Carson both nakid as j-birds climbing that great big slide then coming down head first:LOL: Cade who feels he is to old to hob nob with the little ones rode a float with a motor in the big pool and Ethan went between pool and slide the best of both worlds for him.So, Ma is celebrating a day of laughs, kisses,blue,red and purple tongues and sticky hands and faces. Ahhh, life is sweet...:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Oh kadesma, that just sounds like heaven. I'm glad there were so many smiles and sticky kisses for you. No one deserves them more.

What a wonderful day kadesma! I'm glad your family is so nearby so that you can enjoy many good days like that!

:) Barbara

Alix said:
Oh kadesma, that just sounds like heaven. I'm glad there were so many smiles and sticky kisses for you. No one deserves them more.
Thanks Alix, it was so much fun.. Just think you have all this to look forward to one of these days..

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom