Celebrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loprraine - I just read this wonderful news! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. I think small intimate weddings are lovely. (Did ya'll happen to take a picture or 2?) Oh, and where will ya'll end up living?

Thanks for the advice and good wishes on my new role as MIL. Angel and I haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but I definitely want them to have a very long and very happy marriage. She did tell me she wants me to make her wedding dress, which I am thrilled to do, and we are going to hit the fabric shops next week looking for the perfect fabric.

ah, that's a tribute to your sewing skills, FM,........my daughter had her grandmother make her dress and it was absolutely beautiful........there's nothing that Grandma Jenny can't sew up.......she can also quilt, too and embroider....such talent..............

She did tell me she wants me to make her wedding dress, which I am thrilled to do, and we are going to hit the fabric shops next week looking for the perfect fabric.

What a treat, Terry! For many years I designed and made wedding gowns. It was always such a joy to send a bride along with her beautiful gown. I haven't made one in a long time and would love to accompany you on your visits to the fabric shops. That part was always so much fun. Enjoy!

Oh gosh, that would be so much fun if you could shop with us, Katie! Wouldn't we have a blast? I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go to a big fabric store!

It really is a treat for me. I love making wedding dresses and baby clothes and prom dresses - all the happy occasions. But wedding dresses are especially delicious to sew because that really is the only time I get to sew with all those sumptuous silks and laces and velvets and organzas. I just finished making a wedding gown and bridesmaid and flower girl dresses for a good friend's daughter so I'm primed for this.

The end to our car nightmare is (almost) over!!!!! We are just waiting for the finance department to give the final okay (their H/O closed 5 minutes before they tried to submit our application, so we have to wait until Monday. But I feel at peace with whatever happens. There shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to jinx it by saying it is a done deal. I even drove four blocks with my bad leg. It is high enough, and roomy enough (a Mazda 5). This is cause for celebration.....as long as it doesn't involve money because now we have a car loan! :LOL:

It really is a treat for me. I love making wedding dresses and baby clothes and prom dresses - all the happy occasions. But wedding dresses are especially delicious to sew because that really is the only time I get to sew with all those sumptuous silks and laces and velvets and organzas. I just finished making a wedding gown and bridesmaid and flower girl dresses for a good friend's daughter so I'm primed for this.

I am so happy for you Terry!!! I wish I could sew again but if I get my quilt finished I will be happy. When DH and I were going to have a wedding (instead we eloped), I was going to sew my own dress. It was going to be a very very pale mauve and white and required combining 3 patterns!!!

Oh gosh, that would be so much fun if you could shop with us, Katie! Wouldn't we have a blast? I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go to a big fabric store!

Shopping for wonderful fabrics is so much fun. When Buck and I lived in suburban Washington, DC, I loved going to G Street Fabrics. They had fabrics from all over the world and shopping for wedding gown fabric was like a dream. Some of the fabrics were about $400/yard. Yes, I said $400 per yard, but they were exquisite silks hand embroidered and encrusted with pearls and crystals. So beautiful, they were beyond description.

I really had to cut carefully when I was working with such costly fabric.

Shopping for wonderful fabrics is so much fun. When Buck and I lived in suburban Washington, DC, I loved going to G Street Fabrics. They had fabrics from all over the world and shopping for wedding gown fabric was like a dream. Some of the fabrics were about $400/yard. Yes, I said $400 per yard, but they were exquisite silks hand embroidered and encrusted with pearls and crystals. So beautiful, they were beyond description.

I really had to cut carefully when I was working with such costly fabric.

I know what you mean, Katie. One time I was making a friend's grad dress. The dress itself was a black jacquard satin which was expensive enough, but the little jacket/shall was out of a black jacquard lace material which cost $150.00 and the edging cost another $100.00 (this was back in 1977). I sewed it with tissue paper and a ballpoint sewing machine needle and prayed on every stitch that it wouldn't catch and that I wouldn't make a mistake! She looked absolutely stunning when it was all done and I have to admit I loved the challenge.

Last edited:
The end to our car nightmare is (almost) over!!!!! We are just waiting for the finance department to give the final okay (their H/O closed 5 minutes before they tried to submit our application, so we have to wait until Monday. But I feel at peace with whatever happens. There shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to jinx it by saying it is a done deal. I even drove four blocks with my bad leg. It is high enough, and roomy enough (a Mazda 5). This is cause for celebration.....as long as it doesn't involve money because now we have a car loan! :LOL:

Your getting a mazda 5? Changed your mind about a van?

Well, the 5 is classified as a "microvan", can seat six fairly comfortly and the seats fold up to give a lot of cargo space. It gets far better gas mileage than the average van and we are getting a really good deal on it. Oh, and the best thing is I can actually get in and out easier than a van and it will be as good as a van for me for long distance comfort.

Last edited:
Well, the 5 is classified as a "microvan", can seat six fairly comfortly and the seats fold up to give a lot of cargo space. It gets far better gas mileage than the average van and we are getting a really good deal on it. Oh, and the best thing is I can actually get in and out easier than a van and it will be as good as a van for me for long distance comfort.

Well good. As long as your able to get in and out and be comfortable, that's all that matters.

Wowee we have a big celebration - at least it is to us. We had school prize giving tonight and my eldest son - who has had a lot of problems in his schooling (he is on the edge of the autistic spectrum) and really has difficulty relating to others of his age. There have been a lot of issues this year - especially him losing his temper over a comment and hurting someone.

Well tonight he got the middle school head teachers award for progress. The citatation included the improvement in his self control. This was so exciting (tear making) especially as about six weeks ago , we had a letter saying he could face suspension or exclusion.

Join with me in three cheers and a great round of applause for him.

sounds like a nice school...........miniman.................glad he's going there.......congrats on his awards................we just take each step forward.............and keep on moving..................

He SHOULD be proud of himself. This also may show him that doing good, means that good things happen, instead of the bad. I have a nephew that is autistic. As with your son probably is, it is not in your face noticable at all. It's when you talk to them and see that they are a little slow, and get angry easily. A lot of people sees these kids as brats and not disiplined and that is so wrong! They just have a hard time adjusting to situations like unchallenged kids do because they don't understand.
Good for your boy miniman! You should be proud and brag! Congratulations!!!

Yay mini-miniman!!!!!!
Sounds like he's really getting some good help where he needs. Congrats to his school too for recognizing a special situation and dealing with it appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom