"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #61
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
My son has finally decided on a science fair project!! He's going to see what toothpaste protects teeth from acid the best. We have brushed eggs with several diffrent brands of toothpaste & submerged them in vinegar. It shold be interestng to see what happens.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Awesome Crewsk - make sure you post the results!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #63
Master Chef

I will Michelle! It took him about a month to finally decide on what to do.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #64
Traveling Welcome Wagon

What a neat science experiment Crewsk! You will definitely have to let us know how it turns out. My daughter won first place for the lower grade levels at her Science Fair when she was in 2nd grade, for a fabric fading experiment.

I have 2 celebrations to mention. I had not heard from my daughter in awhile (her husband left her on Mother's Day and she became a little withdrawn) but has called a few times the last couple months. We usually can't talk long because she is on her way somewhere when she calls, but a couple nights ago she called and we were able to talk for 2 hours, which was great.

The other thing is financial. We were a little worried because our bank account was hurting really badly and the house payment is due. Well, about a year ago James got a letter saying that some people had filed a class-action lawsuit against an insurance company he used to have insurance with years ago (apparently they overcharged some people). They said that if he wanted to participate, all he had to do was sign this form and give his name, address, and SSN. We sent it off and didn't give it much thought afterwards. Two days ago I checked the mail and there was a check for almost $573!! Now we can make our house payment without worrying about it!

Barbara
Old 12-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #65
Executive Chef

We helped collect some toys with my husband's fire dept yesterday for Toys for Tots. I took Aidan into Target when we first got there. He picked out this cool robot dinosaur. He liked it sooo much but never asked to keep it. We got outside and he marched up and perched it on the back of the fire engine. The first toy of the day.

We left for a couple hours to come back to 5 overflowing shopping carts full of toys, toys all over the fire engine, toys lined up on the ground and a shiny new bike! I got tears in my eyes when I saw people's generosity. Even typing this up, my eyes are watering. The fire dept will be there today and tomorrow too. It'll be a very Merry Christmas for these children.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
We helped collect some toys with my husband's fire dept yesterday for Toys for Tots. I took Aidan into Target when we first got there. He picked out this cool robot dinosaur. He liked it sooo much but never asked to keep it. We got outside and he marched up and perched it on the back of the fire engine. The first toy of the day.

We left for a couple hours to come back to 5 overflowing shopping carts full of toys, toys all over the fire engine, toys lined up on the ground and a shiny new bike! I got tears in my eyes when I saw people's generosity. Even typing this up, my eyes are watering. The fire dept will be there today and tomorrow too. It'll be a very Merry Christmas for these children.
I'm so proud of Aidan!! It takes a special heart for a young child to give something, that they would love to have, without a thought. It says a lot about his parents too!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #67
Senior Cook

This is such a nice thread. So many things to be thankful for. Here in Michigan our economy has been very rough and lots of folks w/o or soon to be w/o jobs. I'm very thankful that we still have jobs to go to everyday.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #68
Master Chef

I have 2 things to celebrate, one is actually worth celebrating over & the other is something small that just made me happy.

#1- My church always puts up a Helping Hands Christmas tree with gift tags for 2 needy families, the church members select a tag & buy the gift listed. For the past 2 years, I have been teaching our 4 & 5 year old Sunday School class & we have gotten a tag from the tree. Last year we took up money to buy a teenage boy a personal CD player, this year I decided to try smething a little diffrent. There are always 2 tags to do food boxes for the moms, so I chose one of those. I sent letters home with each child in the class asking them to bring in 2 or 3 boxed or canned food items. The food was brought in yesterday & we collected almost 30 cans & boxes of food for this mother!! I was so excited & proud of my little class!! We only have 3 children & 2 teachers, everyone was so generous!!

#2- There is a business that I pass nearly every day & they have 2 rhinos in front of the building, a mama & a baby. Now, these are 2 full sized, probably plastic, replicas. A few months ago, we noticed that the baby was missing & we were told that it was stolen. After Thanksgiving, the business always puts Santa hats on the rhinos, this year was no diffrent, mama had on a hat & beside her was a sign that read "All I want for Christmas is my baby back" with the baby's hat hanging on the corner. Thursday night on our way to Savannah's basketball practice, TC started bouncing in the back seat & yelling "the baby's back!!" I looked over & there was the baby, proudly wearing its Santa hat!! In front of it there was a sighn that read "Christmas is merry again, I have my baby back". It made me so happy that I almost cried!!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #69
Everymom

OK, I'd like to celebrate my youngest daughters Christmas pageant. She sang like an angel and danced beautifully. I just wish she'd been on more! LOL.

I also have a teeny little celebration. Ken insisted I look like I lost weight (I haven't been trying, never do. Just don't care about that much) so I tried on an old pair of jeans that I couldn't bear to throw away because I loved them so much. They FIT!! WOOHOO!!! I get to wear my favorite jeans again. At least til after Christmas dinner...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #70
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Alix, congrats! That is something to celebrate!