"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #751
Everymom

I think you just ensured that he will remember the sweet things and not the frustrations. Funerals are never easy. I'm glad you're on the other side of this one and that you have sweetness to remember.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #752
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
getout, I hope I don't sound like a horrible cliche, but to me it's so comforting to know thiose we love are hopefully back with the ones they have missed.
Our family is nearing the 5th anniv. of my husbands' sisters' death.... his Dad and Gramma passed away 5 months before that....
My SIL was one of my best friends in the world, and the only comfort I can find is that she got to be back with her beloved Dad...
I just wish it hadn't been so quickly.....
sorry. this is supposed to be celebrations.......
I don't mean to bring everyone down....
:)
No reason to apoligize, I agree. I truly believe that when someone leaves this earth they are greeted by those they loved and lost before them. My MIL had a horrible quality of life in the end. They removed her feeding tube and said she'll probably pass away in about 2 weeks. It took 34 days. It was agonizing watching her just lay ther and waste away so slowly. I miss her, but man I'm sure she's celebrating with her DH right now.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #753
Certified Cake Maniac

I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming and you are celebrating a life that was and is now with loved ones on high. I lost my mother to cancer almost 14 years ago and on thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that we will be together again.

So here's to Stella, may she be happily celebrating a reunion somewhere above.

I love the image of the two of you walking away with smiles on your faces. That is a good way for your son to remember her.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #754
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming and you are celebrating a life that was and is now with loved ones on high. I lost my mother to cancer almost 14 years ago and on thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that we will be together again.

So here's to Stella, may she be happily celebrating a reunion somewhere above.

I love the image of the two of you walking away with smiles on your faces. That is a good way for your son to remember her.
don't you dare belittle your accomplishment lady!! What you are doing is something half of us could only hope we would have the guts to do.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #755
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming.
And you have every right to celebrate. That's what this thread is for CELEBRATIONS. I can totally relate to the feeling you had while in the swimming pool. I live with arthritis pain every day. I have 5 or 6 bulging discs between my back and neck (never fall down stairs, it's not worth the joy ride), a few are herniating. And the doctor won't do anything, suggest a chiroprator. They say I have 12-15 years before it's bad enough to do surgery. My insurance won't cover enough for me to afford it. I have an above ground pool, not huge only a 24' wide one, but this whole summer I was in it at least 5-6 days a week and because of the way the water makes you so bouyant I could exercise for over an hour. My son loved it when I would get in there and just walk as fast as I could for an hour. He would just float along enjoying the whirlpool effect I was making. Now the water has gotten to cold due to it getting down into the 40's and 50's here at night and I had to cover it up until later this spring. I miss it and there's nothing around here I can use until then. We live on 5 acres and I walk it, but I can only last about 15-20 minutes until my back gives out.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #756
Everymom

getoutamykitchen, I have a friend who has developed a program to help and almost cure bulging disc pain without surgery. (He is a cop so rigorous exercise is part of his daily life) Its pretty intense but he is nearly completely recovered. He could hardly stand or walk when he started and he's back at work now. Let me know via PM if you want me to put you in touch with him. I gather his regime is groundbreaking.

Laurie, cause for celebration indeed! I'm sorry I missed your earlier post. YAY!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #757
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks GO and Alix, I am a little sore and tired today, but still celebrating the fact I have found something that works!

GO I am glad the pool helps you in the summer and which there was something you could do the rest of the year. I know what you mean about walking on land that tires you out. I look forward to the day when we are celebrating here for you that you are becoming pain free as well!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #758
Master Chef

Thumbs up My brother just accepted a new job!!

My brother just accepted a job as an Engine Captain on a wildland firefighting engine. He will be working on a different national forest. He and I have been working for the same national forest since 1988. He started working for the Forest Service right out of high school on my recommendation. I am so proud of him and how far he has advanced in his career.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #759
Chef Extraordinaire

congrats to your bro, sc!
will he let you ride along and ring the bell?
you still have the coolest job, imo. well, maybe not coolest with the fires and all, but you know what i mean.

saturday is my brother's 60th birthday. most of my family is going to my eldest sister's house for a party. i'm still stuck on what to get him. my wife can get 2 tickets for a hockey game ($60 a piece), or i was thinking of getting him 60 scratch off lottery tickets. the latter should keep the whipper snapper busy for a while and out of trouble, ya know?

if i had time, i was going to make him an old fogies hockey stick since he still plays in senior leagues. sort of like those canes you see as gag gifts, with a horn, reading light and magnifying glass, and "old fogey on board" sign attached.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #760
Master Chef

[quote=getoutamykitchen;723499]And you have every right to celebrate. That's what this thread is for CELEBRATIONS. I can totally relate to the feeling you had while in the swimming pool. I live with arthritis pain every day. I have 5 or 6 bulging discs between my back and neck (never fall down stairs, it's not worth the joy ride), a few are herniating. And the doctor won't do anything, suggest a chiroprator. They say I have 12-15 years before it's bad enough to do surgery. My insurance won't cover enough for me to afford it. I have an above ground pool, not huge only a 24' wide one, but this whole summer I was in it at least 5-6 days a week and because of the way the water makes you so bouyant I could exercise for over an hour. My son loved it when I would get in there and just walk as fast as I could for an hour. He would just float along enjoying the whirlpool effect I was making. Now the water has gotten to cold due to it getting down into the 40's and 50's here at night and I had to cover it up until later this spring. I miss it and there's nothing around here I can use until then. We live on 5 acres and I walk it, but I can only last about 15-20 minutes until my back gives out.[/quote

can you afford to put in a whirlpool?? it doesn't have to be major $$$ and you could probably go online and find a good buy if finances are straightened for you now and who isn't these days............winter can be interminable............I'm sorry for your pain........I just took the quarter of my big toe off tonight by hitting the sidewalk that was slightly raised....... and it's throbbing ....and I hit a chair several hours later......same toe by the way........... both accidents were caused by walking in the dark... not happening again..........so I can just barely imagine what you're going thru with around the clock pain.........