"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #761
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm so proud of Cubbie! I took him to "doggie school" over a year ago, and he did really well, but due to a lot of things, I have not worked with him as much as I should have. He always sits when told, and he does "down," and he does well with "leave it," but it is usually with something non-edible. Tonight I had a chicken nugget for him, and he knew it. When he wasn't looking, I set the chicken nugget in my seat and walked away. When he went near it, I said, "Leave it." He walked away. About 30 seconds later he went over to it again. He leaned in and actually was touching it with his mouth when I again said, "Leave it." As much as he loves chicken nuggets he walked away! In fact, when I told him, "Take it," he wouldn't until I picked it up and handed it to him. I know that if I had walked into the other room the temptation would have become too much for him, but I was proud of him for resisting one of his favorite treats just because I told him to.

Barbara

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #762
Master Chef

YAY CUBBIE!! Just like seeing your human kids do things for the first time too!!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #763
Certified Cake Maniac

Well, while many of you were celebrating Thanksgiving yesterday, I had much to be thankful for and celebrate as well.

I can now extend my leg to 6 degrees from being perfectly straight (3 degrees better than Tuesday and best since my second surgery) AND my physiotherapist is discharging me from the rehab program as of Tuesday!!! I still have work to do, but she figures I can do it at home and at the pool. She said she is very proud of my perseverance through this.

But the icing on the cake is that I only have to use my cane at my own discretion (long walks, Costco, etc.) This is so big for me because I have been on it for three years now and didn't figure before the surgery I would ever be able to go without it.

Thanks EVERYONE for your support, patience, prayers and love. I honestly couldn't have done it without you!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #764
Master Chef

YAY LAURIE!!!!!! Good for you!! I knew you would do it! You are too strong to lay down!! WOOHOO!!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #765
Chef Extraordinaire

Laurie,
i'm so very happy for you...You've worked long and hard and put up with so much to get to this point...This is just wonderful sweetie...Keep working on it and prayers and good thoughts come your way.
kades
Old 11-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #766
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks Texas and Kades, I am really starting to feel I can live a "normal" life....whatever normal is. LOL!!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #767
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Great news Laurie!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #768
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, yesterday I wrote in the venting thread that I was looking forward to getting out of that thread and posting here. Well I have so much to celebrate just in the last 24 hours that I will do it in point form.

- I stood up to our contractors, site managers, insurance agent and restoration company and things are finally starting to happen in our townhouse!
- I went to see my surgeon and found out that I don't have to have a wicked straightening procedure done on my leg and that he is really happy with my progress
- Though my leg is not 100 percent straight I start pool therapy tomorrow and that should bring me close.
- I can start driving any time. I haven't driven for over a year and have not been able to try out our new car we got in July!
- I don't have to see the surgeon for another year.
- The knee replacement I had done seems to have helped other problems and I won't have to have my left knee and hip done for a long time....if ever.
- DH got a huge Christmas bonus after working only 3 weeks so far at his new job.
- I am back in cooking and baking mode and made some fancy cookies for an event last night
- DH just called to say he passed his commercial driver's license, one of the last qualifications for his new job!
- I talked to my Dad last night and he told me how proud he was of both DH and I with all we have been through. He has only told me he was proud of me one other time in my 50 years and it was the day I graduated culinary school.

So, I am walking on sunshine, dancing up a storm and smiling from ear to ear! I ALMOST don't care if it does snow here.....almost but now quite!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #769
Sous Chef

I'm celebrating with you Laurie....what a terrific day!! Its a festivus MIRACLE!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #770
Chef Extraordinaire

At Last my dear friend at Last

kades