Celebrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babe and Fisher's Mom, thanks for the "medals of bravery" but when I wake up in the night crying because of pain I really don't feel that brave. But it really helps knowing I have people all over who are cheering me on and care. And I just had 3 full nights sleep so hopefully I am on my way to being healed!

Babe and Fisher's Mom, thanks for the "medals of bravery" but when I wake up in the night crying because of pain I really don't feel that brave. But it really helps knowing I have people all over who are cheering me on and care. And I just had 3 full nights sleep so hopefully I am on my way to being healed!
Laurie,
more and more pain free nights are on the way..Just keep working and you will beat this soon. You should really be proud of yourself..I'm still trying to work up the courage to use the treadmill. I hate exercise and I know I need it, but I find an excuse everyday..the only days i work out is when I'm alone here then I can bawl as I walk without someone telling me be strong, be this, be that, I'm so tired of it I could just scream.
but, I'll keep on trying...
kades

Kadesma is right Laurie, you are on the way to pain-free nights. I'm thankful that things are beginning to turn around for you, and I will continue to pray for you. I know what you mean about not feeling brave when in the grips of pain. Hopefully very soon the pain will just be a faint memory.
Laurie,
more and more pain free nights are on the way..Just keep working and you will beat this soon. You should really be proud of yourself..I'm still trying to work up the courage to use the treadmill. I hate exercise and I know I need it, but I find an excuse everyday..the only days i work out is when I'm alone here then I can bawl as I walk without someone telling me be strong, be this, be that, I'm so tired of it I could just scream.
but, I'll keep on trying...
kades
Oh cj, I wish I could take away your pain (and Laurie's and anyone else here in pain). I do pray for you.

I need to exercise too, for fat reduction and muscle toning (but it should also help with some of the aches and pains I have been having). Unfortunately my exercise trend for the past year or so is to only exercise on days that don't end in "y." Once I'm doing it, I actually enjoy it, so I don't know why I don't just get started.

Anyway, this is the celebration thread, so I want to again say that I'm glad that Laurie is slowly but surely getting better!

:)Barbara

I just spent an hour and a half at the pool and feel so free and exhilarated! I was able to do my exercises with ease and the pool we went to has a warmed 4 ft deep pool that is accessible by ramp and while half of it is for kids, the other half is divided into 5 lanes - three for laps and the other two for anyone to use. I went into one and practiced walking...is was so much easier in the water...and my balancing and stretches. We then went into the hot tub and steam room.

This has done so much to boost my morale, and I know it is something I can do on a regular basis that will help my progress. Today is a wonderful day!!!!!

Attachments

• swimmer.jpg
    swimmer.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 49
Laurie, I am so proud of how fast you are coming back!! You are doing great! I love to swim! Takes all the strain off of your bones to allow you to exercise.

I would like to celebrate my MIL. She passed away on Nov. 3rd. and yesterday we had her funeral. It finally brings a close to her passing and now she is no longer suffering with Dementia. She's with her loving husband whom she hasn't seen in over 20 years and not to mention all her other wonderful friends and family members who passed before her.
Here's to you Stella, I thank you for giving me a wonderful husband.

You brought a huge lump to my throat. What a lovely celebration to share. Heres to Stella, among the stars she is named for!

getout, I hope I don't sound like a horrible cliche, but to me it's so comforting to know thiose we love are hopefully back with the ones they have missed.
Our family is nearing the 5th anniv. of my husbands' sisters' death.... his Dad and Gramma passed away 5 months before that....
My SIL was one of my best friends in the world, and the only comfort I can find is that she got to be back with her beloved Dad...
I just wish it hadn't been so quickly.....
sorry. this is supposed to be celebrations.......
I don't mean to bring everyone down....
:)

You brought a huge lump to my throat. What a lovely celebration to share. Heres to Stella, among the stars she is named for!

Thank you Alix,
I wasn't sure how my son was going to handle the funeral, the last one he went to he was to young to know what was going on. He'll be 12 on the 18th of this month. It was an open casket funeral and I took him in and asked him if he'd like to see his Me Ma and say good bye, he said yes.
Now the last several years we've had a little inside joke with her. We were watching animal planet about 4 years ago and the segment was about Ring Tailed Lemars. Every time one was shown on the TV she would ask, "Oh, what is that?" Her short term memory was real bad by then. I was sitting in the next room and for the whole hour I heard my son yelling, "It's a Ring Tailed Lemar." Each time I could hear the frustration in his voice. When we got up to her casket he was real quiet. I gave him a few moments to take it all in and just before we walked away I leaned in a little bit and said, "Hey Me Ma, it's a Ring Tailed Lemar." We both walked out and everyone was wondering why we had such big smiles on our faces. I just whispered in his ear, "I bet those old church ladies are wondering what's up."

I think you just ensured that he will remember the sweet things and not the frustrations. Funerals are never easy. I'm glad you're on the other side of this one and that you have sweetness to remember.

getout, I hope I don't sound like a horrible cliche, but to me it's so comforting to know thiose we love are hopefully back with the ones they have missed.
Our family is nearing the 5th anniv. of my husbands' sisters' death.... his Dad and Gramma passed away 5 months before that....
My SIL was one of my best friends in the world, and the only comfort I can find is that she got to be back with her beloved Dad...
I just wish it hadn't been so quickly.....
sorry. this is supposed to be celebrations.......
I don't mean to bring everyone down....
:)

No reason to apoligize, I agree. I truly believe that when someone leaves this earth they are greeted by those they loved and lost before them. My MIL had a horrible quality of life in the end. They removed her feeding tube and said she'll probably pass away in about 2 weeks. It took 34 days. It was agonizing watching her just lay ther and waste away so slowly. I miss her, but man I'm sure she's celebrating with her DH right now.

I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming and you are celebrating a life that was and is now with loved ones on high. I lost my mother to cancer almost 14 years ago and on thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that we will be together again.

So here's to Stella, may she be happily celebrating a reunion somewhere above.

I love the image of the two of you walking away with smiles on your faces. That is a good way for your son to remember her.

I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming and you are celebrating a life that was and is now with loved ones on high. I lost my mother to cancer almost 14 years ago and on thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that we will be together again.

So here's to Stella, may she be happily celebrating a reunion somewhere above.

I love the image of the two of you walking away with smiles on your faces. That is a good way for your son to remember her.

don't you dare belittle your accomplishment lady!! What you are doing is something half of us could only hope we would have the guts to do.

I too was moved by your post, getoutamykitchen. Here I am celebrating that I got to go swimming.

And you have every right to celebrate. That's what this thread is for CELEBRATIONS. I can totally relate to the feeling you had while in the swimming pool. I live with arthritis pain every day. I have 5 or 6 bulging discs between my back and neck (never fall down stairs, it's not worth the joy ride), a few are herniating. And the doctor won't do anything, suggest a chiroprator. They say I have 12-15 years before it's bad enough to do surgery. My insurance won't cover enough for me to afford it. I have an above ground pool, not huge only a 24' wide one, but this whole summer I was in it at least 5-6 days a week and because of the way the water makes you so bouyant I could exercise for over an hour. My son loved it when I would get in there and just walk as fast as I could for an hour. He would just float along enjoying the whirlpool effect I was making. Now the water has gotten to cold due to it getting down into the 40's and 50's here at night and I had to cover it up until later this spring. I miss it and there's nothing around here I can use until then. We live on 5 acres and I walk it, but I can only last about 15-20 minutes until my back gives out.

Last edited by a moderator:
getoutamykitchen, I have a friend who has developed a program to help and almost cure bulging disc pain without surgery. (He is a cop so rigorous exercise is part of his daily life) Its pretty intense but he is nearly completely recovered. He could hardly stand or walk when he started and he's back at work now. Let me know via PM if you want me to put you in touch with him. I gather his regime is groundbreaking.

Laurie, cause for celebration indeed! I'm sorry I missed your earlier post. YAY!!!

Thanks GO and Alix, I am a little sore and tired today, but still celebrating the fact I have found something that works!

GO I am glad the pool helps you in the summer and which there was something you could do the rest of the year. I know what you mean about walking on land that tires you out. I look forward to the day when we are celebrating here for you that you are becoming pain free as well!

My brother just accepted a new job!!

My brother just accepted a job as an Engine Captain on a wildland firefighting engine. He will be working on a different national forest. He and I have been working for the same national forest since 1988. He started working for the Forest Service right out of high school on my recommendation. I am so proud of him and how far he has advanced in his career.

congrats to your bro, sc!
will he let you ride along and ring the bell? :)
you still have the coolest job, imo. well, maybe not coolest with the fires and all, but you know what i mean.

saturday is my brother's 60th birthday. most of my family is going to my eldest sister's house for a party. i'm still stuck on what to get him. my wife can get 2 tickets for a hockey game ($60 a piece), or i was thinking of getting him 60 scratch off lottery tickets. the latter should keep the whipper snapper busy for a while and out of trouble, ya know?

if i had time, i was going to make him an old fogies hockey stick since he still plays in senior leagues. sort of like those canes you see as gag gifts, with a horn, reading light and magnifying glass, and "old fogey on board" sign attached.

And you have every right to celebrate. That's what this thread is for CELEBRATIONS. I can totally relate to the feeling you had while in the swimming pool. I live with arthritis pain every day. I have 5 or 6 bulging discs between my back and neck (never fall down stairs, it's not worth the joy ride), a few are herniating. And the doctor won't do anything, suggest a chiroprator. They say I have 12-15 years before it's bad enough to do surgery. My insurance won't cover enough for me to afford it. I have an above ground pool, not huge only a 24' wide one, but this whole summer I was in it at least 5-6 days a week and because of the way the water makes you so bouyant I could exercise for over an hour. My son loved it when I would get in there and just walk as fast as I could for an hour. He would just float along enjoying the whirlpool effect I was making. Now the water has gotten to cold due to it getting down into the 40's and 50's here at night and I had to cover it up until later this spring. I miss it and there's nothing around here I can use until then. We live on 5 acres and I walk it, but I can only last about 15-20 minutes until my back gives out.[/quote

can you afford to put in a whirlpool?? it doesn't have to be major $$$ and you could probably go online and find a good buy if finances are straightened for you now and who isn't these days............winter can be interminable............I'm sorry for your pain........I just took the quarter of my big toe off tonight by hitting the sidewalk that was slightly raised....... and it's throbbing ....and I hit a chair several hours later......same toe by the way........... both accidents were caused by walking in the dark... not happening again..........so I can just barely imagine what you're going thru with around the clock pain.........

Back
Top Bottom