"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Master Chef

Celebrity Deaths.

I was just listening to a radio program and they asked the question, "what celebrity death affected you and sadden you the most, and why. Some of the callers said; John Ritter, John Denver, John F. Kennedy Jr. Phil Hartman. With me it was Bob Hope, he was a legend, a wonderful man.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I was just listening to a radio program and they asked the question, "what celebrity death affected you and sadden you the most, and why. Some of the callers said; John Ritter, John Denver, John F. Kennedy Jr. Phil Hartman. With me it was Bob Hope, he was a legend, a wonderful man.
Having worked in the entertainment industry for many years, this is a difficult topic for me. I have always been quiet when the topic comes up for many reasons. First, guess I can't understand all the media hype, speculation & adoring fans that internalize grief of someone unknown personally to them. There are several people I worked with & knew personally that are now gone. Those are the passings that affect me the most. There are great talents that are gone that will be missed throughout the world i.e. Pavoratti (sp) etc., but the "reality" for me, are those lost that I knew & worked with. What one sees on the 'screen' is not what or who the person really is.

There are deaths that I can't bring myself to mention, nor would it mean anything to anyone but myself. A death that brought shockwaves through our industry was Vic Morrow. Re the Kennedy's, one cannot help being torn up over all that family has gone through... not because they are celebrities. Too difficult to see & try to make sense of the generations of losses there; or any time a parent survives their child.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Having worked in the entertainment industry for many years, this is a difficult topic for me. I have always been quiet when the topic comes up for many reasons. First, guess I can't understand all the media hype, speculation & adoring fans that internalize grief of someone unknown personally to them. There are several people I worked with & knew personally that are now gone. Those are the passings that affect me the most. There are great talents that are gone that will be missed throughout the world i.e. Pavoratti (sp) etc., but the "reality" for me, are those lost that I knew & worked with. What one sees on the 'screen' is not what or who the person really is.

There are deaths that I can't bring myself to mention, nor would it mean anything to anyone but myself. A death that brought shockwaves through our industry was Vic Morrow. Re the Kennedy's, one cannot help being torn up over all that family has gone through... not because they are celebrities. Too difficult to see & try to make sense of the generations of losses there; or any time a parent survives their child.
Amy, it was just an innocent question about their favorite celerity. How they felt about them. Of course we don't know the real person, but we enjoyed their work.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

Ouch, Amy.
We, as fans, mourn the person we see because, not only are we losing an actor/actress that we have come to admire, not for the person they pretend to be, but, for the things they do away from the films, like the charitable things many of them do. Bob Hope for one, good actor, good comedian, but, will always be remembered instead for going over in Vietnam to bring any joy he possibly could to those troops when everyone else here shunned them. He loved doing it too. There are so many that give of themselves like this. There are so many that are gone for senseless reasons, drugs, drinking, etc, but, there are those that fight everyday they can against the many diseases we have now and keep going, doing what they love and you can't help but admire anyone, celebrity or not, for fighting everyday to breathe. The ones that are taken from this world for no apparent reason or because they looked at someone wrong. We grieve for them, their families and friends, not just for the person. And of course, the passing of a family member is always going to the ulitmate loss over a celebrity.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'll start:

John Candy. I used to love watching him as I was growing up. He made me laugh.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Michael Landon, John Ritter, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, I'm sure many more I can't think of right now.
Bob Hope was an absolute inspiration to many in Vietnam. My FIL saw him there once and never forgot it. Talked about it til the day he died. I hope they got to shake hands up there!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I think there is nothing prurient in being saddened over the death of people that have been a part of our lives via music or writings or movies or politics, etc. As humans, we are able to empathize, something that distinguishes us from other mammals. The death of a fellow human being touches many of us, whether or not we have ever met them, because we can identify.

Look at Jon Benet Ramsey. The nation mourned her death even though most had never even heard of her before her murder. This ability to care for other humans, those we know and those we don't, is the driving force in so much change for the good.

I don't know anyone personally in Darfur but I am devastated by what is happening to my fellow human beings there. I write my government representatives encouraging them to continue aid. I support charities that give assistance there.

I don't know anyone personally here at DC but I am saddened by their tragedies and obstacles and delight with them in their good fortune.

I think our discussions when a well-known person has died are simply a reflection of our humanity. But I respect those who feel this isn't something they are interested in participating in, too. JMO
Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Bob Hope came to Guam one time - his first words were "Hello all you Guamaniacs"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Mother Theresa.