"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Many years ago, before my husband and I married, we were living in London and went to a wonderful pub in Hampstead. I kept saying to my husband - 'I know that man sitting on the other side of the table'... We got chatting us, two friends and the famous one, his girlfriend and his two friends.... When the famous person heard my accent, he told me that he was Scots too.... 'Get away' I said.... 'With that accent, you must be a cockney'... He got very huffy about it.... it was only when they had been sitting opposite us for about 2 hours that I realised who the 'famous', so-called Scotsman was..... Rod Stewart!!! And I still say he's not Scots - his Dad IS a Glaswegian, but Rod grew up in Es*** and Hertfordshire, I seem to recall!

I know a few singers (who shall remain nameless) and a couple of Scottish comedians. Oh and does it count that I used to see J K Rowling when she sat in her brother in law's restaurant, penning the first HP novel?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Ran into Richard Petty at the Grand Ole Opry Hotel. Ran into Rich (can't remember his last name) the snicklets guy at the airport.

Once gave Finnis Dake (Dake bible) a ride to the airport. Jim & Tammy Bakker. Oral Roberts.

Have met a lot of BBQ celeb's. Smokey Hale, David Klose, Chris Lily, Bif Bob Gibson, Myron Mixon and others.

Met Rick Flair (westler) at a catering function we were doing.

Dale Earnhardt Jr at a BBQ we were doing for his book signing.

There may be others, but all I can think of now.

Hosted and met Dennis Banks (a founder of the American Indian Movement)

Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Willie Dixon, iconic bluesman and songwriter. Quiet and shy.

Various members of the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team in the early 80', to the everlasting jealousy of my brothers. We shared a table at a little jazz club I used to like to go to.

Bud Freeman, famous jazz clarinetist from Chicago, now deceased. He was charming and a great raconteur.

Gloria Steinem. Very skinny, but full of herself.

Handy Husband met Donald Rumsfeld (short, wears boat shoes), John Ashcroft (also short), and Paul Wolfowitz (uninspiring speaker) during the rededication of the Pentagon one year after the 9/11 attack.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Raine - You met Rick Flair, too! My boys were VERY into wrestling when they were younger; and there were a lot of local WWF matches; we had an aisle seat at one of them, and Rick Flair - gasp - kissed my hand as he went by! Little guy, isn't he?

Also was in an elevator with Harrison Ford- hubbie and I were going to the new Dinosaur exhibit at the Museum of Natural HIstory in NY, and we were in the back of a packed elevator; hubby kept poking me in the back; thought he was just messing around, then when we all got off, he whispered 'look in front of you'; almost didn't recognize Ford; T-shirt, unshaven, jeans; was there with his 5 year old son to see the dinosaurs - and they went all around the exhibit with us! And yes, he's just as hunky in person!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Yep, Rick is a really nice guy. My husband has met a few more of the wrestler's when he worked at the tire store. They would all come in there to buy tires, etc. Ricky Steamboat used to come in quite often.

Quite a few folks live around here, wrestlers, NASCAR teams, John Boy & Billy (big Show).
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Oops, forgot another one. Bo Diddley at a club in New Orleans. He hit on my cute kid sister.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
he is fond of strawberry Fribbles (as we all are!).
What are strawberry Fribbles?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Oh, forgot Whoppi, when we were extras for the movie Eddie.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Got to see Jacky Chan film Rush Hour 2 at the Cesar's Palace Imporium's Versachi store.
I met Jackie Chan too! We stood in line for hours to see him and get his autograph in his autobiography. It was pretty exciting stuff. I can't believe I forgot about that!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
Cook

I used to work for a NBC television affiliate and one time I very briefly met Rip Taylor. He did the weather and threw confetti everywhere.