"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
That is all we have used for about 6 years. One thing that a lot of people don't know is, even if you run out of minutes your phone is still good in emergencies. Even without a service or card, any (as far as I know) cell phone can be used to call 911 as long as the batteries are charged. We never knew that until a few months ago.

Barbara
That's true Barbara. It's why there is always a push for people to donate their old but still operational phones and chargers to Battered Women's Shelters and Homeless Shelters. Even when there is no service activated for a phone, it can always call 911. It's also a good idea to keep your old phones that have car chargers in your car. That way, if you forget your phone and have an emergency, you can still dial 911.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
That's true Barbara. It's why there is always a push for people to donate their old but still operational phones and chargers to Battered Women's Shelters and Homeless Shelters. Even when there is no service activated for a phone, it can always call 911. It's also a good idea to keep your old phones that have car chargers in your car. That way, if you forget your phone and have an emergency, you can still dial 911.
I just changed phones this week and my old phone does not call 911.

Neither will the one in my kitchen junk drawer. But you have reminded me that I should donate them.

To the original poster. If you are planning to utilize a prepaid phone soon, it would probably not be a good idea to go to a carrier and get a Sim card. You will have to sign up for service from them and there will likely be a charge for cancelling it before a year has gone by.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I just changed phones this week and my old phone does not call 911.

Neither will the one in my kitchen junk drawer. But you have reminded me that I should donate them.
Mine can't either. I donate my phones to the collections for the service men and women. The carrier will activate the phones so they can be used by the soldiers.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Barb L, I had forgotten about TracPhone . I've seen them at Walmart and can also buy the minutes card there as well. I don't want to be sucked into a service plan , so I guess that is the route I will go. Thanks so much for your help everyone. I will donate the cell phone, great idea!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Barb L, I had forgotten about TracPhone . I've seen them at Walmart and can also buy the minutes card there as well. I don't want to be sucked into a service plan , so I guess that is the route I will go. Thanks so much for your help everyone. I will donate the cell phone, great idea!
I've had several prepaid phones including the trac phone. Just check experation dates of minutes. Can you put money and leave it for a while or does it expire? The plan Barb has may not be available now. Do a lot of research online. Wal-Mart has a lot of the prepaids available.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thanks Callisto, I will be sure to check if there if an expiration date on the minutes. Good tip! Also I will not give out the number on my trac phone to others because as I understand it, if someone were to call me that chews up my minutes. So this phone will only be used by me for urgent calls.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Yeah, Amber, with prepaid phones most of the time you do get charged for all calls, incoming and outgoing. I switched to Verizon before they changed their plans and it's great because I can make and receive calls to Verizon customers even if I'm completely out of minutes.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I've got a Boost Phone, and I've had Tracphones in the past. I spend, on average, $10/month for my phone's airtime. That's one $20 card every other month. No contract, no service plan. The only part that sucks is that the battery is starting to go, and I'll either have to replace it, or get a different phone.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

You may be able to get the battery you need off eBay. My battery was going and the provider told me they were no longer available - I'd have to get a new phone. Dh found one on eBay and I used it for a year and a half, before having to get a new phone for a different reason. The cost of the battery was $5.00 plus 2.50 shipping.