"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
What company are you with? That's all I need.
It is Virgin Mobile. Lifeline Cell Phone Service Provider | Assurance Wireless

If you are on Medicare, receive food stamps, Section 8 housing or other goverment sponsored programs the service is free. I qualify on several points.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I might add that I have never had a called dropped on my end, and it is just a simple phone. There are other things you can add at a cost to you. The sound is very clear. (I have slight hearing loss due to age.) The phone is just the length of my small hand. Never a problem with service.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
Head Chef

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Thank you.
You are most welcome. I hope you qualify on all counts. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I read the papers on my phone. Use it as an alarm clock and calendar. Participate on message boards. Review work documents. Email. Watch Hells Kitchen. Watch David Chang make ramen. Check the weather radar. Videotape my tennis partner. Play scrabble with my sister in Minneapolis. Google everything. Buy stuff on Amazon. Learn Korean. Check maps when I'm lost or when I want to look a location up. Take great pictures. Note names of people I've just met since I'm forgetful. Play Angry Birds. Look up the planets I see in the sky. Listen to music. Listen to the radio. Listen to Logan Airport final approach chatter. Use it to buy lunch without cash. It's my Acela ticket, too.

Pretty remarkable little device.
It's amazing how much I use mine for.

I ordered a 60" TV with mine while I was at work from Amazon...

My car connects to mine via bluetooth as soon as I start the car and automatically fires up Pandora, which can be controlled from the car stereo, so I never have to use the regular radio.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Senior Cook

I love the regular radio, I like hearing the traffic reports, news, talk & the goings on while driving. My husband's car has that paid service in his & he won't ever go back to normal radio again either.

Everytime I use his car he always asks me why I put the regular stations on.

After working 12 hours with a 1 hour drive each way I like to listen to the one AM station in the mornings because it's all news & I like hearing people talk. It helps me stay alert.

For us people who have smart phones and like to exercise there are a lot of free apps for abs, legs, push ups & all that good stuff out there.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like music on my drive to and from work. The 10 minutes that it takes me to get there, with regular radio there isn't a high likelihood that I'll hear a song, just annoying morning shows.

Now I could get into a good talk radio show, but I haven't looked for any. I can just imagine not wanting to get out of my car to go to work because I'd be engrossed in a conversation!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You tube has a lot of helpful video hints. Also I got my phone couple weeks ago,and I've going back to the store I bought it from and bugging them for help. They have been very nice about and helping.
Charlie, if it's a Verizon phone they have classes you can sign up for that are free - or were when we bought 2 years ago. If you have Verizon you might want to ask about that. I personally never used them since I'm married to a tech expert who has the same phone. In-house tech support is pretty hard to beat.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Wine Guy

I have about a 45 minute commute on the days I have to go into the office. I've set up my Bluetooth so it plays audio books or podcasts from my phone through the car stereo.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I've thought about doing iBooks but I was never a reader for the most part so I'm not sure what I would want to hear. I do follow politics but I don't want to hear anything political on my way into work so I won't be in a bad mood.

« Texas | trivia 6/4 »