"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cell Phones?

I admit I'm a dinasour when it comes to certain modern technology i.e. cell phones, ipads etc.

I bought an LG trackphone that has many capabilities, sending pics, etc., but don't know how to use it. Biggest problem is dialing a number that requires pressing several numeric numbers to get connected to my party. The other is, it was advertised as free web browsing. It's not. I noticed minutes were being deducted. I would like your input re best cell phones & prices. I bought it because I wanted to take my food pics and post them here, surf the web, but mostly to easily connect to a number. Also, I've seen members browsing via a mobile device. Please advise me as to what to get that best fits my needs. TIA

Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Did a manual come with your phone? You should have one. I know it is against our nature to read the instructions, but as the saying goes, "if all else fails, read the instructions."

For starters you should be creating a 'contact list' of all the people you call regularly. Then you only have to press one button. Start with writing out a list of all the people you call on a regular basis. Including work. Then you can key all the information into the phone.

For the rest of what you want to know I will let someone else step in and help you.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Wine Guy

I work in a technology related field, but until a couple of years ago was also kind of a dinosaur when it came to cell phones. My wife kept trying to talk me into an iPhone, but being part of the anti-Mac crowd (or maybe pro-PC is a better way to put it), I refused to budge.

Finally, I ended up getting a Motorola Droid X, which is a Google Android phone, and absolutely fell in love with it - to the point where I wondered how I had gotten along for so long without one. I used it for everything - listening to music and audio books, as a phone, for photos, as a GPS, for email, web browsing, etc. Smartphones are real multi-taskers! I now have its successor, the Droid Razr Maxx, which I like because it can go up to two days without recharging.

My provider is Verizon. It works great here in the Twin Cities where I get consistently fast 4G coverage, but is somewhat spotty when we travel to Wisconsin. Coverage varies from region to region, so you may want to stick with what works best locally.

As for the iPhone, it isn't for me, but my wife loves hers. I wouldn't advise anyone against buying one. Again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

The only thing I've not heard good things about are Windows phones. A friend had one for a while, and said it was constantly rebooting itself or locking up.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...The only thing I've not heard good things about are Windows phones. A friend had one for a while, and said it was constantly rebooting itself or locking up.

sort of like the PC operating systems.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
sort of like the PC operating systems.
Pretty much.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have a Tracfone. Very cheap. It does what I need to do, that is outgoing long distance (mostly to my newly widowed and lonely mom). I don't need something to take pictures or connect me to the internet, just for long distance and when I'm traveling (usually to visit Mom). This is cheap and does what I need it to do. I never thought of myself as a technophobe, but am realizing that I am.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Master Chef

I couldn't live without my iPhone

I'm posting with it now! :-)
Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love my iPhone too. I'd gotten my iPad first, so the learning curve wasn't too bad as the devices have similar features.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a Tracfone. Very cheap. It does what I need to do, that is outgoing long distance (mostly to my newly widowed and lonely mom). I don't need something to take pictures or connect me to the internet, just for long distance and when I'm traveling (usually to visit Mom). This is cheap and does what I need it to do. I never thought of myself as a technophobe, but am realizing that I am.
I can relate, Claire. My phone is, perhaps, one step above a Tracfone, which I used to have. All I do is receive and make calls. The phone can take photographs, but I don't know how to do it, even with the instruction book as my guide. No texting, even though the phone has that feature. Glenn's phone is the essentially the same, but a different brand.

I'm not, nor have I ever been "married" to my phone. When I'm at home it sits on a shelf in the kitchen. When I'm out, it's either in a pocket or my purse. There have been several times when I've come in from hanging clothes or been working outside and discovered I'd missed a call. Leave a message.

When we're at the theatre, dinner, wedding/funeral/baptism, etc., or some other important event, or doctor's office, our phones are off. We have voicemail feature and if anything is so important, the caller can leave a message. There have been countless occasions when we've simply forgotten to take our phones when we left the house, but nothing earth-shattering happened.

I've just never been a phone person. That may have been because my father, a country doctor who made house calls, required that the phone remain as free as possible so his patients/hospital could reach him. My siblings and I respected that and understood that it was a tool to his livelihood.

I love new technology, but a phone just doesn't do it for me.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

I read the papers on my phone. Use it as an alarm clock and calendar. Participate on message boards. Review work documents. Email. Watch Hells Kitchen. Watch David Chang make ramen. Check the weather radar. Videotape my tennis partner. Play scrabble with my sister in Minneapolis. Google everything. Buy stuff on Amazon. Learn Korean. Check maps when I'm lost or when I want to look a location up. Take great pictures. Note names of people I've just met since I'm forgetful. Play Angry Birds. Look up the planets I see in the sky. Listen to music. Listen to the radio. Listen to Logan Airport final approach chatter. Use it to buy lunch without cash. It's my Acela ticket, too.

Pretty remarkable little device.

« Texas | trivia 6/4 »