Challenge yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
When was the last time you picked up something -- hobby, new class, you name it -- to challenge yourself? I'm mostly thinking of those of us for whom youth is but a memory, but anyone can join in. I am quite tall and not thin (actually, I'm a gal but am about the same size as an average man my age)(genes, what can ya say?). A few months ago a new friend started a belly dancing class. Normally this wouldn't be a far stretch for me, but it was scheduled for evenings, so I took a pass. Well, she broke her ankle, and when she rescheduled I felt the need to be a supportive friend. So I spent yesterday evening wriggling and working it! Not to mention laughing and having a blast.

Good for you Claire! Several years ago, I had quit my job as a nurse (25 years in various positions) and a friend was taking sign language class. I went to support her and found a new language and career! Every time I use my hands to communicate, I'm grateful to her for the introduction to a new skill and I am challenged to find the best way to use my new language.

LOL, I promise never to take a belly-dance class, it would definitely scare the horses!
Current projects--ongoing experimentation with obscure (to me) cuisines, some of which actually work!
And doing lots more music biz consulting and wondering if it's a sign of the times...thirst for knowledge on which to build a career or "just gimme the shortcuts and I'll be a star"

bout ten years ago, when I retired at age 48, I was concerned that I was leaving a mentally challenging job and wanted to undertake some kind of challenging endeavor the keep the ole mind sharp.....since I had long wanted to learn to play the piano, I took piano lessons. I had played the clarinet for 8 years in grade, jr. high and high school so I understood the treble clef, but had not one clue what the bass clef was about. I took lessons from a married couple, both professional musicians, and had two very different teachers. The woman had me learn by the John Thompson book series, while the husband just asked me to play/practice what I wanted. I mainly had the woman as my teacher. I was obsessed with my lessons for about 10 months and progressed quite well. I basically reached my goal, which was to be able to play Christmas carols. I also learned that I would never be able to site read piano music, I would have to learn each piece by practicing. I still play a bit. I bought a digital piano that is made for beginners; it has a built in metronome and a recording feature so you can play back what you played....quite informative and humbling to listen to yourself:blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom