"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Life

[QUOTE=buckytom;546345]itk, good to see you. i was just thinking of you the other day, and hoped you were well, and still checking in here.

thanks buckytom for your kind comments. Don't get to hear positive remarks like you always give. I feel the same about you. How is your family and your birds doing? I won't forget the time you told us about them. Don't that add something to your life? Computer couldn't replace them, your family or your birds? I just feel computer should be kept with the right balance. Not denying yourself sleep or excluding your friends or family. Everybody goes to their rooms and spends hours in one spot. I only wish weather were nice I could make them feel guilty about doing yard work or some kind of outdoor activity.

It definitely is a support whenever you need it. That is just it, the resources are certainly plentiful. If only my dear grandma would have known about Discuss Cooking. Her life would have been lot more easy. Instead of trial and error with 8 kids and most of them disabled, the questions she could have had answered. Would have given her so much comfort to know there was personal help at her fingertips.

I certainly find you people so intelligent. But you do still need people, don't you? Many times I complain that people disappoint me but I am not perfect either. Have to keep trying. Trying to understand that we all have something to give to each other.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your valuable time. I won't forget it.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My job (Web site manager) wouldn't exist if it weren't for computers and the Internet And I probably would never have discovered that I am artistic if not for computers - I can't draw for anything, but I can put together electronic elements to create a pleasing design, and I can take digital (or scanned paper) photos and make something new out of them.

I have a close friend who recently met a man on eharmony.com. I think it was pretty personal, actually. They both had to fill out online forms with a lot of personal information about themselves, and after that, when the site included them as compatible with each other, they corresponded through email for a week or two, and then had lunch. And then dinner. And then more dinners, and trips, etc. They live in different, but adjoining, cities and have mostly different interests, so they never would have met otherwise. They're having a wonderful time together

I think it's important to maintain a balance. My friends and I go to dinner together once a week and keep in touch usually through email the rest of the time; most of my family lives out of state, so we keep in touch with email as well as phone calls. I know when I first got a computer, in 1988 or so (my mom gave me one when they upgraded PCs at the company she owned), and then discovered CompuServe, I was so fascinated, I spent hours and hours online. I think that happens with a lot of people, but in my case, that interest led eventually to the job I have now. But I do limit my time on the computer, and DH and I go biking and kayaking together and with friends when the weather is good. So I try to keep a good balance of both. And DH will let me know when I'm spending too much time online

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

For the better here. I am fanatic about knowing what everything I have never heard of before is. Used to, I would have to look in the Encyclopedias and Medical books. Now, I just go for the keyboard LOL
Plus, I get to have friends that I would never have any other way.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I enjoy the computer and use it an awful lot to get information - also to check others' opinions on subjects I see posted. I have made some honest to goodness friends on a couple of women's sites. When my sister lived in Germany we kept up with each other every day and it didn't really seem like she was so far away. We still email each other, but we phone each other a lot also. Dh uses the computer to find all the things he needs to work on his hobbies and to stay in contact with people he worked with for years and who he probably wouldn't be calling. The one negative - I have to keep exercising to counteract the time I sit here.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Computer has changed my life.

I was a teacher of Biology previously. A year after my marriage I had blood vomit and it was diagonised that I had developed oesophageal ulcer and doctor told me to took long rest and I also had to take my meal timely, but long leave was not granted from my school so I quit my job.

But I became bored after some day then my husband gave me this idea of online job ( he is in SEO field, although he don't help me in my job, he told me that I should learn myself and that is the process of proper learning)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
Master Chef

where or where was the computer when I was in high school and university? I had term papers due every semester of college even in a biology class! Trying to arrange and rearrange notecards was a pain and let's not even discuss using that ancient typewriter. It's a great resource for me. I love skype as I can keep in touch with family 12 time zones away and I love itunes as I now have an itouch ipod and can down download movies as well as music off of the internet or load existing DVD's onto it. Some of the flights out of here have nothing to watch for nearly 6 hours. Now I have my itouch---and of course there's DC which I check at least twice a day if I'm at home. I also love Google---any question that I have I just type it in and nearly always find the answer--as we're limited as to the weight of stuff we can bring it really cuts down on lugging a bunch of reference books that would take up space otherwise.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

radhuni, your hubby is a wise man. i can't count how many m.b.a.'s i've had to "teach" how things work over the years, both technically and diplomatically.

t.g., count me in as one of those friends. now, don't smoke!

i.t.k., the birds are well, my grey, louie, turned 20 this past fall. he's ok, but he either hurt his foot recently, or is getting arthritis in it. i hope it's the former, and he gets better. i'll have to look into the effects of glucosamine in birds. in any case, he's still talking up a storm. still perfectly imitating my mom and dad, my (deceased) mil, my wife, my son, ozzy, and any just about any sound that he hears with regularity. he recently learned to whistle the beginning of "what a day for a daydream", from a commercial that ran incessantly on a radio i have playing in their room.
beethoven, my cockatoo, got out of his cage the other day, the little houdini that he is, and proceeded to have a day of freedom. fortuntely, he only destroyed a bag of garbage that i had forgotten to take out that morning when i cleaned their cages.

getting back to computers, one of the best parts of my job is that i get to spend a good bit of time online. that allows me to balance things by concentrating on my family and my life. i rarely go online at home. i'd rather be playing with my boy, or digging in the garden. or both .
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Enjoy & Safe

You truly must enjoy your birds the way you speak of them so dearly. Don't get upset when they make a mess. I sure hope nothing is seriously wrong with the birds foot. You have such endearing names for them.Thanks for keeping me up to date about the birds. One is 20 years. I didn't think anything lived that long. Must know you pretty well. Always enjoy your comment

Take good care of your family, including the birds and hope his foot heals. Don't want to have to get them crutches. I know you keep things in balance.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

window

i am seventy years old and live alone. the puter is my window to the world. i shop a lot on line, including groceries.

i have learned so much and am on my third puter.

babe
Old 02-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #20
Master Chef

I contribute in this forum, but I don't have any online 'friends' per se. I worked in computer for a long time, and am a complete tech junkie so you could say they have had a profound impact on my life.
I got into computers because they don't lie, they deal in logic and make sense, if you take care of them they take care of you, easy to fix, easy to upgrade, brings me hours of entertainment and asks nothing in return, and every time I turn around they are doing something new to attract my attention.

Computers have just always 'spoken' to me and made sense. Something reliable in an unreliable world, something constant.

I am told I need to spend less time with them :(