Changes in your taste buds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthyfoodie

Senior Cook
there are some foods that I used to love and now hate. And then there are some that I used to hate that I now love. Even if I don't think I like something, I'll try it every now and then, just to see if somehow my tastes have changed along the way. Have your tastes changed, what do you love that you used to hate?

used to hate, now I love: i didn't like most of these because of the way they looked or their texture. but once i got used to them, they were added to the "must have list" :) blue cheese, hot sauce, indian food, curries, peas

used to love, now I hate: there isn't much that I hate, but two of them are green bell peppers, chinese fast food

since I grew up eating basically meat and potatos (yep, we're irish, salt was considered adding spices), my tastes were relatively undeveloped when i moved out on my own. but, i've always been willing to try new food even when i was a kid.

My likes and dislikes have not changed that much. I have found new foods along the way. Well, I don't like chuck roast as well as I used too. My grand-mother used to say "too beefy" Ha! Now I understand...

I used to hate mushrooms as a kid, they used to scare me just looking at them, so I never even Tried to eat one, Now I love em :)

I used to eat Loads of Chocolate, as a kid and up to my mid 20`s, now I maybe eat the equiv of a snickers bar in a year, it`s something I MUST be in the mood for and then only a small amount.

and I still don`t like eggs!
(unless it`s in Fried rice or something like a cake or mayo where it`s nothing like Egg).

When I was a child, just the smell of mac n cheese would gag me, now I enjoy it. The things I have always liked, I still do. OH - asparagus, I would only eat it out of the can, now I grill or roast it alot.

As a child, butternut squash used to make me gag. Of course, my parents insiste I eat some whenever it was served. Now it's a favorite veggie.

I disliked rhubarb as a child and haven't given it another chance so that may belong on the list.

:) As a kid I hated brussel sprouts,cabbage,ham,pizza,mayonaise ,peas I like them now.I liked hotdogs,bologna I hate bologna now and have yet found a hotdog I like I also lost my taste for sardines as a kid I loved them.Theres more Im sure.

I find it interesting how my tastes change. For many years I tried to come up with ways to "avoid" the fresh asparagus my mother-in-law served regularly. She graciously accepted my avoidance of this veggie.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago when the place I worked at had a Friday free-for-all lunch day. One of my co-workers brought asparagus with a kind of cheese sauce. Don't know. The switch went on and I loved it. Now I will eat asparagus.

I still haven't found the switch that turns me on to Brussels sprouts. Perhaps that will take another 10 years.:LOL:

As a child, I did anything to avoid, duck,long story about my pet duck, headcheese, Milk,okra,butter and hot cereal...All of the above made me gag and gag..To this day duck,milk,okra, headcheese being 8 and finding the whole hog head in the refrdigerator, and hot cereal of any kind make me gag and :sick: Butter is another story..love using it and enjoy it on toast and muffins..I've also developed a taste for black sausage..The first time it was offered to me, I about died, and swore I'd never indulge..Well I was bet a nice little sum to take one bite..I did and now can eat more than my DH at the feed we go to each february:LOL: So, while somethings never change, this girl sure did...PS.
I still have that $100.00 from the bet
kadesma:)

Last edited:
My mom always told me, growing up, that your tastes change about every seven years. This has really held true for me. When I was little, I could not stand any form of eggs. By 14 I was finally able to tolerate egg salad, by 21 I liked scrambled eggs, and now I like eggs cooked just about any way (just not hard cooked yolks in a fried egg--they have to be completely runny).

:) Barbara

As a child I was a problematic eater, read that as a pain in the rear to feed.

My mom however was a saint and put up with me.

Then as I grew up I learned to like almost everything.

Except, and if there is a place for eternal punishment and I wind up there, they will serve nothing but boiled eggs and bananas. Blechh, blechh, a kazillion times blechh.

My tastes went south last Thanksgiving. All of a sudden things that used to smell wonderful smelled nasty. The first time I noticed it was when I was making turkey soup from the carcase of the turkey. It just smelled bad, and my husband was telling me how great the house smelled. I've been told many reasons for this. Menopause, and maybe a minor stroke. (I'm 52). Do you know what I miss? Watermelon and Cucumbers. Two of my very favorites, and they smell and taste awful. I keep looking at them and thinking of how much I loved them. Now this should be a minor thing, but I truly miss enjoying them. I still grow cukes, and give them away. Why, though, are these very mild-flavored summer favorites now taste and smell terrible to me, out of the blue?

Claire, I think you should ask your physician about that.

I was always adventurous about trying new things, thanks to my grandfather, who loved fine food. But there were still things that I didn't like: hot cereals, rice pudding, tapioca pudding, and coffee are things I still can't stand.
I also didn't like dressing (stuffing), turkey, sweet potatoes, beans, spinach, and salads. But as I grew older, and tasted other people's cooking, I learned how to like all the above.
I found that dressing could be wonderfully tasty, moist on the inside and crisp and crusty on the outside. I learned how to cook a turkey so it wasn't dry and tough, and found it one of the most economical, nutritious and versatile meats available.
I learned that one didn't have to smother sweet potatoes with nuts, maple juice and little marshmallows, and that one could simply bake them and serve with butter.
Poverty taught me to eat ham'n beans with cornbread, and I found that they can be pretty darned tasty!
I discovered that spinach doesn't have to be slimy, and that salads didn't have to have radishes, cucumbers and raw onions on them.
I had never eaten rice except in pudding or as a hot cereal with butter and milk on it, but once I move to the south, I discovered rice as an alternative to potatoes or noodles, and it became one of my favorite foods (especially when I discovered Cajun cooking).

Last edited:
Dave Hutchins said:
If you like Indian food have you ever tried Samosa's curried mashed potatoes and peas. I had some in Orange county Cal. andthey were spot on.

love them! and my boyfriend's brother's girlfriend (ugh, read that one 10 times fast...) is indian and we went over to her mom's house for a cooking lesson, for authentic home made indian food. she taught us all about the different spices, which was great, because there are so many that they can be a bit intimidating to someone who doesn't use all those spices (like tumeric, cumin, mustard seed, garam masala... all stuff I never really used before). we made aloo matter, palak paneer (one of my favorites!), channa masala, pakora, roti, poori. It was awesome! And I made that stuff all through the winter (too hot now). i can't get enough. hopefully lesson 2 will be soon.

My husband and I "discovered" Indian food on a trip to Hong Kong about 20 years ago. So once or twice a year I'd go all out and make a big Indian meal. A few years ago, though, we started going out with a couple -- she's originally from England, he from Pakistan (which was India when he was born). She introduced me to a line of foods called "Kitchens of India". We cannot get them here in town, but can in Dubuque, and when she visits from Chicago, she brings some (Whole Foods sells them).

I have to laugh, though, at one of my Big Indian Blow Outs. I made Tandoori chicken. That lovely red color comes from ... well, food coloring. Friends of ours had never had Indian food. He was shocked a day later when he discovered that he was ... well, how can I put this? He had bright red byproducts in the toilet. We all laughed hysterically.

I believe that my taste buds have changed not due to age but due to being more open and adventurous and trying different things and taking it in a stride.

Growing up in India as a child there was not much variety. Every food was spiced with a set array of spices and herbs. The only non Indian food that was popular there was Chinese and that was also more Indo-Chinese that was spiced up and tailored for the Indian taste buds. India 20 years ago did not have other continental type of cuisine.

When I moved to the US I was a teenager and was determined to try different things. Over the years I started enjoying more types of foods. I just came back from a vacation where we were in U.K., Nederlands and Austria and each region had their own distinct food and trying the local stuff was a lot of fun even for my young boys. BTW the Apfelstrudel in Vienna is a must try.

I have observed that visiting different countries and eating their food is so much fun. You learn about their culture, get tips from the locals (we did that a lot during this trip and also during a trip to Eygpt we had in December) and get to experience their way of life.

taste does change and mature ... and yes prenancy and menopause do alter one's taste for awhile as chemicals adjust in one's body.

Never having much of a sweet tooth, I really don't now...my fave desert is the cheese plate (altho a spicy pumpkin or sweet potato pie, and a tart lemon or key lime pie will still interest me.)

liking dark green leafies and hearty roots like beets and rutabagas came late, around age 35. Perhaps this was more the method of cooking had to be discovered.

Fresh really helps. As for those strong cabages and sprouts...cook with bacon or pancetta, roast the haved sprouts in the oven with thyme and garlic and panceta until golden ...oh so good ... saute cabbage in bacon with shallots and a little white wine or vinegar or broth. yum.

Yakuta said:
I believe that my taste buds have changed... due to being more open and adventurous and trying different things and taking it in a stride.
My daughter didn't like to try new foods at home. She was always suspicious. But when she went to her friends' houses she ate whatever they ate. She tried, and learned to love, many different things that way. Her best friend's mom is Korean, so a lot of the food Nancy ate growing up was Korean. She learned how to use chopsticks a lot younger than I did. LOL

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom