"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Changes in your taste buds?

there are some foods that I used to love and now hate. And then there are some that I used to hate that I now love. Even if I don't think I like something, I'll try it every now and then, just to see if somehow my tastes have changed along the way. Have your tastes changed, what do you love that you used to hate?

used to hate, now I love: i didn't like most of these because of the way they looked or their texture. but once i got used to them, they were added to the "must have list" :) blue cheese, hot sauce, indian food, curries, peas

used to love, now I hate: there isn't much that I hate, but two of them are green bell peppers, chinese fast food

since I grew up eating basically meat and potatos (yep, we're irish, salt was considered adding spices), my tastes were relatively undeveloped when i moved out on my own. but, i've always been willing to try new food even when i was a kid.

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My likes and dislikes have not changed that much. I have found new foods along the way. Well, I don't like chuck roast as well as I used too. My grand-mother used to say "too beefy" Ha! Now I understand...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I used to hate mushrooms as a kid, they used to scare me just looking at them, so I never even Tried to eat one, Now I love em :)

I used to eat Loads of Chocolate, as a kid and up to my mid 20`s, now I maybe eat the equiv of a snickers bar in a year, it`s something I MUST be in the mood for and then only a small amount.

and I still don`t like eggs!
(unless it`s in Fried rice or something like a cake or mayo where it`s nothing like Egg).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

When I was a child, just the smell of mac n cheese would gag me, now I enjoy it. The things I have always liked, I still do. OH - asparagus, I would only eat it out of the can, now I grill or roast it alot.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

As a child, butternut squash used to make me gag. Of course, my parents insiste I eat some whenever it was served. Now it's a favorite veggie.

I disliked rhubarb as a child and haven't given it another chance so that may belong on the list.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

As a kid I hated brussel sprouts,cabbage,ham,pizza,mayonaise ,peas I like them now.I liked hotdogs,bologna I hate bologna now and have yet found a hotdog I like I also lost my taste for sardines as a kid I loved them.Theres more Im sure.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I find it interesting how my tastes change. For many years I tried to come up with ways to "avoid" the fresh asparagus my mother-in-law served regularly. She graciously accepted my avoidance of this veggie.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago when the place I worked at had a Friday free-for-all lunch day. One of my co-workers brought asparagus with a kind of cheese sauce. Don't know. The switch went on and I loved it. Now I will eat asparagus.

I still haven't found the switch that turns me on to Brussels sprouts. Perhaps that will take another 10 years.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

If you like Indian food have you ever tried Samosa's curried mashed potatoes and peas. I had some in Orange county Cal. andthey were spot on.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

As a child, I did anything to avoid, duck,long story about my pet duck, headcheese, Milk,okra,butter and hot cereal...All of the above made me gag and gag..To this day duck,milk,okra, headcheese being 8 and finding the whole hog head in the refrdigerator, and hot cereal of any kind make me gag and Butter is another story..love using it and enjoy it on toast and muffins..I've also developed a taste for black sausage..The first time it was offered to me, I about died, and swore I'd never indulge..Well I was bet a nice little sum to take one bite..I did and now can eat more than my DH at the feed we go to each february So, while somethings never change, this girl sure did...PS.
I still have that $100.00 from the bet
kadesma
Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom always told me, growing up, that your tastes change about every seven years. This has really held true for me. When I was little, I could not stand any form of eggs. By 14 I was finally able to tolerate egg salad, by 21 I liked scrambled eggs, and now I like eggs cooked just about any way (just not hard cooked yolks in a fried egg--they have to be completely runny).

Barbara