Chanuka Greeting Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
The Holiday of lights. "… we thank You for the miracles, for the redemption, for the mighty deeds, for the saving acts, and for the wonders which You have wrought for our ancestors in those days, at this time, in the days of Matityahu, the son of the High Priest… You delivered mighty into the hands of the weak … the wicked into the hands of righteous” …they …” entered … Your House … kindled the lights…, and instituted these eight days of Chanukah to give thanks and to praise Your great Name”

So, let us not forget these days ever. Happy Chanukah, and let the light of the Menorah in the holly Temple shine on us once again.

img_206156_0_f4b9055121e7f53d4446d9cda1605441.gif
To you and your Family CharlieD.....

Happy Chanukah to you and your family. I enjoy reading about the celebrations of ALL of us. The best to you.

Happy Chanukah Charlie! I hope you and your family have a great celebration. Eat lots of latkies. I know I will :mrgreen:

happy hannukah to everyone here, your families, and your loved ones.

a light that shines brightly shines best on all of us together.

Hey to celebrate Hannakuh we are opening our Secret Santa presents on the 1st day of Hannakuh.

Cameron

Hey GB, latkes are starting to poor out of my ears, and we have not had a big selebration just yet. It is planned for tomorow night at my huse some 35 close friends are comming. i'm making latkes, and if I'm lucky and the recipe works I have Russian Blini in the works (or whatever the saying is?).

Charlie I know what you mean. I feel like I am turning into one big latka LOL.
My mom made then on Sunday and this morning she told me the house still smells of them (and probably will until the new year).

Good luck with your celebration Charlie. 35 people is a lot :)

quick question: why is hannukah sometimes spelled with a c, sometimes without? i thought only hockey players from montreal did that c-h thing...

There are about a million ways to spell it. Channuka, Channukah, Hanuka, Hanukah, etc. As far as I know, there is not one correct way, but I could be wrong :cool:

Sorry to say GB, but you are wrong. There are letters in foreign languages that other foreigners cannot pronounce i. e. in this case. The letter of Hebrew alphabet that Chanukah starts with is very hard to pronounce for Americans for whatever reason, just as “TH” combination is impassible for me to pronounce, it either comes out as “C”, “S” or “Z”, but not “TH”. So it is the same here, the “CH” sounds is kind of the one you make when you have to clear the throat when something stock there, the closest one to the sound one should make is “H” sound. The first one represent letter Chet, the latter one represent letter Hey of Hebrew alphabet, two completely different sounds and using the second one you completely change the meaning of the word. So now, try to clear your throat as if there is something stock in the back of it. CHCHCHCHanuka, here you go. The only reason it is spelled the way it is because people can’t pronounce the letter, just like in the name Hannah, in Hebrew, and yes, it is Hebrew name, it should be spelled CHannah. Okay, did I confuse everybody enough because I can go on?

I respectfully disagree Charlie. While you are right in just about everything you said in that post, I do not agree that people spell it with an H because they can not pronounce it correctly. How hard something is to pronounce does not affect how it is spelled. In Hebrew there is only one way to spell it (as far as I am aware), but in English since it is a translation, there are many different ways. Just as a girl can be named Karen, Caren, or Karyn they are all pronounced the same way. If someone spells it Hannuka it should still be pronounced with the throat clearing CH sound.

GB said:
... If someone spells it Hannuka it should still be pronounced with the throat clearing CH sound.

You right there, unfortunately people do not pronounce it corectly, especially when they see "H".

Back
Top Bottom