"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Dryer Sheets

What brand of fabric sheets do you throw in dryer to make clothes smell good?

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
Head Chef
I use Bounce.....are they a global brand? I have no idea. I was just packing up our house for storage and I stuck one in each box too, lol. I have a theory that the washing powders/fabric softeners in yellow boxes have the most nuetral smell so I tend to go for those....I know, barking, absolutely barking mad.

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
this is so funny! Are you all in my house?!?!?! aah, the perpetual housecleaning cycle.... I just said to my fiance this weekend, I could quit my job and stay home, and the work here still would not be done! This is a funny one- thank goodness I can laugh about it now that I have cooled off. My fiance's weekends are on Tues and Weds, and like the rest of us, dangit, its the weekend and we wanna relax. So on a Friday, I go to get the pup some food, and I see three walmart bags, stuffed with......... yes, dirty dishes. I was fuming! Now I can giggle a little, but he had a hard week, and didn't feel like helping, but didn't want to be a bum either. He swears he was going to do them!

lulu, LOVE the car wax idea! My downstairs apt is ALL linoleum!!!
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I dont mind washing the clothes, but when there is alot and I forget they're in the dryer, I just turn the dryer back on to get the wrinkles out.

I never iron clothes

Lulu, we have bounce dryer sheets here, but I just use the store brand that smells the best.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
My best tip is this: remove your contacts or glasses when you're at home. What you don't see isn't really there, is it?!

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
DC Grandma
When Paul retired after 42 years total...so did my iron.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Shoot. I have way too much laundry to stick it back in the dryer tonight. Ah well, I'd best get folding.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We don't use dryer sheets in our house, but for those of you who do, please follow a simple safety step.

The dryer sheets are impregnated with the softner/non-cling components. Regular use of these products can hamper the functioning of your dryer and make the motor work harder. This is caused by the lint trap being clogged with the softener/non-cling residue. The lint isn't filtered properly and this could lead to overheating and, in some cases, a dryer fire.

To test your lint filter, remove it, clean all the visible lint from it and then run it under your kitchen faucet with running water. If the lint filter allows the water to run through it like a colander, your filter is just fine. If the water runs off the filter and doesn't pass through, your filter is blocked.

Just give it a good soap-and-water wash and run water over it again. This time it should run through just fine. Try to do this about once a month if you use your dryer frequently. Your dryer will last longer and you could avoid a dangerous dryer fire.

Even though we don't use dryer sheets here, I still test my filter occasionally.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #19
Master Chef
Corrinne, you cracked me up. I noticed in recent years my mother doesn't wear her glasses as much as she used to. I inherited her vision, and trust me, we are legally blind w/o them. Now I know why! I own a very old house, and they sprout dust bunnies and cobwebs like crazy. Selective vision is the only answer! I believe in every shortcut known to mankind. I have friends who smoke, and though they do not in my house ... or even their own ... on Friday nights I find myself reeking of smoke after our usual happy hour get-togethers. I spray the clothes with febreeze then run them through the dryer (with no heat if they are wool). This will sound stupid, but to make us get up and clean house, I make sure we have some sort of company very regularly -- be it a brunch, supper, cocktails, whatever. It makes us get up and clean the house. I put up a lace curtain over half of the bathroom/mudroom/laundry room, and often just dump everything in sight into the bathtub and draw the curtain when entertaining last-minute. Luckily virtually everyone in town also live in 100+ year old houses and have similar problems with the dust bunnies and cobwebs. We all mutually agree to look the other way.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #20
Head Chef
I use bounce. My trick is that I put them in all my shoes.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote